Monday, January 25, 2010

International Travels

The year was 1985. The setting was Anaheim, California.

My mom, her friend Rexie (Sexy Rexie as I liked to call her!) and I went on a road trip to Disneyland.  One a sunny Summer day, we found ourselves in Adventureland boarding the world famous Jungle Cruise.  Being the adorable little blond girl with dimples that I am, I was seated on the boat's far side next to the skipper.

We hadn't even hit the first bend in the river yet when the following conversation took place. (Mind you I was a super shy Mommy's girl and 25 years later I am still shocked that these even happened.)

Skipper:  Is anyone aboard here from a different country?
Little Girl confidently throws her hand into the air.
Skipper:  Oh? (Probably thinking the girl looks as American as they come!) Where are you from?
Little Girl:  Oregon!
Boat erupts into laughter. (It would be a number of years before the little girl figured out why she was the accidental comedian.)
Skipper:  Well, some might think that IS a different country!  (laughs at his own joke/insult to the best state in the USofA!)

Needless to say, those Jungle Cruise skippers make me nervous to this day!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading my little blog, your comments rock my compression socks!! ºoº