Thursday, September 16, 2010

The Race Day Dilemma

Hello.
My name is Ronda.
And I don't travel light.

In 2006 I went on my yearly WDW vacation alone. My cousin gave me a ride to my airport hotel and couldn't understand how I had a full sized suitcase and smaller carry-on sized suitcase to check, plus another carry-on sized suitcase to carry, plus a small carry-on ... and my purse.  When I explained that one of the small suitcases was just shoes, make-up and accessories I thought she was going to smack me.

Fortunately I have been able to adjust to new airline fees and am able to condense what I bring. I don't bring heels on every trip now, and I don't really go clubbing anymore, so that saves a lot of room. Unfortunately, I still don't travel light. This applies to race day.

Suggestions are VERY welcomed for this new dilemma!

Due to family things coming up, my cheerleaders aren't able to join me for my weekend and race at the coast. In my mind I would have things for after the race nicely stored in a smaller backpack that they could hold  for me -- maybe a small towel, jacket, my phone, car keys, etc....

The starting line is quite a few blocks from the finish area. I do want to stay at the finish area so I can cheer on all of the other runners and watch the awards. (Note I am not silly enough to have hopes of collecting an award! I'm a realist ... sometimes.) The packet pick-up is 1/2 way between the finish and start, at least that's how it looks on Google maps. The forecast calls for rain. A 70% chance of rain. And 6mph winds. I figure this number can change at the drop of a hat considering it is Oregon. 

There is no doubt I will run with my small camera in my hand. I love the distraction of taking pictures when I'm racing- and I want pictures of Pre's house! I will have to carry my car key with me since now I am solo, as usual. I have my SPIbelt, so that's not a problem. I thought I would be putting Power Bar gels in that belt for a little boost half-way through. Ideally I'd like to have my phone at the finish so I could call my family (they'll all be in Corvallis at the Oregon State home opener football game) and tell them all how awesome I am and that I saw Steve Prefontaine's house!

Now I have to figure out my game plan. Do I park near the finish so I can get to my jacket or towel if I end up soaking wet? Do I ignore the Power Bar gels so I have room for other things in my belt? Do I need to worry about getting wet and melting to the ground a la the Wicked Witch of the West? (Actually, the rain does not scare me one bit. I always do great in the rain!)

I don't know. Thoughts? Advice? Suggestions?  I guess right now I'm thinking I should park near the finish and then enjoy the walk to the start. Ugh. Does anyone want to be my personal assistant??

At Pre's Rock - where he sadly died in 1975.

8 comments:

  1. Is there no bag drop option? Here are my race day essentials, I never have anyone to hold my stuff.

    iPod goes in right outside pocket of running skirt.

    Belt - water with Nuun. in the pouch is my iPhone (which is what I use for pics along the way), a GU, an extra piece of gum.

    If I'm driving, the keys go in the other outside pocket of my skirt.

    If there is no bag drop at a race, I only have on me the gear I plan on running in - no matter what the temperature is.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am hoping for a bag drop option. There isn't any mention of it on the race website, but I'm going to ask at packet pick-up. So far over 1100 people are registered - I can't possibly be the only person going without a posse!

    I will ONLY wear my shirt - rain or shine. I made the mistake of keeping my running jacket with me once. I regretted that decision 1/2 a mile into it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Definitely park near the finish if it's raining! There is NOTHING worse than getting totally cold while you're trying to get back to your car while you're tired, soaking and WET! I wish I could be your PA, that would be totally fun!! I once asked a stranger to hold my keys and my camera while I was running and I totally trusted her since she had a CUTE baby and was waiting for her husband to finish...I DID find her at the finish and all was well!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. How much does your assistant position pay? Oregon sounds great to me! :)
    Park near the finish - the walk to the start will be a great warm up. Key can always be tied to laces on you shoe. Camera? haven't figured that one out, I would like to carry one myself. Ignore the gels - wont' they have some water/fuel stops along the way?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yeah, I'd say definitely park near the finish... who knows, you might be able to sweet talk a ride to the start. Oh, and do not forget chapstick (or whatever you use)... Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I would totally be your assitant if I were in that area! Good luck!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Leave the gels behind. You shouldn't need them during the race and there should be some food available at the finish. I sometimes use my cell phone for race photos. If your cell phone has a decent camera then you can leave your regular camera behind too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I would totally be your cheerleader and personal assistant! I have a big mouth and would do a great job! Good luck to you:) Looking forward to hearing all about it!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading my little blog, your comments rock my compression socks!! ºoº