Thursday, February 5, 2009

Spontaneity Should Be Easy, Right?


I have a tendency to get whims and plan spur of the moment trips. The idea of a spontaneous vacation sounds so fun, yet I find myself being a little bit like Martin Short in Captain Ron. And I shall now quote one of the best lines of the movie:

"I worked very hard to plan a spontaneous vacation!"

And that is me to a tee!

Sure the idea to go to Las Vegas was something that I thought about for maybe 30 seconds before telling my friend (Lori) that she and I should go away on a Girls Only Weekend. It took her all of 30 seconds to say Okay! This was about 2 or 3 weeks ago. We are now 1 week from take off and the spontaneity of it has disappeared and now I am becoming the ultimate planner.

Today Lori and I went to lunch. Once seated at our table out came her note pad/planner. Immediately we had four columns - one for each day of the trip. Under each day we found ourselves listing what we wanted to do.

Friday: Coyote Ugly, NYNY, liquor store!
Saturday: Titanic, see Alex in his drag show
Sunday: Phantom
Monday: :( home

So a rough plan - no biggie, right? Yeah, if only!

I am now trying to figure out how to accomplish all I need so that I feel prepared. Tonight I started by getting my hair cut and in proper vacation condition. I'm looking at my hands now. Is it too late to have a wonder cure for my cracked skin before we hit Sin City? Hm. Legs - those need to get tanned. Toe nails will need a fresh paint job. Finger nails - looking good, but a touch up won't hurt. Is the iPod play list officially completed? No - David Bowie. Lori wanted David Bowie. Still need to watch Swingers one more time, too. One more round of Vegas Vacation wouldn't hurt either. Need to get Tinker Bell ready for her trip to Grammy's house. Dishes should probably be washed first, too. Oy!

Packing. I'm overwhelmed at the thought. How can I pack light when I need my day clothes and my night clothes, with some spare options for "just in case" moments? And then I need to get both cameras fully charged, all memory cards wiped clean, batteries in the iPod speakers, Nintendo DS charged and a game or two packed. Make up? I'll just pack it all! I would hate to get there and not have THE essential color I may need. Jewelry. Wow. Hm. I guess if it is black or red it will go. The rest can stay. Shoes - flip-flops, obviously. And heels. Definitely need my "Mommy Dearest" shoes. .... which most would translate into "F*** Me" shoes. I choose to honor Joan Crawford when discussing my shoes.

Saturday is going to be a day of suitcases. (Ooh - phone charger!) A day of trying on outfits and making sure they look okay together. Checking things off of my list. Oh yes - did I neglect to mention that for every trip I go on I have an organized and typed out packing list that I make in Excel? But really, how else can you KNOW you have everything you may need? While there, if Lori needs a nail file - she'll know that I have one. Lint brush? Got it! Jet black eye shadow? Got it! Party camera for drunken nights of dancing? Got it!


I'm so overwhelmed.

Spontaneity is exhausting.

But it is totally worth it!

1 comment:

  1. I'm sooo there! I might need a copy of the spreadsheet to get me going in the right direction. I'm always the one that doesn't pack everything, like going to the Oregon Coast with a jacket!

    PS I screwed up my sign in name. I clicked ok and realized I hadn't corrected it. Are you sure you are the blond?

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading my little blog, your comments rock my compression socks!! ºoº