Thursday, October 14, 2010

Whoa! Did You See That Girl Go Flying By?

No? You missed her? Is it because she was going so fast in her mis-matched running skirt and top? I bet it was just a blur of blond hair, right?  

Well that girl you just got buzzed by - that was ME!  I am fast!  ;)

Okay, I was fast on one run. Maybe it is because I just had 5" of hair chopped off so I'm lighter? Yes, that must be it.
Mommy, Arwyn, and Me - it was very Steel Magnolias of us!
So here's the short story:  Tuesday I didn't run because I was just run down and tired. I covered 5 different jobs at work that day, including sitting by the judge in the court room and helping out in Traffic Court. (FYI, I work in Finance. Not court. I'm such a multi-tasker!)  Last night after my pre-Jimmy Buffett/vacation hair appointment I decided to do my Tuesday night run.

As per usual, I thought I was starting off on a nice slow, warm-up pace. Looked down ...my pace about 9:15. I tried to slow it down just a hair, but I thought why try to be too much over 10:00 if my goal is to get faster and this is going to be a short run anyway?  I think the first mile was done in 9:38. Not my fastest, but still fast for me! I didn't slow down. I thought, "Let's just see what we can do in 2 miles!"  So I just went for it. It was hard to get used to breathing a lot harder, but my legs were feeling fantastic. 

It was close to 10pm at this point, so the streets were empty. October 13, 2010 now marks my most nerve-wracking run. We know that I tend to have an active imagination and "fantasize" about serial killers chasing after me when I'm running. Well with about .25 left to run I heard a noise behind me. I whipped my head around as fast as I could and there was a man. Hairy, dark clothing, messy looking. He's riding a bike with no light. And he isn't riding at a normal pace at all. It was far too slow and far too creepy. I mean I pretty much was running faster than he was once he came up behind me. That shot my adrenaline up a TON. I was right in front of a close friend's house, so I knew if I had to get help before this bicyclist left me for dead, at least help was right there. A little neighborhood park borders my friend's house, so without missing a beat I jumped through the plants, ran across the grass, jumped back over the plants to the next street and continued on my way. Woo hoo - I ditched "Buffalo Bill" again!

That little rush helped me get to 2 miles .... in .... wait for it......  nineteen minutes, twenty seconds. Yes, that's right 19:20 for 2 miles! That is HUGE!!!! My best 2 mile pace, EVER!!

That elusive sub 30 minute 5K is getting closer and closer!

I also have to send some Thanks to Lesley -- this was a comment she left on a blog once: You just have to really suck it up and tell yourself the whole time "this is over in 30 minutes, just GO". I am fully confident you can pull it off.  That was running through my mind last night as I was daring to tackle a fast second mile. Apparently it helped, so Thanks a Bunch!!


8 comments:

  1. WOOHOO! Fabulous 2 miles! :) I started telling myself the whole 'this is only 30 mins of torture...just do it' and it honestly works. Sub-30min 5k is totally in your horizon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay for a hair cut...I'm getting mine done Saturday.

    Awesome 2 miles! I guess you should always pretend someone is creeping on you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. 5"???? Can't wait to see the last picture.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the Steel Magnolias reference. Way to go, speedy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You're so welcome! LOL! Although I'm pretty sure you did it on your own. A 5k is such a different beast than a half-marathon. In the half, you have to preserve... In 5k, you just push as hard as you can, period... and it can be miserable, but it's over pretty quickly! Congrats, that's a great time. Now you just have to keep that pace for 1.1 more miles. ;-) And btw, you'll naturally go faster on race day. Adrenaline rocks.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love getting my hair done:) In my case that is every five weeks!

    Awesome job on that two miler! Fast as a flash:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love Lesley's comment!! nice job!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading my little blog, your comments rock my compression socks!! ºoº