Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Seeking Race Advice From YOU!

Okay - I fully admit it.... I am blinded by the bling! Sure, I love the feeling of crossing the finish line - don't we all? But I really love being handed my bib and race shirt. I want the swag!! If the default shirt is cotton, I have no problem paying the extra $5 to get the tech shirt instead. 

So now I find myself looking at races for May. I know that sounds far off, but the prices for one of them will go up on Friday. I know I'm going to do one of the races for Eugene Marathon weekend, so I figure I may as well decide now and say myself some Hamiltons.  (He is the president on the 10 dollar bill, right?) 

This is where you, my rad readers, come in to play. I need to weigh all my options and see what I can pull off. Here are our races in question:

  1. Eugene 1/2 Marathon. -- May 1, Expo, awesome goody bag last year, tech shirt, finisher's medal, crossing the finish line on Hayward Field (the track where Steve Prefontaine ran his final race, and we know how much I love Pre!)
  2. Eugene Marathon Weekend 5K -- April 30, Expo, awesome goody bag last year, tech shirt, chance to beat last year's PR.
  3. Hippie Chick 1/2 Marathon -- May 8, All women race, finisher's medal, tech shirt, pancake breakfast and mimosas after the race.
  4. Hippie Chick 1/4 Marathon -- May 8, All women race, finisher's medal, tech shirt, pancake breakfast and mimosas after the race.

My thoughts initially were to do the Eugene 5K and Hippie Chick 1/2. BUT then I saw that there were finisher's medal's for the Eugene 1/2. Now I want to do the Eugene 1/2 Marathon, run on Pre's college track since I just finished a race on his high school, and get my medal. THEN, the next weekend I want to do the QUARTER marathon and get my finisher's medal and enjoy pancakes with my mommy (the race is on Mother's Day).

Since you all pretty much have more experience than I do, can I pull this off?  A half marathon followed by a quarter marathon?  Neither race is one I'm thinking "Oh I have to PR". The competition would be stiff, so I know there aren't any awards for me. I just want to do them for the fun of it and to experience new events and routes.

Thoughts? Opinions? Suggestions? Can I pull this off? Ego boosting? ;)

Last year's Eugene 5K bag o' swag!

12 comments:

  1. I say do the half and the quarter. All the swag looks great and if you approach it with the attitude that you just want to have fun and get out there and participate then you'll be fine! You're lucky to have some many races nearby! I say take advantage and get those medals!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree. Do the half and then the quarter. But don't miss the quarter because I think that Hippie Chick is just about the best name for a race I have ever seen!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also agree! :) You would definitely have fun and I say you can definitely do it!! GO YOU!! :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. I say do what you want to do...the half and the the quarter. Sounds like a fun couple weekends!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I say do the half and the quarter. Just make sure to properly train and rest and you'll do awesome!! Plus you get some awesome swag :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. OMGosh, I want to do the Hippie Chick just for the name. That's awesome! Yes, I absolutely think you can do the 1/2 and the 1/4. I basically did it during my marathon training and that was only six months after I started running. Go for it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Go for it! You def should do the half and the quarter. Don't miss the Hippie Chick though, 'cause it sounds way cool.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes. You can do both... The hippie chick sounds rad!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yes, do it! You'll be fine! Just take the week in between easy.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your plan sounds do-able. Go for it. How great you have so many choices.

    ReplyDelete
  11. you can do anything you set your mind to, I say do it! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is a very inspiring story to read, thanks for sharing more good thoughts. Nice blog too.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading my little blog, your comments rock my compression socks!! ºoº