Tuesday, January 25, 2011

~Happy Birthday, Pre~

You didn't think we'd ignore Steve Prefontaine's birthday in this blog, did you?? Heavens no!

He was born on January 25, 1951 in Coos Bay, Oregon. Sadly he left the world on May 30, 1975 in Eugene, Oregon. I'm not going to write about him or why I have a healthy obsession. Instead I thought I'd just keep it more silent and remember him through photos ... that I took while stalking visiting key places from his life (and I'm obviously not done)!

His home in Coos Bay, Oregon
Prefontaine memorial in Coos Bay





















Marshfield High School, Coos Bay, Oregon
Marshfield High School
One of his old training routes in Coos Bay - site of the Prefontaine Memorial 10K

Pre's Rock - Eugene, Oregon



















Sunset Memorial Park, Coos Bay, Oregon



Happy Birthday, Pre!

6 comments:

  1. Great collection of photos!
    If you are ever headed to Coos Bay and want to meet up with me, let me know =D

    One year I am going to do the Pre memorial 10K- some year when I don't care about how fast I finsh, since it's such a challenging course.

    Hope you are having a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh come on -- I almost PR'd at the Pre last year. You could totally be awesome on that course!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that someone gave the little statue of him candy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very cool. My husband grew up in Coos Bay and used to live across the street from Pre's parents. My mother-in-law loves to tell stories about how when he (my husband) was very little he would pee on the Prefontaine's bushes. ha ha

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very nice memorial to him on his birthday - I bet he is your guardian angel looking after you on your runs!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Aww, such a dedicated pre believer/fan!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading my little blog, your comments rock my compression socks!! ºoº