Thursday, February 3, 2011

My Favorite Things: Non-Theme Park Activities

I love the word activities for only one reason. Step Brothers. "It's making my head spin, all the activities we can do!" LOVE IT! It is my favorite part of the entire movie. Oh heck, let's have a little clip of it!


Last time I shared with you all of the tasty things to eat and drink in Walt Disney World, assuming you are of legal drinking age, yet eat like a grade school child. I thought instead of jumping straight into attractions I'd detour to some of the non-park related things to do. After working there for three and a half years, then taking annual (now bi-annual) vacations, I have still not done all that Disney has to offer! I can't point out it all, but here are a few things I'd like to suggest:
  • Stacey! You've gotta love Stacey! Don't know who she is? If you are staying on property you will meet her as soon as you turn on the TV in your room. Sure, you might find her annoying after a day, but then you'll love her and want to be her friend.You'll quote her when you're in the park. If your name is Ronda, you'll have her on your iPod and listen to her as you take your cool down walk back home after a good run! "Look at those chompers!" --trust me, in 3 weeks you'll understand that one! Anyway, enjoy her. She's always in your room waiting to hang out!
  • Those awesome little boats. I have yet to rent one, but I really REALLY want to. If you will be there and are renting a boat, CALL ME!! They hold one or two people, so I can totally just squeeze on in with you.  I'd personally rent one over at the Seven Seas Lagoon so I could motor around with the Castle, Grand Floridian, Polynesian and more in my sights!
  • Did you know you can go para-sailing? Yep! Haven't done that either.
  • And fishing.
  • Or horseback riding. Maybe, if you're running the half marathon, I wouldn't suggest getting too crazy with things like riding a horse or water skiing. Save that for AFTER the race!
  • Mini-Golf. There are multiple courses that are really cute, and of different difficulty levels. You can even possibly win prizes at the end for getting the right amount of strokes on an undisclosed hole! Been there, done that. It was awesome! My favorite is the Winter-Summerland course over by Blizzard Beach.
  • Water parks! Okay, if you want to do this in February, well you go ahead. You won't see me there. Blizzard Beach has Summit Plummet - Stacey will tell you all about it. It is pretty cool! Typhoon Lagoon is more laid back and has a relaxed, tropical feel. Both are fun. I don't really do public swimming suits. You're more likely to find me at Downtown Disney.
  •  Did I mention you can swim with the sharks at Typhoon Lagoon?? (Picture circa 2002 when I was a young thing - and pale - and flat chested)
  • I consider Downtown Disney a definite must-do! Shopping, food, shopping, some dancing at Pleasure Island. It is a great place to go if you have some free time when not in a park. (You can find me there on the evening of February 23rd!) Pleasure Island isn't the big nightlife hot-spot it used to be when I was there during my first internship, but I did find some fun little dance parties going on during last year's Princess weekend! Go to WestSide and check out the lights. I love all the lights at night! Hold your breath by the cigar place. It stinks. Keep your eyes open, too! I saw Gloria Estefan leaving her restaurant once. I also got free tickets to a private screening of a John Cusak movie, complete with free popcorn, candy, drinks .... AND John Cusak himself. You really never do know what may happen in Disney World! Right place, right time!
  •  Once upon a time I was 18 years old at Pleasure Island every single Thursday! (I'm the girl in the braces on the far right. Gosh, my arms are tan!)
  • For fun, music filled, crazy night time fun not in a theme park, I really do suggest hitting the Boardwalk. The Atlantic Dance Hall is there for your dancing enjoyment. But even better is Jellyrolls. A dueling pianos bar, they play your requested songs, make you do silly group dances, serve yummy drinks and will no doubt send you home with a smile on your face. My posse and I would go there religiously back in 2002. And boy did we party! Let's just say there were times we were operating a ride on Wednesday morning while still feeling the effects. Just go there ready for fun and prepared to sing at the top of your lungs with hundreds of your new best friends! OMG .... we should have a post-race bloggie meet up THERE!
  •  It is possible you'll end up on stage at Jellyrolls! (picture from 2003 ~ birthday)
  • Some of you will probably meet my mom since she is going to be there, cheering me on and walking the 5K with me. She wanted to add that she really enjoys time at the hotel pool! This might not be as appealing if you are at a louder resort like Pop Century, or maybe the All-Star Resorts. I couldn't get her away from the Port Orleans pool. She still sings the music they would play. And apparently the same people would hang out there every night and actually got to know each other well. PLUS - the pools have a bar right by them. No, I don't have a one track mind at all. Nope!
  • Resort hopping. Let's say you arrive in the evening or afternoon and don't want to spend money on a park ticket for only a few hours. Well, you can still get a "ride" and see some pretty cool places! The monorail runs between Epcot and the Ticket & Transportation Center. It also goes through the Contemporary, Polynesian and Grand Floridian. If you want to do something, go check out the hotels or swoop through to see what's going on at Epcot! The bar at the Polynesian has some REALLY good drinks! And I would really like to recommend the Wave at the Contemporary. It is all blue down there. You almost feel underwater. And they have private feeling couched areas that have a really cool vibe to them. Oh let's throw in some resort hopping pictures right now!

    • ~RR on the way to stop #1 (2008)
    •  Inside the Wave at the Contemporary. Seriously - go there! (2008)
  • I should wrap this up. I'm going long. Downtown Disney really is a great place to go. I will be there multiple times on one trip. (I know I've already mentioned it, but now I'm going to list some things there that maybe a first timer hasn't hear of yet?)  

    • The movie theater - I understand it just got a concession stand make over. The screens are huge! And the seats are big and spacious. Who would go see a movie while they are there? My thought exactly ... until last year I didn't have a ticket for the day and I went to see Alice in Wonderland instead!
    • Characters in Flight. You can go (weather permitting) up in a helium balloon and virtually see all of Walt Disney World and Orlando. It is about $16, and worth it!
    •  (2009 Characters in Flight)
    • World of Disney. If you want it, they sell it. Period.
    • Days of Christmas. Who doesn't love a little dose of Christmas now and then? This store even smells like Christmas. Tons of ornaments and decorations to choose from. I just love it in there!
Okay - I'm stopping. I've carried on far too long. I suppose next time we'll hit up the parks. Attractions? Shows? Who knows - I'll decide when I write it! And I will even try to give suggestions for the kiddos, too!

For a final shot ... here's my FAVORITE Disney meal!

9 comments:

  1. $16 for a hot air balloon ride? Are you shitting me??

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've actually met Stacey. How cool is that? She was on a DVC Member cruise with us a couple years ago. She is tiny! Like itty-bitty. And the Sea Raycers are totally fun. And I LOVE Jellyrolls. So much so that I can tell you the piano player's name in your picture is Scotty. He is one of the best. He usually plays with Ray. You can call Jellyrolls to see who is playing during your trip. We always make sure to go when Scotty and Ray are playing. Have I mentioned yet how jealous I am that everyone in the world is going to Disney World this month but me?

    ReplyDelete
  3. You've never ridden the water mice?!?! Definitely do it in Seven Seas Lagoon, because the ones you can get on the Sassagoula River are much slower. Not to mention, like you said, the views are a little better!

    It's also worth the trip to get off the monorail at Contemporary and take a boat over to Wilderness Lodge. It's my favorite Disney resort!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like your 90's era pictures ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have NEVER done the hot air balloon ride - I totally want to!!

    I also love Stacey - it drives my family crazy, but I can watch her loop all day long :D.

    I love riding the monorail in circles. Just around the resorts. And all the different "themed" gift shops at the different resorts, so fun!!

    Boardwalk, duh.

    And Downtown Disney is like a theme park in itself!

    SO excited.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Some time I'll have to share with you Boardwalk/Jellyrolls fans the story of "the night I got lost".

    It is a doozie!! Okay - I'll share that one this weekend. It is a night that, oh, almost a decade later, I haven't stopped getting teased about. A tale of epic drunkeness!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love all your insider tips. I live so close to DIsney, but do not know it very well. I wanted one of my children to work there, but no one has. Perhaps I will need to get a part time gig there so I can get the perks and try out all your good ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I heart Stacey!! I love watching her show. I wish I had her job. I really want to do the Characters in Flight one of these days...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ok, Stacey drives me absolutely batty. Every time I turn the TV on...her and her 'must dos'! Definitely love resort hopping and the Lapu Lapu's at the Tambu Lounge at the Poly are pretty stupendous! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading my little blog, your comments rock my compression socks!! ºoº