Thursday, March 17, 2011

Run #2.1 - A New Personal Best!

And here we are, back to training for a half marathon. Wasn't I just doing that? I guess with two more to race before Mother's Day I am pretty much going to be doing this non-stop for a while!

Dear Adidas, You may sponsor me.
It felt so good to just go run last night without a set plan. I wasn't deliberately aiming for hills, I wasn't trying to hit a new mile distance or time goal. I just wanted to get out, run 3 miles and get back into the training groove. My legs must have been ready, too, because they were on fire! We (my legs and I) set out in the daylight(!!) for a change, taking advantage of the few moments when it wasn't a torrential downpour outside. I was shocked when I looked at my Garmin and I was comfortably cruising along at a 9:44 pace. Granted this is very slow for some of you, but for me this is faster than normal, and I was excited. Instead of slowing down I just kept at it for as long as my legs wanted to. I never worried about pace at all. On this run I just wanted to enjoy running - which I really did.

The thing that shocked me was that I never really slowed down. The only "pause" in my pace was when I had to wait for traffic to clear so I could cross one of our four major roads in town. Throughout the three miles I would look down and see that I was still sub-10. What?? Crazy! Even on the minor hills I ran up I was still keeping my pace. This is just insanity to me. Am I getting faster? Could it finally slowly be happening? In the end I came in at 3 miles in 29 minutes and 48 seconds I believe. Bam! My first sub-30 three mile run!!

I am so close to my goal - a sub-30 5K. It feels like it is just around the corner, and this helped boost my confidence level! I think this run was a great way to resume my training schedule for this next half marathon. It is nice to just feel like all the parts are working together in the way that they should be, 100% pain free!

8 comments:

  1. Shit, you're basically there. Same distance in "race mode" and you cut off a few minutes for sure. To quote Emz, you GOT this.

    Do you have a 5k signed up for that you're planning on rocking?

    ReplyDelete
  2. The next 5K I am officially registered for is the Disneyland one - which obviously I don't plan on killing myself for since it is just for me to have fun and goof off before the half.

    I don't have any race for June or August though. And I need my 1 race per month - so maybe I will fit one in then!

    My 5K PR is 30:35. So close - but just a little too long. I have to beat it!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are on it! I LOVE that Shamrock shirt..awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hooray for confidence boosting runs! The Shamrock shirt is absolutely adorable, love it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congrats! It's so nice to get a confidence boost now and then when running. You will get a sub 30 5k! And you aren't slow by any means!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are so close!! Way to go! I'm in awe of your running skills!

    ReplyDelete
  7. awesome run to get yourself back into the swing of things!

    and that shirt is way cute!

    ReplyDelete
  8. YAY! Congrats on your run!

    So jealous of the shirt too!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading my little blog, your comments rock my compression socks!! ºoº