Wednesday, February 9, 2011

My Favorite Things: Hollywood Studios Attractions

I'll just say it right now ... this is my least favorite park of the four. I enjoy it enough, but for me it isn't a full day park. I like to start there and then move to Epcot for the last part of the evening. (We'll cover Epcot later this week!) This park does have a good span of attractions to appeal to older folks, children and adventure seekers like myself!  (I'm not covering every single thing in this park.)

SHOWS- I'll be upfront and also say I hate waiting to see shows and therefore rarely go.
  • Beauty and the Beast. I saw this once. In 1997. My mom's shoulder was a comfy pillow for me to sleep on. I honestly can't give a review of it. I recall there was singing and dancing - a pretty elaborate stage show in a covered amphitheater.
  • Fantasmic! This is the nighttime "spectacular" in this park. I prefer Fantasmic in Disneyland, although this does have some cool differences. I haven't watched this show since 2002 maybe. But that is not any reflection on the show. The music is great! There is a storyline. Fireworks. Favorite characters. If you are in the park until closing then you should really go on over and check it out! 
  • Voyage of the Little Mermaid. I've actually seen this one a couple of times and I thought it was pretty cool. Little girls would love it!
  • Indiana Jones Epic Stunt Spectacular. If you like Indiana Jones and/or stunt shows, or if you're a dude, you'll probably like it! This nice thing of this is it is also covered, so you don't get too hot or too cold during the show. There are some pretty impressive stunts in this one, but the very beginning of it all is my favorite!
  • Lights, Motors, Action! Seriously go to this one! The seating is in a huge stadium so anywhere you sit is going to be you a great view. It is like being on a movie set watching them film the crazy car/chase sequences that you see in an action movie. I'm a girl that hates shows, but I really enjoy this one!
  •  I actually took this picture and it is awesome! Lucky me!
Enough of shows. See - I'm already wanting a nap. You can probably tell from how blah all of my descriptions were!

Attractions

  • Walt Disney: One Man's Dream. I put this first because I really enjoy it. As a person with Disney literally in my blood (courtesy of my hidden Mickey tattoo), and a belief in what Walt stood for, I find this to be a great way to literally walk through the history of the company. After the walk through (at your own pace) there is a theater with a short movie about Walt. If you need to take a sit down break for a while, I really recommend this one!
  • The Great Movie Ride. The whole family can do this one together. I never miss it. The final movie scene is my favorite. I am not going to say what it is in case you haven't ridden before. It is kind of like riding through a wax museum of movie scenes. And if you are like me and enjoy a classic movie montage ... you'll enjoy this ride!
  • Studio Backlot Tour. This attraction asks for volunteers while you are still in the queue. I got to be one once!! You'll learn about the making of a movie scene, then board a tram to see some props from actual movies. The ride used to be better when Residential Street still existed. I loved seeing the Golden Girls and Empty Nest houses! At the exit you go through a collection of costumes from movies. Last time I did it the theme was villains. I LOVED Barbosa's outfit from Pirates!
  • Star Tours. It is getting a big refurb, so it won't be open for a while. Boo. I can't wait to see the finished product!
  • Toy Story Mania. You will probably want a FastPass for this attraction. Every time I've been there the FastPass tickets get sold out and the line is over an hour. But the ride is really fun and the queue is totally cute. This is a 3-D ride where you play carnival midway games. I had so much fun, I went out and bought the Wii game for it! This area has a meet and greet section as well, so be prepared ... it does get pretty crowded!
  • 2008... insert your own dirty jokes here.
  • Muppet Vision 3-D. I LOVE Miss Piggy, okay?? I mean I still have her bed sheets on my guest bed at home! The theater alone is worth going to this one to see. If you liked watching the Muppet Show I think you'll enjoy this cute little movie!
  •  Mommy and Ronda 2007
  • Honey I Shrunk the Kids Movie Set Adventure. I include this one in case you are traveling with children and they have too much energy that they need to express. This is fun to wander through if you are an adult. Go find the big dog nose - it's my favorite part of this attraction. There are slides and places for your kids to go crawling through, but a little more difficult for an adult to navigate.
  •  1997 - check me out rocking the denim overalls! Oh yeah, I loved the 90's!!
  • Rockin' Roller Coaster Starring Aerosmith. A roller coaster in the dark ... but with attitude! Music pumped into your ears. And incredible take off at the very start. Upside down twists and turns .... DO IT!!!!
  •  Ryan, Jessica and Ronda 2010
  • The Twilight Zone Tower of Terror.  I saved the best for last. This ride is A-Maz-Ing! Every time you ride it will be different. If you've only experienced the California Adventure counterpart, then you haven't truly experienced the Tower of Terror. This ride has evolved so much and right now it is at its best! Up, Down, You won't even know what you are doing sometimes! The queue is gorgeous. I love that classic old Hollywood feel it has, and it does tie into the story-line and start giving you that sort of uneasy, creepy feeling right off the bat. You must do this one. I insist! And after you have ridden it, do it again!! You could ride the same elevator shaft over and over - and you'll always get a different "show". LOVE IT!!!
  •  Ronda, Jessica and Ryan 2010
So there you go! I'll share just a few other things about the park in general. You can walk to Epcot from there if you take the path to the Boardwalk. There is a traveling musical show with old people pretending to be high school kids dancing around. Your kids will love it. I'll be rolling my eyes and walking away from it because I can't stand it. There are many different dining options. If you want a full-service restaurant try to get reservations. Go in the candy shop on the corner. It smells soooo good! The tip board is located behind a fountain on that same corner. Check it out right away to get a quick status update on the big attractions in the park (Toy Story, Tower of Terror and Rockin' Roller Coaster). This is a park where it could be handy to have a map and times guide. The layout is confusing, and with all of the different shows going on you'll want to know where to be and when. And keep your eyes open for street performers. They pop up all over the place when you least expect it!

Jessica and I in 2009
(the yummy smelling candy shop is that building behind us)
**I would say this is a sitting friendly park. My mom and I will be visiting this one the day before the half ... ugh, taking in shows. ;) So maybe I'll be able to update my opinions on them. There is also the American Idol Experience at The Studios. I didn't mention it because I never had any desire to do it. But since we are going to have it be a peaceful, minimal walking around park day, maybe I will pop in and see. Ooh, maybe I will be the next American Idol??

You will LOVE it, too!!

7 comments:

  1. This park is a total snooze-fest for me. I love One Man's Dream, but other than that, it's just not worth the admission IMO.

    I can't wait to read your take on Epcot :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah - like I said, definitely not a full day for me. I'm just a Tower of Terror girl. And I like to make "woody" jokes.

    I haven't decided which park to do next. I love the last two so much!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love these recaps!! I agree, Hollywood is probably my least favorite park. Although Fantasmic has to be my favorite show ever. I agree, Disneyland is probably the better show, but Hollywood has the better stage! I finally bought the soundtrack to Fantasmic and it gives me chills just listening to it. I'm not a huge Tower of Terror fan, but I have finally ridden it. And Hollywood does have Toy Story & The Great Movie Ride & the Muppets! I think my favorite part of the Muppets is the beginning when you are waiting to go in. You are not Mickey Mouse, you are a rat! Okay, yes I am a little crazy about Disney...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Definitely not one of my favorite parks. Toy Story, Tower of Terror, and Rock N Rollercoaster, and One Mans Dream are the only MUST Do's. I saw American Idol for the first time this January since my friend auditioned and got in...it was cool. Don't need to see it again for awhile though.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'd have to agree... Tower of Terror, Rockin' Roller Coaster, possibly the Studio Backlot Tour, and then off to the next park!

    ReplyDelete
  6. mmmmm...giant cookie jar......

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading my little blog, your comments rock my compression socks!! ºoº