Monday, February 22, 2010

What's Eating ..... Me?

Gilbert: You know what? You're such a big boy.
Arnie: Yeah! 

Gilbert: You're such a big boy.
ArnieI'm a big boy!
Gilbert: You know what? I bet you could do this all by yourself if you really wanted to. Could you do this by yourself?
ArnieI'm a big boy!
GilbertYeah, you're a big boy. Now take this...
ArnieTake this.
GilbertWash everything, your towels are there.
ArnieOkay!
GilbertAnd your robe is there.
ArnieOkay! The big boy is gonna wash himself! 


I work with Arnie. I am Gilbert Grape.  I spend 8 hours a day listening to Arnie talk to himself. Now I don't know about you, but just the 2 hours or so that you see Arnie in this movie, well after that I've had enough - and he isn't even in every single scene. Close, but not quite.  

Now just imagine 8 hours a day with Leonardo's character from What's Eating Gilbert Grape. 8 hours a day. 5 days a week. You'd go crazy, right? 

Welcome to my world.  Of course I couldn't be lucky enough to work with a Johnny Depp type, no. Give me the mental person. Great.

I read on IMDB that Arnie was autistic. So then I decided to go to Wikipedia (because who doesn't love to Wikipedia things??) to just pull some basics on autism, although she could have Asperger's - which is in the whole "Autism family". (Now I realize I have a degree in Psychology and actually did spend time studying autism, so therefore I should be able to spout off facts to you, but I'm venting, and creating a theory, and therefore I don't feel like it!) The following bullet points are from Wikipedia:
  • People with autism have social impairments and often lack the intuition about others that many people take for granted.
  • About a third to a half of individuals with autism do not develop enough natural speech to meet their daily communication needs.
  • Autistic individuals display many forms of repetitive or restricted behavior.


    • Compulsive Behavior is intended and appears to follow rules, such as arranging objects in stacks or lines.
    • Sameness is resistance to change; for example, insisting that the furniture not be moved or refusing to be interrupted.
    • Ritualistic Behavior involves an unvarying pattern of daily activities, such as an unchanging menu or a dressing ritual. This is closely associated with sameness and an independent validation has suggested combining the two factors.
    • Restricted Behavior is limited in focus, interest, or activity, such as preoccupation with a single television program, toy, or game.
That is just the tip of the iceberg on what I have to deal with every single day I go to work. Only maybe 20 feet from me, I hear the same repetitive conversations where you can't possibly believe a grown up is the one having them. At the same time every day certain things HAVE to happen or it is a full blown crisis.  Really, I'll just cut it off there. There is no possible way to full describe the "Arnie" at my work.  I don't know how Gilbert Grape did it. Perhaps I should watch that movie tonight to get some pointers on keeping my sanity!


I'll leave you with this:

Arnie:  Gilbert, how many minutes till they come?
Gilbert: 3 million, buddy.
Arnie:  Three?
Gilbert:  Yeah.


That's my life. One word responses. "Yeah." Its easier to just give up and say "Yeah" than to try to actually communicate. (Did I mention I think "Arnie" is also a hoarder with OCD??) For reals. I can't make this stuff up.


Vacation is how many days away??

1 comment:

  1. Wow, I've worked with some megalomaniacs, some depressed people and a few control freaks but this tops them all. What is about city/county jobs? My mother in law works for her county and I swear to GOD she works with some of the flat-out craziest SOBs I've ever heard of. They sound similar. The more tame ones doe stuff like come to work, remove their shoes and socks and start clipping their toenails in the middle of the office....every week.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading my little blog, your comments rock my compression socks!! ºoº