Friday, March 18, 2011

National Awkward Moments Day - MY Story

Biker Boy has informed me that it is National Awkward Moments Day today. I shared with him a story of one of my most memorable awkward moments that I still wish I could undo. Since I had no run to write about, I thought instead I'd share my story with all of you!

* * * * * *

Freshman Ronda
I remember this and think of My So-Called Life because I can totally see Angela Chase doing this same thing - except with Jordan Catalano. It is a moment that I still replay and wonder WHY?? I guess it is sort of my own "I carried a watermelon" moment. (For you boys out there - that would be in Dirty Dancing where she makes an ass out of herself in front of the handsome Patrick Swayze). 

It was 1996. Finley Hall, Oregon State University. I lived on the 2nd floor - boys on one side, girls on the other. The majority of the boys were football players. We lived in the wellness hall so no alcohol, no smoking and a lot of athletes. I was good friends with some of the football players, one in particular. Jeremy Brown - aka Mr. Body. Mr. Body was his name before I met him and literally fell over my roommate into our room after drooling over seeing him in his towel in the hallway. 5'8" of pure muscle and gorgeous, black skin. *sigh* *so hot!* Jeremy Brown and I had a strange relationship. Always flirty, but never crossing any lines. He would leave his room unlocked (he had a single) every morning so I could walk down the hall and wake him up since he always slept through his alarm. (Note, having your music come on softly is probably not the most effective way to wake up in the morning.) 

Well on this day in 1996 this little blond freshman girl almost had her chance to move beyond the platonic stage with this hot football player. The guys had just won a game! Crazy as it is!! They beat Stanford. Our only win that season I think. So they were all happy and we were all ready to celebrate. After the game Jeremy Brown and I ended up alone in the floor lounge - which nobody ever used as far as I know. The lights were off, but there was still some light coming from outside - it was dusk. He was laying on his stomach on the floor. I was sitting by him, with my legs stretched out. He had his head on my thigh - so right there I am freaking out inside okay? I mean I had never done anything at all. I hadn't even kissed a guy since being at OSU at this point. I had hardly kissed anyone ever at this point. Next thing I know, he puts his hand up on my thigh. What happens next?? Ugh. Without even thinking of what I was doing, I grabbed it and almost threw it off.

I died a little inside.

I was mortified. So embarrassed. I mean I am dying right now just writing it. He just got this look on his face like "what's wrong with you?" I didn't even know how to answer. I just wanted to undo it. Not that I wanted anything to progress further, but why did I have to look like such a prude moron? It was just a freaking hand on my thigh. Not a big deal!

And that was the end of Jeremy Brown. We were still friends - I still woke him up in the mornings. He still hung out in my room eating grilled cheese and cuddling on my bed or bean bag with me. But nothing ever happened like that again.The next term he moved off campus and came back to visit once. But then I never saw him again (pretty sure he left OSU since the football coach that had given him a scholarship retired). I often wonder where he is now. He was pretty cool and always nice to me - even though I was a total moron!

14 comments:

  1. Ahh, sounds like an awkward moment. I have plenty of those...oh....too many! Where later I just want to scream at myself to being such a weirdo!! ha! I'm sure he didn't dare try anything again. :) T hanks for the memory sharing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haaahaaaaa!!!

    The half naked boy in a towel in the dorms is the one I married :D.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ahhhh! That's horrible and sounds exactly like something I would have done. I hate moments like that. They live on FOREVER in you mind. Maybe now that you have outed that memory, it will be less painful. Hope so anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think we all have moments like that. I know for me personally, I tend to have a mini freak out when someone I have a crush on touches me in a random place. It definitely stays with you. But know that you are not alone!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yeah, this totally sounds like something I would do.

    ReplyDelete
  6. hahahah that SUUUUCKS. found you somewhere in blogworld. Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I heart this story.

    SOOOO many stories just like this from college. (Also, I went to WSU and lived in Regents -- where all the female athletes lived and the male athletes came to eat and hang out.)

    I bet you could FB him. Just saying.

    ReplyDelete
  8. awwww, your poor thing...how awkward :) ive had my fair share too. diggin that outfit!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I really try not to think back to my college days...... =D

    Good story- helps me know you better. I think we take these things, learn and move on.

    Also- thanks for the comment today. Please get all the butterflies for me!! I was actually more nervous for my 5k than any other race! I had a serious time I was gunning for. Ha- we'll see this time.

    ReplyDelete
  10. FruitFly!!! You've just been too nice to me. Thank you for everything.
    We've gotta meet up at a race sometime.
    Cheers!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. College is made for those little/big moments....I must have 1000's of those in my brain. Love the story:) I agree you could look for him on fb.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your old photos always make me laugh. I love them :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. hee hee! Now I need to go add My So Called Life to my netflix queue!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Aw man - I flippin missed the National Awkward Moments Day - oh well - I'll have to remember it for next year!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading my little blog, your comments rock my compression socks!! ºoº