Friday, January 1, 2010

10 Year Retrospective: 2000-2004


I thought I would challenge myself and try to do a decade in review. We'll see how this goes! A lot has happened over the last 10 years. I've lived in 3 cities in 2 different states, traveled across the U.S. multiple times, graduated from college, had a "party", divorced, adopted new pets, lost dear pets, lost friends, made new friends, been healthy, been sick ... lets just take a simple look, one year at a time!

2000
  • Moved into my first non-Disney owned apartment!
  • Adopted an adorable teeny kitten named Tinker Bell.
  • Rarely missed a Thirsty Thursday night out with the boys, with our nights ending at the Top of the Cock in a major dance fest.
  • Fully absorbed in studying psychology, I completed my final term at Oregon State University and earned my Bachelor of Science degree from the College of Liberal Arts. (See senior photo to the right! -->)
2001
  • I decided to further my education and take additional college courses to help prepare me for a "real" job.
  • Was accepted back for my 2nd round in the Walt Disney World College Program. (Nice "real" job, eh?!?)
  • Moved to Florida to begin my adult life in "Neverland" and quickly became a Kali Rapids Expedition Guide.
  • Was the token blond American girl in Anandapur at Disney's Animal Kingdom.




  • Became part of a brand new circle of friends, and met Brian, whom we all know now as my Florida BFF whom I really can't live without!
  • Successfully made it through character auditions and into the "character pool". Then quickly realized that I was crazy to think I wanted to be in a costume all day and decided not to pursue that idea anymore!
  • A huge highlight was meeting my Travel Channel idol, Samantha Brown. She wants me to call her Sam - 'cause we're tight like that!
  • Experienced my first and only full in-park evacuation on September 11.
2002
  • Became a trainer for Asia Attractions at Kali River Rapids and Caravan Stage.
  • Was fortunate enough to meet some more dear friends (shout out Robin! Sarah!)
  • Came back to Oregon for one last hoorah with Grandma.  :(
  • Had a "party" where I wore a poofy white dress and ate some cake. Egh - moving on....
  • Partied pretty damn hard every Tuesday night at Jellyrolls with all the Kali kids. We owned that joint that summer!
  • Became BFF's with Bruce and Demi. For reals. Didn't you know?
  • I will go on the record and say this .... 2002 - best summer of my life! Best friends, best game nights, best everything!





2003
  • Brace yourself - I learned to drive one of those big Disney trams!





  • Vacationed in Oregon, where I had a little breakdown in the dressing room of the Bon Marche. My mom had to give me "the talk" .... the talk that my "body is changing" and I am "becoming a woman now". Oh the horror!! It was also on this vacation that my mom and Grandpa tried to woo me into moving back to Oregon. I got so many free gifts out of that trip! ;-)
  • Proudly, I was promoted to the DAK Labor Office where I was an ETR Clerk - essentially I paid people. I loved it so much!
  • Started having major issues with dizziness.
2004
  • The dizziness intensified and my hearing started going out on me, prompting bi-monthly trips to various doctors for all sorts of testing for most of the year.
  • Mommy and Grandpa visited me in Florida so they could see my life and friends over there.
  • Lived through 3 pretty major hurricanes in a 2 month time span. Believe it or not they are actually pretty boring after a while.
  • Sobbed as I gave my 2 weeks notice to Pat and Patti. Also sobbed through my last day at Disney. And sobbed while trying to pack my things into the moving truck. Poor Brian - his shirt was soaking after I was done with my good bye. 
  • Drove back across the U.S. on my move to Oregon. Was Grandpa's roommate while I renovated my house.



2005-2009 Coming soon to a blog near you!


2 comments:

  1. Dying to hear more about the Bon Marche melt down. Why did you move back to Oregon?

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Bon meltdown.... I will totally blog that one for you!
    And actually, I'll do one on why I moved to Oregon, too! I am asked about it quite often, and obviously I was sad to leave Florida. So I shall explain!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading my little blog, your comments rock my compression socks!! ºoº