Monday, December 14, 2009

Confession

I may have a severely unpaid fine. Yes, its true. The girl who uses cash for almost everything and 90% of the time pays her credit cards off in full .... she may potentially have an unsettled debt. To whom? The Douglas County Library.

I was in the 10th grade and rented a book. The name just escaped me, but I believe "King" was somewhere in the title. Heather R** and I actually both checked out the same book for our book reports. I was horrible at reading back then. Wait - I shall explain. I could read just fine. Excellent reading skills .... I just got bored reading books that had no interest to me at all. This was one of them. My book ended up being returned late. Really late. So late, in fact, that I have never used my library card since that day for fear of 10th grade R**** getting caught with an over-due book fine.

Somewhere along the way they put in self check out scanners. I decided to try that out - it said I wasn't allowed and to go to a librarian lady for assistant. Hell no I won't go!  Back to my mom's library card it was! I've checked out quite a few things since 10th grade. Videos and books, mostly for studying purposes - but some videos for my own enjoyment (i.e. fantasizing about going on random vacations to exotic or far off locals).  Always I go to my mom for her card. There is no way I'm going to get caught with this fine! I mean what if there is interest charged??? That book was late being returned during the 1993/1994 school year! Its almost 2010. I can't start pawning off my new TV and all those other "necessities" just to pay my late fee on a stupid book!!

I guess if I ever have a child, I'll have to figure out how to help him/her check out books. We'll cross that bridge when we get to it! But I can tell you this ... Mommy (me) won't be there to help! My kid is on its own!

1 comment:

  1. OMG, this reminds me of Lindsey and I throwing Nick Woods library books out the bus window on the way to school. I was so mean back then. Boo.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading my little blog, your comments rock my compression socks!! ºoº