Monday, March 28, 2011

Run #2.4 - Weather Fail

Ugh. That's what I have to say about this run. I felt like a failure. The weather and I just didn't get along.

I fixed Biker boy and I a yummy, protein filled breakfast before our run. Mentally I was ready for the 11 miles, physically, too, I guess. But naturally, since it is Oregon, Mother Nature had to mess with me. We set out together, with my goal to stay around an 11 minute mile pace, and everything felt good. In fact I started to feel a little hot in my long-sleeved shirt. About 1.3 miles in I made us pause in the park for a potty stop. This was my first time ever having to stop mid-run to use the little girls' room! I went in when it was sunny. I came out a couple minutes later to a total downpour. Lovely.

We didn't let it stop us, and we set out for the first loop through the park. With each mile we seemed to be doing a good job of holding steady around 11 (although I know Biker Boy would have preferred to go faster -- but this is MY training, not his, so we do it MY way!). The wind kicked up. The rain didn't back off. At times it was coming sideways and just pummeling the side of my face. At mile 5 a huge flow of water coming down the road toward me (I was on the sidewalk) just triggered my Meniere's for some reason and I was down. Not literally - but that's 'cause I went for a pole. It was crazy. I've never really had visual things mess me up so much. There was a gazebo nearby so we went and sat there for a few minutes while I tried to collect myself and be able to see straight. (If I wasn't so dizzy I totally could have used this gazebo in the rain to relieve the Sound of Music 16 Going on 17 scene!) It was also at this time that my left foot decided it was done. But no. I had six more miles to go, dang it!

Off we went, into the Winter Spring storm. At mile 6 I had enough. My foot hurt in an unfamiliar way. My right hip was dead. I had told myself that if my body was hurting or feeling like I could be on the verge of injury that I wouldn't push it too much. The half is less than 2 weeks now. I feel prepared and I don't want to risk doing something just to get in the 11 miles. We ran the final mile back toward my house and I forced us both to work on a nice finishing kick to bring us to a total of 7. Wouldn't you know the rain would stop and sun would come out right when we finished? I guess I could have done the last four, but I was frozen. My hair was a disaster since I forgot to braid it. My stomach hurt from the cold. I lost feeling almost everywhere. It was rather ridiculous how cold I was for late March.

So there's one more "longish" run in the books. I'm disappointed in myself last week. I just overall sucked at training. I've got to get my head back in the game, stay hydrated, eat some bananas and get more sleep. I vow to make an improvement from here on out. In the end this run was 7 miles in 1 hour and 17 minutes - so right on pace. And of course BB was fine. Not winded. Not tired. Whatever. Inside I know he was probably crying and hurting and just wishing he could stop running and go lay in bed in pain. RIGHT??? I'm the runner, dammit. I AM THE RUNNER!!

14 comments:

  1. I actually cried in pain the entire drive home and I had to crawl around my house when I got home...I couldn't even get into bed I was so sore...

    Actually...I am trying to figure out why my core is sore...legs still (for now) feel okay.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A run is a run is a run.

    You listened to your body, so that is a success.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gr. I feel your pain. The H randomly decides sometimes that he wants to run too, and breezes through like it's nothing. Aggrivating.

    At least you did it... call it a win!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm still amazed that you can run with Meniere's...when mine is acting up, I can barely walk at times. This run was still a success!

    ReplyDelete
  5. not sure what to say...

    i'm just now getting my running groove back..

    hang in there, you'll get it back!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cut yourself some slack. No one wants to run in the rainy cold crap. You did more than most would have and that is awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hang in there! You are beyond prepared. I wished I can be half as prepared as you.
    Oh, did I already tell you how awesome you are?

    ReplyDelete
  8. I hate when the weather messes up a run! I think you are definitely prepared for your next half.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You are going to kill this next race!

    You have been prepping like crazy and you have a vast support system both there at home and across the country.

    Sorry the rain set off your Meniere's - I can't even imagine doing what you do.

    You are a hoss!

    ReplyDelete
  10. The weather can really put a damper on training, but 7 miles is a great run no matter if you had to cut things short. Like Rose said - A run is a run is a run.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow! Power to you Lady! Don't get down, sometimes things just happen in life where our runs aren't what we expected or hoped them to be. The important part is you did your absolute best and listened to your body. And I know you had fun- I mean, even though you may not ave performed the Sound of Music dance, I'm sure that in your mind, you were waltzing away!

    ReplyDelete
  12. good runs and bad runs they are lessons we teach our selves on being stronger. I think you did great!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I think you did everything right. You got out there, you sucked it up through the crappy conditions, you listened to your body, and still found the strength to finish strong! You ran seven miles faster than I could ever imagine. You are one strong, determined, and inspirational badass runner!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ugh, the weather sounds horrible!! You stuck with it, you listened to your body and you did 7 miles! You rock!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading my little blog, your comments rock my compression socks!! ºoº