Sunday, October 3, 2010

Game Day with Crows Feet

It has been nearly 3 years to the date that I first wrote about my school memories during a home football game. And yesterday, in sunny Corvallis, Oregon, I did it again, and have mixed in some photos from the day! Enjoy!
* * * * *


Last time I wrote in my journal during an OSU football game I ended up talking to other tailgaters .... and decided to pierce my nose at the following home game (which happened to be my 28th birthday!) --- I'm almost 32. *sigh*

Today I am feeling old. I've walked up to the main campus area twice now, and just felt ancient. Once December hits it will 10 years since I received my diploma from Oregon State University. I felt surrounded by Freshman when I was up in the Memorial Union. It has been 14 years since I was the awkward Freshman with braces trying to figure this whole college thing out. My how things have changed!

Fashion. I am so happy I was a student in the 90's. We wore slide on Adidas sandals and pajama pants to class. We lived in hooded sweatshirts. We ALL had vests ... you know like the Old Navy tech vest of yesteryear?  Seems that in 2010 the fashion is all about ugly boots with booty shorts. Super tight tanks and baby doll t-shirts that do nothing but show cleavage and muffin tops.  (Seriously, do any of these girls that the mirror they sell that seems made especially for dorm rooms?)

My step-dad Jim, my mommy, and Me!
I really miss the 90's. I want our grunge looks to come back. I want to wear a shirt flowered dress with chunky shoes and a big hat. And maybe a flannel shirt over it for good measure, a la Angela Chase/My So-Called Life!

I absolutely love game day though. The fans pile in 3 hours early for tailgating. Our spot is awesome - only steps away from Reser Stadium! As game time gets closer it gets louder and louder.  Seas of orange and black flood toward the gates, ready for what we always hope will be an exciting game.


But this is where MY story changes.

As the stadium fills and the sounds have reached their peak pre-game volume, I walk up to the main campus. Within minutes I find myself in silence. I love it. A always walk slowly, taking in every little nuance that makes OSU my home away from home. The tables I studied at, the steps I recapped a crazy night out on, the table I sat at when a hot football player hit on me and got my number. I walk up to the quiet lounge, down to the ballroom, over to my favorite bathroom on campus.

Once a year I make a walk through the entire campus.  I see placed I puked (so I was a bit of a party girl - no regrets!), places I nearly cried from laughter, places I nearly cried from stress.

The Memorial Union at Oregon State University

I absolutely love it here. It completes me.
And now I must end this so I can set up for our half-time party!

* *  G O  B E A V S ! ! * *

(Incidentally, the Beavers DID win over Arizona State University 31-28)

How I spent time during the game!

3 comments:

  1. I went to university in the 90's as well and I COMPLETELY agree with your assessment of the fashion - I miss those days, lol. What a great trip down memory lane. It's been years since I've been back at my campus. Maybe I'll need to plan a little road trip. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was a student in the 2000s and I wasn't able to wear the fashions due to my obesity. Do they even make Soffe shorts in my size?

    ReplyDelete
  3. haha! I loved the clothes of the 90s!! I also wonder if people own mirrors... :D (PS, I am 32 also, graduated college in 2000!)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading my little blog, your comments rock my compression socks!! ºoº