Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Frequent Flyer + Prude = Not Good!

I fly all the time it seems. More than some. Less than others. I'd say I fly somewhere at least 3 times a year. Next year alone I have 4 half marathons planned (as of now) and they are all in different states. So there are 3 flights right there. With all this talk of the new TSA rules I can't help but blog about it -- like tons of other people are, no doubt.

First off, here is a story of an experience I had in 2007.

My mom, step-dad and I were flying home from Orlando via Denver. Apparently the weather in Denver was so bad that our flight out of Orlando was delayed multiple hours. By the time we got to Denver the airport was essentially closed. We were all sent to a counter to get tickets worked out for the rest of our journey home, and given coupons for a near-by hotel. Bad news is, as if being stranded wasn't bad enough, our luggage was in limbo. That means we just had our carry-ons and the disgusting little complimentary toiletry kit they gave us. It was snowy outside. We were in skirts and summer tops (shorts for my step-dad). And flip-flops. Lovely.

The next morning there is a huge fiasco with our flights and they had booked me on some flight earlier in the morning - but never told me. Anyway security .... we weave through the longest line ever. My step-dad and I get through with no problem, but my mom is pulled aside and frisked. Great. At the gate my step-dad and I get pulled aside and told to wait for security agents to come. What?? 

This huge woman and a man come along. In front of everyone they go through our carry-on baggage. Yes, my dirty undies were in there. Thank goodness I had my swimming suit, so I could at least kind of feel like I had something fresh on. And then we were frisked in front of everyone. It was so humiliating. I politely asked why we had been singled out. She wouldn't answer me. My  mom commented about how apparently if you politely ask a reasonable question they don't have to answer you.  So the scary woman replied.

"You left the airport. We don't know what you brought back in with you. Why did you change your tickets?"

WHAT???? Um, did you forget that storm?? Tons of canceled flights? Forced to leave? Is all of this just vanished from your memory? And how many of the other thousands of travelers just entered the airport? How am I ANY different?  

The last 3 people to board, we got the stink eye from everyone on the plane. I know bad words came from my mouth when I was walking down to the plane. We seriously felt like the Griswolds. It was humiliating.

Cut to getting home and emptying our bags. What did my mom find in her carry-on? An obscene amount of Disney hotel shampoo that I had thrown in her carry-on without her knowledge. All these security checks and they never noticed all of these "illegal" liquids we carried on?? Nice, TSA. Nice.



And now it seems that people will randomly be chosen to either basically feel like they are standing there naked for _____ (who really knows??) to see. OR, if you are prude like me you can opt for the extreme "pat down". But then if you are prude like me do you really want to feel like you could just cancel your annual pap smear appointment because some TSA agent is going to be feeling you up in great detail anyway?  

I've read where people are thinking we should stop flying as a form of protest to this completely humiliating new form of "security". Well okay -but I am already flying in February. And I don't feel like driving from Oregon to Anaheim or Las Vegas either. I do want to travel by train sometime, but I don't really know the logistics of that. I don't know. It just seems extreme. We saw a woman in her 80's getting frisked once. Really? Because someone's great grandma is a huge security risk? 

I think I'm still formulating opinions on it all. What would I do if I am randomly selected? I hate confrontation so I feel like I'd probably just cry while they look at my naked body. And I call BS on them when they say it doesn't really show much detail. Really?? Because I've seen quite a few of the photos that have been posted, and you pretty much see EVERYTHING. I don't even like to see myself naked, let alone have some stranger sitting in a gross chair at a computer screen see me naked. I mean my own doctor has to fight to get me into a paper robe ... and he's my doctor!

What do you all feel? Any opinions? Thoughts? Supportive of the new policy? Against it? I suppose I have thought about it because at the airport I am unlucky. I am always pulled for random things. THIS is one thing I don't want the displeasure of going through.


(I did not proof-read this because I feel lazy, so I apologize if there are tons of glaring errors!)

8 comments:

  1. I just looked this up online and EWWWWWWW... I would totally lose my cool if this happened to me. That's extremely violating... unless they have TRUE reason to suspect you of something. Blech.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think we should all just show up in our underwear and stand around - if everyone did that at some of the major airports - just stand around essentially nekkid - maybe they would take these intrusive measures off the books.

    It makes me very nervous for the Orlando trip.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah - and they put the nudie scanners in Orlando 2 weeks ago I think? I read that they went in right before I flew there a couple of weeks ago. :(

    ReplyDelete
  4. I usually don't mind the security stuff that much. I travel a ton. I bet I've been on at least 50 flights already this year. I find it much more annoying being behind people who have 75 metal accessories on or leave a bunch of stuff in their pockets or forget to take out fluids, etc. I've also accidently left liquids in a carryon and not had it detected. I figure a few minutes of inconvenience is worth it if it keeps us safe? I've been frisked a few times, had my bag gone through after going through security. Embarrassing? Maybe, but I know I'll never see any of those people again, so I guess it doesn't bother me that much. Hang in there... best you can do is be as prepared as possible and hope nothing catastrophic happens xoxo :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy Wednesday! I never know if people see my reply to their comments and I wanted to make sure you got my answer to your early morning questions!! :) I'll try to keep it short and sweet, but I'm wordy...sorry. :)

    I get up an hour before I start running (ugh!) so I can eat and wake up a little bit. The guys just get up eat and go, but I need a little more time. I typically eat either a bagel or oatmeal plus a piece of fruit (mostly a banana or apple) and a cup of coffee (a MUST for me). That powers me through at least 8 miles. If I have anything more than an 8 mile run plan, I eat yucky Gu on my run. Oh yeah, I also drink a 12 oz. Gatorade while I drive to where we meet. I know everyone's different, but this works great for me! I HAVE to have food. I am so weak if I don't eat which = a bad run.

    I never used to work out in the a.m. but since I have I truly do love it! I'll be honest, it's REALLY tough to get out of bed some days, but I wake up quickly and afterwards I feel awesome and it just sets the tone for my days...and it's done!! I found myself skipping more runs/workouts when I did it in the evening...too many excuses (tired, too much to do, good show on t.v.). :) I have never regretted switching to the mornings...you will learn to love it! :) And I just love the quiet of the mornings, and I actually like that it's dark in the beginning. It's very peaceful and hardly any traffic.

    Okay, I'm done...have I sold you on early morning running yet??? :) Let me know if you try it and how you like it! And if you do, give it a week or 2 to get used to before you think I'm absolutely insane! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's ridonkulous! I'm all about security, but I think that takes it a little too far! I actually feel bad for a lot of the TSA agents...they are just doing their job (which sucks) and they are the ones that get the brunt of the frustration...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ok after thinking about this more I am really grossed out by the "extreme pat down". This sounds like a good job for a pedophile to pick so he can feel up my kid. Totally grossed out. The nudie scanners are gross too but less invasive.

    ReplyDelete
  8. As someone who used to travel about 50% of the time for business (yes - two weeks per month for a couple years) I've learned to take it all in stride. In my opinion, not enough is done to keep those who are really intent on getting the wrong stuff on a plane from bringing stuff on a plane! Bottom line is I don't want to be reading my name in the paper as a hero on a flight.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading my little blog, your comments rock my compression socks!! ºoº