Monday, October 11, 2010

How Did It Go??

Okay, so last Friday I had a mini-freak out over sushi.  Would I like it? Would I even try it? Was it a date? Was it just two friends that both happen to be runners going out for strange food to talk about running? Of course on the inside I was wondering "what am I supposed to where?"  Skirt? Dress? Pants? Running Skirt? (Okay, I'm totally kidding on the last one. Thank goodness!) No really, if you ever catch wind of me going on a possible date in my running clothes please just throw cold water in my face or something. Don't let me do it!! Can't you just see it?  "Hey there, sexy man! Don't you wanna get a piece of this? What? Oh that? Those are just the built in shorts for running. Yeah, see they even have these handy pockets on the side. Yeah, that's why I don't have a purse with me - check this out, it's called a Spi belt! So hot, right??"  Um - yeah, don't let me do that!! I bet of you!!

I cannot believe I'm actually even posting this. I'm totally not one to discuss my personal life at all, but since I involved you all before the "date", I figure we may as well have a follow-up. After this story we can play the telephone game or something. Or maybe truth or dare? But we will not forget the pillow fight! Slumber Party!!

* * * * *

I opted for a short black skirt. I know, how skanky of me, right? ;)  I love that skirt. It is so comfy! Oh no, confession ... I wore black flip-flops. I suppose I was supposed to wear cute strappy black heels. And I totally would have done that ... a year ago.... before I started running and started obsessing over keeping my lower body in tact. I mean I can't risk twisting an ankle or something. No way!

I drove up to his house about 45 minutes from mine. Got the tour -- which meant I got to pet the neighbor's horses. Yay - they were so cute! Then it was off for a 20 minute drive to a neighboring town for sushi. Being the procrastinator that I am, I flipped out when I saw Dick's Sporting Goods was right by Sushi Domo!! He was very polite and let me drag us in on a quest to find compression socks. No such luck. Darn! 

Finally it was sushi time. Ugh, I can't even explain my nerves to you. He even grabbed my hands and made me stop fidgeting while we were waiting to be seated. I wasn't nervous about the company -it was all about the food. You see, I live off of grilled cheese sandwiches, pasta, potatoes and pizza. Sushi was VERY out of my element!

To start off I got the Sake sampler. Three different types of sake, in a nice presentation actually. Also we had edamame? That was my favorite part. Very yummy! I'm a freak about peas, so that's probably why I was loving this. I mean peas are like candy to me, which by the way is something else I haven't had in almost 17 years!

Of the 3 samples, I liked the middle one the best. It was fruitier. I didn't know kinds I was trying, so I won't really know what to order next time. Oh well.  (I really enjoyed the ice water, too!)  Gosh, I'm such a kid.

Once I was getting settled with what was before me, the actual main order came out. My eyes must have been huge when I realized I was about to actually put that stuff in my mouth! Everything we ordered was vegetarian, so I knew I wouldn't die if I ate it. But I did feel like I was on Survivor when they have those food challenges where you just try to get the food down without gagging. Sadly, I did almost gag. The sizes of the bites were much bigger than I expected, and it kept hitting a spot on my tongue which made it hard to remain lady like!



Taste wise it wasn't horrible. Things that were new to me:  avocado, asparagus, seaweed, cucumber, cashew, ginger. Things that I had tried before: white rice, soy sauce. My problem was the texture. There was crunchy mixed with soft. I wasn't expecting that. In the end, my favorite type was the one with seaweed, asparagus, rice, avocado and cashew. I had 2 of those. In total I had 4 pieces of sushi.. I was too scared to try all that stuff on the right side of the plate. It looked way too exotic for me!

After dinner we went to this cool little bar that had 3 bands playing throughout the night. It was very laid back with all types of people and ages. I liked it a lot. It wasn't a typical college bar, thank goodness. I would have felt ancient in one of those! I really do miss college. It must have been around 11:30 or later when we left and went to our next destination. I took pictures, but it was so dark, they didn't come through very well.

One little section at Pre's Rock
First up, a return trip to Pre's Rock. I had to admit to my driver that I am mildly obsessed. I mean I've been to his home, his grave, his rock, his high school... crossed a finish line on his high school track, and next year will cross the finish line on his college track. I can't help it. He was so cool. He is my athletic idol! So we drove the windy road, in the rain, to get to where he lost his life. We were the only people there, which made sense considering it was around midnight. If you are ever in the area, go visit. It is kind of a humbling experience.  On the way down the hill we were right at Hayward Field. Don't get me started on my physical reaction to the University of Oregon! HATE IT. Anyway, I wanted to see Hayward Field since that's where my 2nd half marathon will start and end, and it is where Pre did his last race. That place was huge! It is going to be so surreal to cross a finish line with these huge grandstands and people watching!

Time to drive back to my car. And to wrap up my story. We did hang out and watch some crazy, extreme biking stuff. And talk running. And decide who had the coolest muscles - I totally lost that one!!  And um.... yeah, so I ended up getting home, You know, um.... eventually! I can't reveal the time, because my mom is dying to know. She doesn't even think I went home after. She is wrong. But it will be fun to leave her hanging and wondering! ;)
Will we meet up again? Most definitely! I had a fantastic time. Conclusion - it was not just a platonic friend meeting. Phew!  And that's the most I've ever shared about my personal life EVER!! Enjoy it while it lasts!


5 comments:

  1. Oooohhhh! Yay! I am so glad your DATE went well! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so happy that it went well! YAY!!! So glad you stepped out of your comfort zone and tried sushi.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm not a big fan of sushi. More importantly, RoadRunner Sports in Tualatin has compression socks. I got my pink pair there this past summer. You just need to head north on your next, um, date! Yes, if he paid for your dinner, it's a date (according to my college roommate).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love sushi... but despite that... Edamame is a great snack... lots of protein... and just about every store carries it (and can I use ... ellipsis points any more... ???) Glad the "date" went well. And you KNOW you want us in on your personal life... we're invested now. As for Compression socks, give me a couple days... will have a discount code posted on my blog for CEPs. ;-)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading my little blog, your comments rock my compression socks!! ºoº