Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Get Out Your Sunscreen Kids, We're Going To the Fair!

Finally, for the first time since my birth in 1978, I went to the Oregon State Fair. I always envisioned it being massive as a child. Like Disneyland. The Mother of all fairs. And it was, it really was. (Did you read that last sentence in old lady "Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams" voice?) By the end of the day our bodies were hurting - not just from the walking, but also from the eating. So, without further ado, let's just jump on in!

First up - The Animals:

My mom loves frogs, so this little guy up against the glass immediately caught my attention. It took forever for me to find the head of the anaconda on the picture on the right. It seems obvious now, but at the time I thought its neck/head region were just another piece of wood sticking up. My step-dad knows Anaconda, the movie, in its entirety - so naturally I had to get that picture for him. This must be a mini-Anaconda 'cause I don't see how this could eat Jon Voight.  Let's pause to have a sing-a-long .... my anaconda don't want none unless you got buns, hun. You can do side bends or sit-ups, but please don't lose that butt.....



















Over in the livestock area I found some cute little critters. This first one seems to have stepped out of the pages of a Dr. Seuss book!

This next one, well, I just felt bad for her. How do you walk with all that mass in between your legs? Poor thing.


The Dinosaurs:

For $5 we were able to go in and see animatronic dinosaurs. It was actually kind of cool - and only got our threesome even more excited for our upcoming Orlando trip. It was like Islands of Adventure and Animal Kingdom all rolled up into one - without any ride or water getting us soaked.


Before we went into the dino exhibit I had to use the potty. And yes, I am including a picture from that part of the day. I feel no description is required.:


The Humans:

Normally I get a lot of pictures of "the locals" when I go places. However, on this trip I kind of left the camera in my bag most of the time. I did spot this goofy trio in the photography exhibit hall however.  In a couple of months you'll see these faces plastered on this blog after we return from our big vacation! From left to right we have Jessica, Ryan and Third Wheel, also known as Ronda! (Will I EVER go out not looking like I am ready for a run? I have to STOP with the constant pony tail!!)



And now, what we've all been waiting for ......  THE FOOD:

(Not pictured is the french toast and hashbrowns I had for breakfast, or Jessica's waffle.)

Nom nom nom .... the most gigantic soft-serve I've ever experienced!

Our pre-dessert was good. Time for lunch? Dinner?
 The nachos were mine, but I sampled my first ever fair fries. Only a tad bit though, thank goodness.

Hm... more dessert, maybe? I'm not even going to edit this one bit. The camera phone lens was officially fuzzy and smeared from the cinnamon and sugar all over my hands. That was the biggest elephant ear I've ever had. I shared a lot of it, pretty much just had the edges, and threw over half of it away. But oh how good it was!


Basically, I have major food issues. I don't like food. I'm a vegetarian that doesn't care much for vegetables.  And I haven't had any candy or chocolate in 16+ years. I'm like an overgrown kid that could live off of pizza, pasta, mac & cheese, grilled cheese, and french fries. I don't like to eat in public. BUT ... this is the State Fair. It is 2 and a half hours from my home. Nobody knows me. And I ate!

For the grand finale I'd like to share this photo I took of a food display. They had corn dogs that were almost 2 feet long. I kid you not. It was so gross. And check out the burger and the giant mammoth elephant ear!



And that concludes my trip to the 2010 Oregon State Fair!  (I did go running last night to try to undo the damage!)

And on a side note, on Saturday night I found a huge thing of cheese at the grocery store that was $460.70!
WOW!


7 comments:

  1. All that food looks so yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha, thats a lot of cheese! ;) Looks like a good time at the fair! :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. What exactly is an elephant ear? Is it like fried dough?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh.My. Gaaaaaaaawd. Look at that stuff! I just love it when you can pick out your meal by pointing at it, lol. Awesome pics.

    ReplyDelete
  5. @ajh - you are correct! Pretty much just fried bread with cinnamon and sugar on it. As a child I remember they would have this good honeybutter mixture and then the cinnamon/sugar. OMG - they are the BEST!! I never get them either, so this was quite the treat!

    ReplyDelete
  6. wow, looks like you all had a great time!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I want fair food -it looks yummy!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading my little blog, your comments rock my compression socks!! ºoº