Thursday, July 29, 2010

I Felt Like Snow White... A Sweaty Snow White in Nikes

I'm back in the saddle again! Er, back in the running shoes again!

After a week long unplanned hiatus, I was so happy to be up at dark-thirty putting on a running skirt, eating a pop-tart (strawberry with frosting!), and heading out for a run.  I feel so guilty when I don't run, but I feel so gross and drained when it is 90 degrees outside! The morning and I are just going to have to become besties for a while!

Here are some of today's running stats:
  • Miles: 3
  • Time: 32 minutes ... not bad considering my hiatus, just waking up, and walking the first little bit to loosen up!
  • 10 deer --- one of which was an adorable little fawn with spots all over
  • 1 prancing fox
  • 1 hawk keeping a close eye on me
  • 2 NKOTB songs unexpectedly coming on the iPod
  • 1 car that would not allow me any room, causing me to nearly throw myself into the ditch
I've switched my iPod format, for lack of a better word. I have decided for some of my runs to just ditch the ear buds. If I turn up the volume and stick my iPod in my pocket I can hear it just fine, but still enjoy all the sounds that nature has to offer. I'm liking this switch! I even decided that I will NOT be listening to any music at the Princess Half. I want to just absorb everything around me. I can hear Glee songs, Madonna, Britney and Flo Rida any time, but I can't run through THE Castle whenever I want!

One thought in my head during today's run was something I read in a Runner's World forum. Someone said something to the effect of "why bother going for a run if you're only going for a mile and a half". That bothered me. Not all of us are able to just go and run 5 miles without a problem. I've done 5 before and felt great. I've tried the same exact route before and found that I couldn't do it and quit after 1.67.  It was disappointing to see someone basically telling a fellow runner that they should just give up if all they can do is 1.5.  The way I see it, any effort at all is worth it. At least we are getting out there and moving. We are trying. We are enjoying ourselves. We are working up to longer and faster. But to chastise someone for "only a mile and a half" - that's so negative. Heck when I started running last year I just wanted to be able to run around the block. If someone had told me I'd be training for 13.1 miles I'd have laughed at them! 

So that's my 2 cents! My 3 miles this morning wasn't a marathon, but it was more distance than the rest of the residents in that neighborhood today!


1 comment:

Thanks for reading my little blog, your comments rock my compression socks!! ºoº