Friday, February 6, 2009

Me in a Nutshell!


(Look this is me in a nutshell!) - Austin Powers - no?!? Anyway ... on with the blog!


I was born. I went to school. I graduated. I am now a blogaholic.

But how did I get here??

In kindergarten I loved Michael Jackson. I would bring my red tape player to school and get the whole class to dance around to MJ before and after school. In second grade I loved Boy George. I thought his make up, hair and clothes were so pretty! Music started to becoming more of a factor in my life, not just through the snazzy Boy George, but I also started taking piano lessons. That same year, I went to Disneyland with my mom and fell in love. I knew I just HAD to work there some day. In the sixth grade I wrote an essay about Eli Whitney and the cotton gin, which won me a trip to OMSI to meet Harrison "Jack" Schmitt - one of the Apollo 17 astronauts (the last mission to the moon). From that moment on I wanted to be an astronaut. More specifically I want to be the first woman to walk on the moon.

Junior high brought me more into the music of the world. We went to tons of shows - Phantom multiple times, Miss Saigon, Les Miserable, yada yada yada. I was also in Concert Band playing the flute, bells, chimes, etc... and Jazz band playing the piano. Music was my life and I wanted to be a professional musician and play in the orchestra for my favorite shows.

Seventh grade also brought me Silence of the Lambs. My mom didn't want me to see the movie after she read the book. I won! I was there opening night, and about 5 or 6 more nights after that. It became my favorite movie and I wanted to be Clarice Starling. I started reading books about serial killers and watching movies like the Deliberate Stranger and Helter Skelter.

In high school I started to lose my passion for playing music because my teacher was a total lame ass. But high school also introduced me to accounting. I took nearly every business class available to me. By the time graduation arrived I had won department awards up to wazoo for business. I knew then I wanted to be a CPA and opening my own accounting firm.

I went to college as a business student. Eh, it was okay - but not as much fun as high school. I wanted to do debits and credits, not listening to some guy babble to me about "sig-uh-mah square". That's all I could understand. I decided to be a music minor. That lasted 3 days. So I started taking more classes from the College of Liberal Arts. Art, Theater, Photography, Writing, Psychology.

Business and I weren't getting along. I took Intro to Fiction Writing and had the coolest teacher ever. He said to us, on our first day, "You know all those rules you learned in Writing 121 and high school? Well forget them. Write what you want. Write HOW you want." The best thing I have ever written was in that class, yet sadly I can't write fiction, so I just disguised the truth a bit! This class made me want to switch majors to become a writer.

But then I also considered Pharmacy or being a Vulcanologist or being a Veterinarian. My part-time job through college was at a travel agency. Naturally that made me want to be a travel agent so I could travel and see the world!

After my first day of Psych 101 I knew I had to switch majors. I was really good at it, understood it, and loved it. I found myself happily studying all the time and eager to take more classes. Psychology felt more "Clarice Starling" to me - and my advisor even talked just like her!

In the end I graduated with a BS in Psychology. I love to say that. BS and Psychology in the same sentence - just seems too silly! I never did have a minor, although I probably could have just minored in business since it was my major for the first 3 years. All of this switching around in my mind, and I still graduated in just 4 years! Gotta love summer school! Nothing like listening to a guy with a major Czechoslovakian type accent at 8am on a summer morning talk about the brain and its behavior!

So here I am now. A former Disney World cast member, now working in the accounting field; Inspired by almost any good song I hear; Reading Psychology Today just for fun; Teaching myself to play the accordion; longing to learn the cello, still playing the piano and occasionally the flute; Trying to be a painter; Taking pictures of everything - including any animal I can find; Doing a lot of traveling; Going back to NASA this year for my second visit... And writing about it all!

This -- all of the above -- is how I became this quirky girl that just LOVES to write about whatever I want, however I want. I don't even know or care if I have an audience. I just love to write it down and get it out there!

Maybe next I will write a detailed telling of synapses and the brain, and mix in some sig-uh-mah square and Freud for you all!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading my little blog, your comments rock my compression socks!! ºoº