Monday, April 5, 2010

Progress Report #7

It has been quite a while since I had an actual progress report, and that isn't because of any lack of progress!

To date I have now run in 3 races - 2 of which were just solid running without even a moment to stop and consider walking!  I am registered for my next race on May 1st. April is kind of a break month. Not a break from running, but one from races. I decided to spend this month just focusing on the 14 week 1/2 marathon training program I am on. Granted my marathon is in way more than 14 weeks, but I am getting a head start so I can feel as prepared as possible when next year's Princess weekend is upon me!  

My summer appears to be getting full of races of various lengths and difficulties. I guess I don't really know how to not go full steam into something that I'm really passionate about. I never EVER thought I'd see the day where I actually would call myself a Runner - let alone have magazine subscriptions for it, read books on it, buy gadgets for it (LOVE my SPIbelt!) and just generally enjoy doing it! It is so fun and exciting!  

I'm really looking forward to the 4th of July when I do my first 10K.  I have at least 2 picked out for this year, with 2 more that I am eyeballing and pondering on. Mixed in are various fun 5K races here and there. I might be addicted to registering for races actually. But it is such a rush to cross the finish line - I just can't help but love it!

With regard to training, I have completed week 2 of 14. And actually, my final week 2 run was amazing! I won't bore you with details of running in the wind and how hard it was to breathe and move. I'll just say I had a personal best last night by running 3 miles in 30 minutes. I know many people probably think that is slow, but this, for me, is HUGE!!  I was doing a 9:45 pace all the way until the end when the huge gusts of wind won and slowed me down. Here I thought I was moving at a turtle's pace, but in the end I was kicking my own ass!!  So it is all getting easier in ways, but getting harder in other ways. Each week I'll be adding more time to my long runs, and my shorter mid-week runs will get harder with the incorporation of hills and speed drills. I'm looking forward to it all, so that helps. I'm trying to maintain my positive attitude because I know I will need it. This whole running thing has been more of a mental challenge than anything!

And that's what's going on. Just busy eating, sleeping and breathing running. Right now 3 days a week, but soon it will be 4. I'm already looking toward the future of 2011 and different "big" races I can run in!  Let me tell you, that whole Rock 'n' Roll 1/2 Marathon in Vegas -- that is looking mighty tempting at this point!!


2 comments:

  1. Upon further reading .... I'm pretty sure 2011 WILL be the year I do the Vegas 1/2 marathon! Looks like too much fun!

    Holly - you like Vegas. You got me into the whole running thing. I think you and the hubby need to put it on your calendar, too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a good idea. 2011 will be just long enough for me to get ready ;-)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading my little blog, your comments rock my compression socks!! ºoº