Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Half-Marathon Training Resumes

I enjoyed resting (if walking around Disney World is resting) the week of the half marathon and didn't run until the following Sunday. That was fun and it felt great to get out again. Then I was just able to get in a couple runs before the Shamrock 15K. Now that that race is over, I am back on the training path.... except that once I start training I am tapering and racing! The next race is April 10th, so I have a chance for 3 more long runs before then. I'm hoping that the weather could stop being such a big baby and cooperate. I think our town is nearly under water at this point, and trees are crashing into homes and cars left and right. Sounds so appealing to run in, right? I was really excited about the daylight savings time change just because I can finally run in the light again .... yet I still haven't had a chance. I am hoping tonight I can at least get out for a 5K, even if that means I look like a drowned rat afterward.

Crazy as it is, I think that Shamrock 15K helped boost my confidence about the half. I did 9.44 miles according to my Garmin, and really my legs still had life left in them - even after the hills. Perhaps my concern (?) with the Corvallis Half Marathon is just that I won't have Lesley with me to entertain me, laugh with me, take silly photos with me, or keep me moving when I'm feeling like crawling into a bush and hiding from the world. In my favor, however, is the fact that I love Corvallis and I always feel so happy and calm when I go back there. I spent 4 years of my life getting my degree from Oregon State University, so any time I go back to campus I just get overwhelmed with memories .... so I think that could really be a help to this race. Plus it is Oregon - so I really doubt I'm going to be melting or having issues with the heat this time!

And shoes. I'm going to be due for some new shoes some time. I wonder how long it will take before they are completely stained with blood and match my current set?

With regard to other upcoming races, I am waiting for finish another half marathon or two, then I'll be registered for the Walt Disney World Half Marathon. Obviously Lesley and I had a blast with the photos - but our finish time isn't one I want to submit for a corral placement in the next race. At least now I have some motivation to keep my legs moving in April's race! I just liked corral B so much that I don't want to be slapped in the face and put in corral X in January!

I haven't looked any farther really. A couple weeks after Corvallis is the Eugene Half, with the Hippie Chick the following weekend - so really, there is no time to rest here! Disneyland Half plans have changed a bit - officially! I am no longer going alone .... Biker Boy booked his flight to go down with me. I'm sure he'll be a fabulous cheerleader for Rose & I this September!

4 comments:

  1. I am sooooooo excited about September.

    ReplyDelete
  2. it wasn't until I ran a smaller 1/2 marathon race to find my groove of pacing. smaller races are great bc you literally can see where you are at in relation to someone you've been running behind for awhile (obviously a watch does this too, but sometimes the constant visual reminders help as well) hope u find a few to put you in better placement for disney!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like you have a busy race season ahead of you!!

    I'm still trying to figure mine out.

    So re Disney Princess Swag..were the backpacks the same? or were this years jankier?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love getting new shoes! Wow - you are going to be one busy runner!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading my little blog, your comments rock my compression socks!! ºoº