Monday, June 7, 2010

Things Are Looking Brighter

I've been in a funk. At first I didn't know why. I thought maybe it was the weather. Turns out I know people in Florida that don't even know what SAD (Seasonal Affective Disorder) is. Ah, must be nice to have sunshine all the time. So, anyway, I thought maybe that was the case. Then I realized I'm just in running withdrawals. It is killing me to not run, but at the same time I know I have to take a break to let my hip get back to normal.

My mood feels like it got a boost. Maybe it is the sun coming out. But mostly my hip is feeling better. And tonight I will be throwing on a skirt and running. (I love saying that. Sure it is a specially made running skirt, but whatever. Yeah, I run in skirts!) I'm just so excited to get out and feel my legs move. Feel my lungs start to burn. I'm ready, ready, Ready!!

This is also race week. I love race weeks! It is like a long build-up - foreplay, if you will. Nerves, excitement, confidence, concern, carb loading, laying out clothes the night before, buying a bagel and banana for the drive up to the race, drinking tons of water to stay hydrated, training - but not too much! - I just love it. Somehow I can turn one race into a week long event for myself. I really hope I never lose this either. I would hate for a race to just become ho-hum and no big deal. Every race I choose to do has something special about it. Whether it is just a first time for me, a new route, a cool medal - I always have some reason why I pick a particular race.

And this week's event is no exception. This race is totally not just a race - it really is an event. Nay, an Adventure!  At 7am I am rolling out of town and heading up to Keizer to pick up Jessica. From there, Leave It To The Beavers are en route to downtown Portland for the Great Urban Race!  I spent the weekend studying different neighborhoods of Portland and booking marking helpful website in my phone. Over the next few days I will load our team backpack with supplies and get our costumes laid out and ready to be worn. I think this is going to be so much fun - win or lose!

After the race I think we'll head down to the waterfront for the Rose Festival. There is a big parade starting at 10am that morning - just about the time we are rolling into town. That is my one concern --- navigating through town to find the starting point and get a parking spot, while tons of people are flocking to the same area for the annual parade. But we are getting there almost 2 hours before our start time so that we can park, sign in, get our packets, and then start studying maps and working on our official game plan.  

Once we are done with the Rose Festival it is time for dinner. Where? At the Grilled Cheese Grill!! I am so excited! I saw it on the Travel Channel a couple of months ago and have been dying to go check it out myself! I've already studied the menu and have my options narrowed down to two different items. I'm hungry just thinking about it!

I'm just happy to finally be feeling more like myself.  I went to a fun housewarming party this weekend, watched Goonies, sat on the deck with my little cat brother while staring at the river, mowed my lawn and emptied the pool .... I was busy finally doing summer things!  It was great. And I have many fun things to look forward to, so yay - I'm coming out of my non-running funk!


1 comment:

  1. Wow this race (and the whole weekend) sound so fun. I'm also buzzing to run again after giving my foot/leg a chance to heal. I hope they've stopped falling asleep when I start running again. Good luck and I'm glad you're pulling out of your funk. I know what SAD is and I think half the people in Oregon probably get it to some degree.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading my little blog, your comments rock my compression socks!! ºoº