Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Run #1 - Can I Call Do-Overs??

Last night I had my first official run as I count down to the half marathon that I've been looking forward to for almost a year. I was so optimistic! I knew it was going to be an awesome run. I was going to impress even myself with the grace, ease and speed of those 3 miles.

It was raining when I got home from work, and I was cold. So I stupidly prepared for the elements. Shoes. Socks. Leg sleeves. Super comfy new pants. Polka dot undies (but did you really need to be told that?). New sports bra that Sushi Guy picked out. (I still giggle over that one.) New long sleeved shirt that I planned to race in next weekend. Loose Adidas jacket that would easily hold my iPod and keep me warmer. Road ID. Garmin. Gloves. Will Run For Margaritas headband to keep my ears warm. Visor to keep the rain off my face. Red flashing light on the visor so maybe someone in a car won't use me as a target - or will this prompt them to actually aim for me??

And so there I was ready to go!

It stopped raining. I just went as I was since I was actually really comfy. And then I started to run.  "I am amazing. I can run better than anyone else right now." (I was the only one running in the dark through our neighborhood, like usual.) "This is going to be awesome. I will finish this run, upload it to Daily Mile, and then tell all of Facebook how I am the next big thing in running!"

My music was new. Updated play list. New songs. Old songs. I was feeling great, mentally.  Then I was rudely awakened by my body. Apparently my stomach just wanted to growl. My legs just wanted to stop.

It was the most agonizing 3 miles I have ever run. I ended up walking way too often. I just couldn't even move. It was a huge mental battle. I would tell myself that I KNOW I can do this without a problem. But then my legs would laugh at me and just say No.

In the end I won, and I completed the three miles. Was it the way I wanted it to go down? No. But I'm just going to brush it off and do better next time. It is very possible that I put too much pressure on myself. It is very possible that I just wasn't physically ready for that run and I pushed myself out the door too fast.

And it is very possible I won't be running in that shirt. Nothing like unzipping your coat and seeing your shirt had ridden up and you feel like an old man with his beer belly hanging out. Damn. I had the matching outfit all ready for race day, too.

So that one is done. Tomorrow will be a fresh start! Tonight I will do some fun Ronda version of cross-training .... after watching Harry Potter and decorating my tree. (My mom and I have been having an HP marathon so that she can watch the 7th one in the theater with me and actually understand it.)

Alright - Happy Running everybody! 

10 comments:

  1. Great job on getting it done. Now you have your "bad" run out of the way and can move on to nothing but good ones! As for the rain, I feel you. I was totally decked out to get poured on today and by the time I got my kids all loaded up in the stroller it had stopped and we saw nothing but dry skies...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hate runs like that!! I suppose we have to have them sometimes to make the other ones seem even better though, huh? :) At least that's what I tell myself...we had a really rough one this morning too. I love your attitude...tomorrow is a fresh start!!

    Congrats on finishing!! We ARE awesome runners! :) Happy Wednesday!

    ReplyDelete
  3. But you DID finish! Congrats on getting it done :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's the weird thing about running sometimes, the day my mind feels good and ready, my body doesn't, but then some days I can't mentally get it together, but then those end up being some of my best runs! Good job pushing through it!

    I got my email yesterday too :)!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey! Great job on the run- regardless of how it didn't live up to your expectations. Sometimes running is just *that* way.

    You'll be SO ready for your half when the time comes, this will all be a blur. Revel in the fact that you can check it off the list!

    I see you are signed up for a jingle bell run...I am a little tempted to also. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I say you've got to start somewhere! No where to go but up, right? Good job in completing the run.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That sounds exactly like my run on Sunday! Except it was my polka-dot undies that fell down and exposed my old-mannish beer belly. Blech!

    ReplyDelete
  8. We all have bad days... don't let it discourage you (but I know you won't!!!).

    And I really think decorating the Christmas tree counts as cross-training... I mean, really... bend reach bend reach bend reach...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sounds like a few of my runs! But like everyone said, after every bad run, there's a good run waiting. Just know and be prepared that this won't be the last 'bad' run. I haven't figured out why they happen and when but they do. :( Great job pushing through it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Glad you started your training! I may try my first run back later today - but I am not looking forward to it!

    Happy running. B

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading my little blog, your comments rock my compression socks!! ºoº