Monday, January 10, 2011

Run #21 - I am a Rockstar!!

In 2010 I ran in 3 10K races - the Ridgeline Ramble, Butte to Butte and the Prefontaine Memorial.  For each of those races a normal person wold have probably run over 6 miles at one time before race day. Not this slacker! I tried to be prepared, but I totally wasn't and I knew it. But I didn't care. I did the best I could in each of those races. And each of those races, prior to yesterday, are the only instances I've done 6 miles at one time.

Well welcome to a new era, everybody! I see visions of R*nda Rae running about as long as Forrest Gump did!

Yesterday I did my first 6 mile training run EVER! I wasn't even nervous like I thought I would be. Instead my mind-set has shifted to being really excited about hitting these new milestones for myself. I woke up, switched into my new skirt, drank some water and nibbled on a Clif bar. Thank you for all of your feedback on fueling for a run. I found all of the responses helpful and am going to try some experimenting based on what everybody has said. If you didn't see that post yet and have something you like to offer in regard to fueling before/during runs, I would be very appreciative to hear what you have to add! Just Click Here! I tend to have a very sensitive stomach, but I also can't run if it is empty. So I sampled a peanut butter Clif bar (about 1/3 of one, if that) and felt ready to run. Happily my stomach never felt irritated or hungry throughout the entire 6 miles! I will be trying that again next week to see how it goes!

I was staying at my mom's house this weekend to work on our 5K headpieces, which meant I got to have a peaceful run in the country with the river nearby. I always enjoy that route. It appears to be flat, but it is a constant up and down, so it really makes my legs work harder than normal.  1.63 miles in I started noticing that the sprinkles of rain weren't sprinkles - it was snow! There I was running in my skirt ... in the snow. LOVED IT!!

I ran almost the entire 6 miles, stopping to walk when I wanted to have some water. I wanted to try drinking and running, but I was scared. I just didn't want to end up snorting water up my nose or dumping it down my body. In the end I went at an average pace of 10:48 .... so 8 seconds over our desired race pace! I'm pretty happy with that - especially since that involved some walking!  

One hour 4 minutes 59 seconds later, I had completed 6.01 miles! Had I been farther from home I would have gone for the extra .2, but I was pretty much right at my mom's house again and ready to go share my new mileage excitement with the fam!

New stats:
  • 21 runs
  • 67.5 miles
  • Beginning week 7 of 13

15 comments:

  1. Right on! I try to get to the distance of the race coming up at least once...although with the Run Like Hell Portland last October, I had only 6 weeks of "gently cramming" for the race after taking two months off to heal my heels. I probably won't be hitting 26 until race day, but I do plan on getting close.

    Now that you have hit 6, you can hold there for a little, then go for 10.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OH, and I love the skirt. I am waiting for the Utilikilts company to re-introduce their Spartan model so I can get another kilt to run in.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wahoo for 6 miles!!

    Also, lookin' pretty cute that skirt there! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice run, congrats! And you look super cute! :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. You go girl! Love your outfit!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice job!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great job! I managed to get water up my nose in a race once... not very pleasant. :) Good call on walking for your water breaks.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your pics always make me smile!

    ReplyDelete
  9. OMG you took off word verification! I officially love you!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congrats! It sounds like an excellent run!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great job, and I love the outfit!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading my little blog, your comments rock my compression socks!! ºoº