Monday, March 16, 2009

My Online Reality

Often I am given a strange look when people hear that some of my closest friends are people I initially met online before meeting in person. Thanks to sites like myspace and Facebook, I have been able to reconnect with friends as close as across the street and as far Indonesia. But I have also made brand friends. Meet a few screen-names that turned into real life friends!


* Amy (Key'Lolo). In 2006 she messaged me on myspace to see if we used to go to church together. We didn't, but as it turns out we lived just down the street from each other. After nearly a year of talking online we met in person when I picked her up on the way to a party. We hit it off instantly - and quite a few crazy nights together!

* "Pirate" Bob. I don't even know what one thing it was that brought Bob and I together. I just always knew he was cool. He intrigued me. He came across as this really nice, almost shy guy - but I knew that there was a dirty, wilder side to him. You didn't disappoint me, Bob! On my 29th birthday I had the pleasure of Bob literally sweeping me off my feet, when I tackled him for a hug, before we went cruising around Phoenix in his bitchin' mini-van. He helped me have a rad birthday, and I suspect we'll meet again. Any straight guy that will drive me around and join me in 4 gay bars in one night - he's a keeper!


* "HHN" Brian. We met on myspace in 2005. I knew right away he was way cool. His page could have been my profile page - we had that many shared favorites. I mean really, who else do I know that loves Robbie Williams? That Fall we met up at the Magic Kingdom. Since then we have hung out every year during my Disney vacations. We have had some crazy, insane fun together! Parliament House was a BLAST!! And sign language is just not as much fun with anyone other than Brian! This year will be our 5th round of silliness and Long Island Iced Teas together!

* "Little" Brian. Our online relationship was pretty short before meeting. A couple of yahoo chats here and there; myspace comments now and then. All that changed last October. I instantly adored the little hottie when we met on OUR 10-day Disney World vacation together. He is such a doll. He could always make me smile, even when I was feeling miserable and sick. I had so much fun wandering around tipsy, singing Katy Perry songs with him. So cute, I want to carry him around in my purse with me. Brian - some day we HAVE to hang out again!!

* Deb - The Old Broad. Where do I start?? A friend suggested we be myspace friends. We knew all the same people and lived in the same town, but had never actually met. Finally, after knowing each other inside and out, we got to meet just about this time last year. Since then we've hung out quite a few times - always so much fun, she is a riot!! We been there for each other during our highs and lows, always ready for support for the one who needs it. I expect to see much more of her come football season. Go Beavs!!

* Greg, aka my little Greggy-pants, aka SNJ. So adorable and he doesn't even know it! Greg and I became friends in 2007. We'd talk until late into the night, text during the day, even have 3 way phone calls with our 3rd Musketeer. He was just such a cutie pie. It hit me - we need to go on vacation together! The same time I met Little Brian was the same time I finally got to meet my little Greggy in person. So much fun! Our first night together we got stuck on the Haunted Mansion. The two of us had a blast conducting a very 'serious' interview and sharing some "water". Mmm, it was yummy! I am so glad we got to finally meet. He is really a great person with such a great heart. I just love listening to Greg laugh - its almost contagious!

* Ronnie. (TiredOldSpook). Dude. How long have I known you anyway? I want to say maybe 2005? I think you're my first internet friend made, but not the first one met. .... I first saw his screen name appear ages ago on Halloween Horror Nights discussion boards. It wasn't until I saw him on myspace and I messaged him about recognizing him that we became friends. He loves cheese. And Butch Patrick. I think he and Bob are being BFFs behind my back. In 2007 I had the pleasure of hanging with Ronnie at Jellyrolls in Orlando. What a sport - putting up with me and my friends! We had a pretty quick meeting up at Halloween Horror Nights last year, but he kind of swooped in and out like a whirlwind. By the time I realized he was there, he was gone!

* Shannon. I want to write more about you - (that's just my way of saying LET'S HANG OUT!!!) Shannon was Heather's friend, and somehow she just became mine, too. We both love Justin Timberlake. And have about 1000 other things the same, too! She helps me shop for MAC make-up. Thank goodness for texting!! I am so happy to say that finally, after who knows how long, we met!! AND ... it was at the MAC counter - naturally! That was, oh, less than a month ago! We shared tequila that night, and instantly became fast friends while experiencing one of those nights where "what happened at the party stayed at the party". Shannon is so freaking cool! I'm happy we're friends. Okay - so whatever, Shannon - move in! Time to be roomies. Your kids and husband won't care. ;-)

* Jessica. She completes me. Is that gay to say? Whatever - she is way cooler than any little paragraph could ever describe. I want to say we met in 2006 on myspace. A friend said, "R****, you HAVE to add this girl. You'll love her!" I looked at her profile page and knew my friend was right! She had anti-Phil Collins statements AND Buffalo Bill on her profile page. She was rad!! Of course I added her and we became really good friends. We live 2 hours apart, so meeting up would take work. We decided, last year, to meet in person, at Oregon's own Enchanted Forest. Such a perfect place for the two of us! Since then I've been up to visit her quite a few times. Her cat Porter is so handsome, if I do say so myself. Hannibal, the hamster, well, he's not so social yet, but I'll give him some time. This year we are getting some, mmm, artistic? work done to our bodies together. I can't wait! And of course Enchanted Forest is going to see us again. But even more exciting is our vacation. I am so excited to be able to show Jessica the place I called home for 3 years when we go on a 10 day vacation to Walt Disney World together. I know it will be so much fun - with Jessica, everything is fun! I think hardly a day goes by that we don't text. I find it super easy to tell her things that I can't tell anybody else. When I need advice, she's part of the "Circle of Trust" that gets to hear the inside scoop. I am so happy we met online and in person, and I can't wait to see her again!!

* Mike. (club33az). He is last, and that's because he is NOT the least. He is the yang to my yin. He is my number one gay; I am his hag and biggest fan. I cannot imagine life without Mike. When I'm sad, he's there to cheer me up, or tell me I'm being a baby! We have complete honesty with each other - something I'm learning is very rare in this day and age. Oh gosh, I didn't even start at the beginning. Let's see... our friendship started in 2006. I would read his posts on discussion boards and think how he seemed so level headed and cool. He posted that he would be away in Chicago for a few days - I used that opportunity to send him the first of many of our "private messages" to tell him I'd miss his posts while he was away. From then on we became fast friends. Oh my, the things Mike knows that NOBODY else ever gets to hear! We got along so great online, and sealed the deal in person in 2007 when he picked me up at the airport in Phoenix, Arizona. I suppose I should have been nervous about meeting a stranger at the airport, but when we met it just felt like seeing an old friend. I can't even write this now without smiling while thinking about him. He, with Bob, helped show me the Phoenix nightlife and gave me a birthday to remember forever! I never imagined I'd turn 29 in the parking lot of a gay leather bar. I love that bar. In January 2008 we got to see each other again when I went to visit and stay the weekend with him and Clark. I had my own room and everything! I love staying at their house. Cuddling up on their couch with a milkshake and the Godfather and Family Guy, what beats that?? Maybe horseback riding in the desert? Oh yeah, we did that, too! But it doesn't end there .... Mike was the 4th person, the glue to our group, on our trip to Walt Disney World. I swear we both almost peed from excitement when we met up at the Orlando airport! Many nights of sharing a bed, and he never made a move? What the hell?? Ha ha - just kidding! I'm not sure how I was able to say good bye at the end without bursting out into even more uncontrollable sobbing, but I am the girl - I had to be the strong one between the two of us. Mike is amazing. Our friendship is one to be envied!


1 comment:

  1. I feel so honored to have meet you, You are a true original. And amazing photo Poser. Oct this year I promise a longer visit.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading my little blog, your comments rock my compression socks!! ºoº