Sunday, March 8, 2009

Psych 101

I am a big fan of Freud. I love Psychology. I had been a business major for nearly 3 years before I took Psych 101 and immediately switched majors. I occasionally read articles from Psychology Today online just for fun. I love it when other people share my interest in it and especially love it when people understand my wanting to figure out statistics with control groups, placebos, yada yada yada ..... So I figured why not babble on about psychology tonight!

Tonight's topic .... the Oedipus and Electra Complexes.

I think most people are familiar with the phrase Oedipus complex, but perhaps aren't as familiar with Electra complex. Carl Jung created the phrase "Electra" complex as the female version of Freud's Oedipus complex. So basically it is a phrase for those women with the daddy issues.

The Oedipus complex is far more common in conversation than Electra, but I imagine both are equally interesting. I decided NOT to refer to old psych text books tonight, for fear of getting too involved. Instead I just thought I'd point out how entertaining the Oedipus complex can be. Sure we've all referred to it at some point, haven't we? Well, okay, those of us that have had any schooling should just know about it off the top of our heads.

To quote something said on the Wikipedia page about Freud's theory: "In classical theory, individuals who are fixated at the oedipal level are 'mother-fixated' or 'father-fixated', and reveal this by choosing sexual partners who are discernible surrogates for their parent(s)."

I, no offense to you, dad ;-) have made sure to NOT fall under this category - as seen in my SWF ad where I didn't want anyone with my dad's name. I would not consider myself "father-fixated" at all. If we did a photo layout of males from my past, there pretty much are no resemblances to my father. Do I really want to date anyone that, (if in their looking like my father), looks at all like me?

I can't help but find it funny when I see a male (since we are discussing Oedipus tonight) that dates someone that looks so much like his own mother that you wonder is the mother hers or his? Talk about mommy issues! If his girlfriend looks like her so much, is that because he is fixated on mommy and needs a sexual partner that resembles her since he can't physicially be with his mother, although that's what his subconcious is telling him he wants?

2 comments:

  1. I loved psych too. I subscribe to Popular Psychology, which is really pretty entertaining and (as a designer) I really love their layouts and photos.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading my little blog, your comments rock my compression socks!! ºoº