Thursday, December 23, 2010

Run #13 - Theodore R. Cowell

Here is what I learned on run #13 ... Ted Bundy's birth name was actually Theodore Robert Cowell. His mother gave birth to him, but the father was just a passing sailor and not in the picture. He was raised by his grandparents and thought his mother was actually his sister. Once his "sister" moved with him to Tacoma, Washington he started to put pieces together and realized that she was in fact his mother. And he was madly in love with a girl named Stephany .... which I know will come into play later in my runs.

So I finally decided to download an audio book and run to it. Leave it to me to be the sick puppy that will listen to a book about Ted Bundy (The Stranger Beside Me, read by author Anne Rule) while running alone in the dark -- even through the section I've dubbed "Serial Killer Row". What the hell is wrong with me? And why can I listen to this and not feel the least bit uneasy while I'm out there all alone in the dark, foggy night? I was so totally meant to be a real life Clarice Starling!

The run itself was short and uneventful. Two miles in twenty minutes. This run I just tried to keep moving and at the end worked on my final kick that I love to whip out in every race. I felt pretty good after. My left quad was a little weird feeling afterward, but now it is A-OK! *Amanda, I forgot to do my push-ups. I'll try to see how many I can do after my run tomorrow morning!*

* * * * * * *

In other news, I realized I have worn the same 'lucky' undies in every single race I've done. I guess I'll have to break that soon because I'm not going to wear them on Saturday's Royal Family 5K and then Sunday for the Princess 1/2! Perhaps I'll have to get a new superstition for my race days? How 'bout you? Do you have any superstitions regarding racing?

SG and I talked about New Years Eve. He isn't much of a planner and doesn't know what he'll be doing. Arg - males, seriously! So I might just register for the race and then make my plans around it. I mean it is only a 5K, I'll be done by 12:30 and ready to start the night .... which could just involve an hour drive back to my house. I don't know. The race is calling me. And that would be my first run as part of the Run for the Bling of It Challenge. What? You don't know about it?? Look at the logo/link off to the right of this entry! You can't miss it!

Oh and that horrible sweater? I'm totally wearing it today! I consider it a social experiment to see how many women actually think it is cute and don't understand my mocking of it. I'm not mean, I swear. Let's just say it is the former psych student in me!

8 comments:

  1. Do the race! Is there any better way to start off 2011?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Damn that SG, he's a runner after all. He really should be able to commit.
    Isn't the Run for the Bling of It an awesome idea--aren't you already signed up for like half of the 12 races next year already? I love me some medals.

    As for your lucky drawers...hotel shampoo works well for washing when you are doing back to back events (BTW). I washed my Capris that way in Seattle. There was even a dryer in our hotel, so you might have options. Would hate to see your break your streak...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah - I think I counted 9 races already for 2011 that I'm sure of.... Royal Family 5K, Princess 1/2, Eugene 1/2, Hippie Chick 1/4, Great Urban Race, Butte to Butte, Disneyland 1/2, Portland 1/2, Vegas 1/2.... so that is 9 without throwing in the things around the fun holiday runs like Saint Patrick's Day, Halloween, Christmas. I'm going to get to 12 without a problem!

    So this New Years one will put me at 10!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hmm...listening to a book while running - that sounds like a good idea! I may have to consider that! I think a arace at midnight sounds really fun! Wish we had one here.

    ReplyDelete
  5. HA! Listening to a serial killer book while running totally cracks me up.

    ReplyDelete
  6. OK, gonna make this really clear... you are NOT wearing the same underwear on Feb. 27th. Do you hear me? New Distance, new underwear.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my gosh, I get spooked out easily, I couldn't have listened to that while out by myself!! But I do like the idea of listening to a book, it seems like it would make time go by fast!

    I wear the same pair of socks when I race. They are getting old though, so I'm nervous to replace them. Even if I get the same kind, they won't be broke in the same way!

    That race sounds like it would be a lot of fun!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think I have read that book - I enjoy Ann Rule's novels.

    Also - I vote lucky panties for the half since you know you can PR a 5K easy.

    Do the race - then you can drink your celebrations and not feel guilty!

    And I am TOTALLY looking into the run for the bling challenge! Too awesome!

    Merry Christmas and Happy Running!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading my little blog, your comments rock my compression socks!! ºoº