Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Workplace Bathroom Etiquette

*I feel like maybe I better put a disclaimer at the top of this, just to warn you that I may hit a nerve or two with this post. Perhaps I'll hit too close to home? Perhaps you agree and wish this had been mentioned sooner?*

These are only a few things I'd like to say about proper bathroom etiquette in the work place.

  1. Overall manners. This is NOT your home bathroom. Just remembering that we all have to share this room might be a good idea. Being conscientious of your coworkers, be your friends or enemies, is always a polite thing to do!
  2. Some workplace bathroom doors have locks, as well as a stall (mine does).  The lock is there. Use it. If I don't have to walk into an "unoccupied" room only to be jolted at the sound of you urinating, then I don't want to. 
  3. Coworkers don't want or need an announcement as to the status of the restroom. If it is occupied, let it be occupied. Go back to your desk and wait, or just silently stand and wait. A full announcement that "somebody's in there" is NOT appreciated.
  4. Please be kind and check to make sure you are not leaving your pubic hair on the seat for the next person. Nobody wants to know what kind of nappy mess is going on in their co-workers pants. Leaving your wiry hair behind only causes horrible mental images to come to mind. Who wants that??
  5. Potty Training 101:  flushing. In America, this is a standard step in the whole using the restroom process. Its pretty easy, too. Forgetting is not an option. But number 5 is about something even worse. Its about not fully flushing. Apparently some of you need multiple flushes. If that is the case, please remember to flush until the bowl is adequately free of debris. This leads me into number 6.
  6. Clogging is basically NOT tolerated. If you are going to clog the work toilet, you better be prepared to fix it. If I am in the bathroom after you and the toilet is already visibly clogged? You can guarantee I will hold it because I refuse to sit on a tainted toilet. Again this all relates back to number 1 and manners.
  7. So then in referencing number one ... can we try to keep it to "number one" at work? I understand that "sh*t happens", but it is greatly appreciated if you could try to save that for your personal bathroom in your home .... or in a restaurant, store, car dealership .... anywhere other than the shared work toilet. Do you like walking into a room that feels hot with stank from a co-worker's ass? No. So trying to save it for elsewhere is something that co-workers should unanimously agree is appreciated. I understand that sometimes you have what constitutes an emergency. I can practice forgiveness for the rare emergency, but not a daily habit.
  8. If you just can't wait and "sh*t happens" .... there is not ANY reason at all to not use the provided air freshener. At least do your part to try to help the situation.
  9. Wash your damn hands. No ifs, ands or "butts"... see what I did there?!? A pun!  Anyway, yes, wash your hands. If you are in and out of the bathroom, complete with a flush, within a minute ... you did not wash your hands. 
  10. Don't leave an empty roll. Can you wipe with 1 or 2 squares? I certainly can't. I bet you can't either. So why are you leaving an empty roll behind for the next person? MANNERS!!
I think that's about enough. Ten is a good round number.  If you have other things to share, feel free to do so. I imagine there are many other things that could be added to the list if you work in a place with multiple stalls in the bathroom! This could just be the tip of the iceberg!


1 comment:

  1. For about a year I worked in an office small enough to have one, one-seater bathroom for all the guys and gals to share. To make matters worse, the bathroom wasn't removed by a hallway, but instead was right off the main area. Very nasty, very awkward, very much in need of a sign with the above rules.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading my little blog, your comments rock my compression socks!! ºoº