Monday, December 20, 2010

Run #11 - Going Long

Yesterday - after indulging in copious amounts of Captain Morgan's Spiced Rum on Saturday (seriously that stuff is GOOD!!) - I had my first 5 mile run of this big training plan. I was a little nervous, but I knew I had done more than that before, so I could do it again.  Between torrential downpours I was able to get out for the run and stay dry!

The first half I felt amazing. I was certain that drinking rum the day before was the key to my newfound running success!  I had a new route, which was out at my mom's house along the North Umpqua River. I love running out there because while it appears flat, it is actually pretty rolling so it ends up making me work harder than my neighborhood. Plus there are animals! On this run I saw 1 dog on a walk, multiple dogs just hanging out at their homes, 8 deer running around, and then the two unfortunate deer in the ditch on each side of the road. I hate that. It is sad enough to see bones scattered along the path, but when you get to the fresh animal it is even worse. :(

So the first two miles were so fast. I was deliberately trying to go slower than normal, but my body just wants to move faster I guess. The last two were more difficult. I was tired. I was dehydrated. I was ready to get back to the couch and my mommy!

Fifty-two minutes later I had finished my five miles, and concluded week 3. I felt pretty good. I mean I was so sore and used a huge flashlight as a foam roller to see if the rollers really are the rage. The jury is out - the heavy flashlight wasn't very forgiving.



Another question for you all!  Is it normal for someone who is training for their first half to find themselves really nervous and questioning if they can complete the 13.1 or not?? Every other run I feel like I am going to kick ass. Those other runs? Not so much. I CAN do it, right??

10 comments:

  1. I don't know if it's normal or not, but I question it every.single.time I have a tough run.

    But we're training, and we're training smart. It's going to be awesome :D. I cannot wait!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's totally normal!! I went from not running at all to training for a full marathon in fairly short order (and in between, I didn't run all that much). I couldn't imagine doing 8 miles, 10 miles, 12, 14, 16, 18 -- but each time I did it. It really helped me mentally to do out and back runs; I knew I could do half the distance and I had to do the other half (even if I had to walk it) in order to get back to my car! In fact, that was always my mental goal; work hard to do the first half and then if I had to walk the second half I had permission to do so. I did do plenty of walking, but nowhere near the half of each run.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Of course you can complete 13.1! You are training smart and building your mileage, stick to your plan and your confidence will build each week as your long run mileage goes up.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Don't worry you can do it and you will rock it!! :) The bigger mileage can seem daunting but you'll find it to be pretty easy once you look back at it

    ReplyDelete
  5. You totally can do it! sounds like you are willing to put in the work to get there too. with a good training plan and working your way up to 13.1, you'll be just fine...you'll be great! And we'll all be here to celebrate with you and encourage you. :)

    I just got a foam roller. Not so sure I've experienced any benefits but I'm sure it is a good thing, right? Everyone says it is...everyone is doing it so it must be the cool thing. :) :) I was testing out a vitamin bottle before I got mine so I laughed when you said you're using a flash light.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's totally normal to question the distance. I did it a LOT before my first half! I still question it sometimes. But you're definitely doing the correct training and you'll be ready! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Of course you can do a half! I know how you feel though, I had those same thoughts when I was training for my first half a few months ago.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You're totally gonna kick butt... seriously, I know it. And I will make an oath to stay with you EVERY step if you need me to. You completely and totally have it in you. If you feel bad on a run, slow down. It's ok to go slower... you can't run a half marathon at 5k pace. You've got this!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That's it! That's my problem! I felt slow for so long, then suddenly I started speeding up. But now it is like my legs want to always go at 5K pace. I keep trying to slow them down on my Sunday runs, but they don't want to. I guess eventually they will considering I've only ever done 3 10Ks in my life... and those weren't super fast. Okay, so my goal with the first 6 mile run is to slow myself down a bit!

    I'm just happy that Florida is flat! I'd rather have a flat first 1/2 marathon than what I'll be in store for in Eugene in May!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh yes!! Every few runs during my training I would have a tough one and get SO discouraged...every time. This is normal. You will do great. Just stick w/ your training and trust your training plan...you can do it!! I'm excited for you. I have heard this before but I saw someone w/ a shirt that said it at my marathon: "Pain is weakness leaving the body." Love it! Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading my little blog, your comments rock my compression socks!! ºoº