Thursday, December 9, 2010

Attention! I Have an Announcement!

I blame Runner's World magazine. You know you got yours recently and you immediately sat down with it when you had a chance. Am I right? Or am I right?

And there was that whole section about marathons... (Ha, NO - I am not announcing that I'm running my first marathon!). One of those marathons is in Portland, Oregon. I thought to myself, "Hey! I am an Oregonian! I enjoy Portland on foot a heck of a lot more than I do driving. And I wonder. Could they? Hmm. I have to see!"

So I rushed in to my computer room to do a search for the 2011 Portland Marathon. Turns out next year will be the 40 year anniversary AND they DO have a half marathon for the 2nd year in a row. Well hot diggity dog! And the swag? Dude - the swag!  Allow me to share this from the official website:
The Portland Marathon Events are unsurpassed in participant goodies! Receive two performance shirts, an award winning medal, plus the 2011 editions of our pendant necklace and Challenge Coin. Other goodies include great finish line food, the traditional rose, a virtual forest seedling tree, poster and finisher's certificate!! And our course is fast and forgiving, with excellent volunteer support and oodles of entertainment -- over 70 venues...that's more than any other similar event that we know of!! Do not miss out -- 2011's event will indeed be a very special 40th Anniversary Celebration!! Sign up now and save!! Do not miss out on what will be a very special 40th Anniversary Event!! 
So you see, as someone motivated by the bling, this is perfect for me! I don't know if all of the same applies to the 1/2 marathon, but it doesn't matter at this point ....

Because I AM REGISTERED!!!

That makes 3 half marathons in 2011 already registered and paid for. Still the Disneyland 1/2 and Vegas Rock 'n' Roll left to register for. And this race I debated for .... 30 seconds? A minute? Talk about  a spontaneous decision, but I am so totally excited!

I'd like to blame YOU for this. You all motivate me with all of your posts of fun races, difficult races, cold training runs, hot and sweaty runs, missing toenails, new friendships, weight loss, ...I could go on! And some of you - I won't mention names ... Becka, Kim.... you never stop with your 1/2s! I'll send you each a bill for these registration fees that are piling up on me, mmkay?? 

What about you other Pacific Northwest runners? Have you signed up yet??
40th Annual Portland Marathon

9 comments:

  1. yay for you!! :D That swag sounds awesome! :D woohoo!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I might think about this instead of the full marathon but I feel like I need to redeem myself since I paid for the marathon this year and couldn't run it. Good for you for registering now...it fills up fast!! I'm also thinking about the Wine Country Half here in Oregon in September.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Way to go! You are going to do awesome next year.
    My husband and I did the Wine Country Half as a team last year (split the distance). I thought it was a bit expensive for a half. I wish I would've done the Eugene Women's Half on the same day last year. Oh well, there's always 2011.

    And, I don't think you get the same swag (at PDX) as the Marathoners (like, you only get one shirt, I think), but I'm sure it will still be awesome. I know they hand out gummi bears at the water stops, since I handed them out this year!

    I'm glad I can encourage you in this. Becka's race reports encourage me too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome!! I look forward to all the training and race reports!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like an awesome race! Yay for registering! Runners World is my downfall too...I want to buy everything I see, and register for every race!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hahahahaaaa! I am dying over this, because I read that article too and spent a chunk of my morning at the office considering a full kn Utah in 2012 :D. The portland race looks beautiful, nice pick!!!

    And, yay, Disneyland, I've got that on my list for 2011.... I want that Coast to Coast medal!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm completely motivated by swag! Bring it on!!! I know you'll rock all three!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Awesome!! I wanted to register for all of them after reading their reviews of each. How about the one w/ bands like every few miles?? How cool would that be??

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm thinking about doing the full marathon, but I have to survive December first!! It's between the Portland marathon and the new Vancouver marathon in June.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading my little blog, your comments rock my compression socks!! ºoº