Monday, April 4, 2011

Advice Needed on Many Things!

I am such a Chatty Cathy today!

First question .... I want to get new running shoes. It is more than time for them, and I think it will help pull me out of my funk. I kind of want to get the same shoes I have now since I love them so much. But I also thought of getting a new kind.

Do you wear multiple shoes of different types? Is that a stupid idea? Do you have any type that you just LOVE and think I would love, too? 

I'll be in Portland this weekend, so I'll have access to legit stores where I can get from someone that might more know about shoes than just the pimple high school boys working at any stores here in town. (Was that mean? Whatever, it's true. I do NOT live in a shopping mecca!)

* * * * * * 

Rose has posted her awesome pictures from her Warrior Dash, so now I want to get muddy, too! Let's look at logistics. Shall we?

Would I die? There is a Muddy Buddy in Portland on September 18th. My race calendar is free that day. However, on the 17th I feel more than compelled to run the Prefontaine Memorial 10K in Coos Bay. I mean, hello? I am stalking Pre even though he's not alive anymore, so obviously I have to run his Memorial Race again. Would I survive if I tried to back to back it?

I was reading the details and it says only one bike per team. I don't have a bike ... but um, hello? Can anyone say Biker Boy? Don't you think he should do this with me if you all give permission and say I can pull it off? Rose, who is my authority on this subject matter (because she is an awesome bad ass!) says to not do these things for a finish time, but just to get dirty and have fun. So I can ignore time just once and enjoy getting messy, right??

Thoughts??  (Let's pretend Biker Boy even knows of this latest whim of mine....)

And then Julie & Cilley Girl should do it, too! It'll be like a Shamrock reunion!

21 comments:

  1. You can totally back to back it! Time is stupid. Do it for the pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As for shoes, I don't run in different ones. Just the same style and brand as always. I've heard it's good to mix it up though but I'm always nervous it's going to mess up something. Who knows!

    And as for the Warrior Dash? DO IT!! I had SUCH A good time when we did it last August ( recap is here ) that we decided to do it again this year too. It's a crazy and dirty adventure but so much fun. And how can you pass up a free viking helmet?!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sadly this isn't the Warrior Dash - they have one, but I think it is the week before the Pre and the week after Disneyland.

    I thought that maybe I'd need a little more time to recover from the Half and playing in Disneyland. BUT, same concept!

    And I'm like Rose .... I need the pictures!

    I think we all need to peer pressure Biker Boy on this one!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hmmm....We will need to talk about this...would you rather do this or have me to a half?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have two different pairs of shoes. Alternating is good... a change in pressure points, etc so that you aren't hitting the same spots everyday. Plus it gives your shoes plenty of time to decompress before you use them again. It's a good thing if you can do it. At first I couldn't tell which I liked better... eventually I figured out that I like them for different reasons and different things. Now I kind of know which pair to wear on which training day.

    As for the muddy run - no you won't die... it's not about time... and in my opinion, it's only fun if you have a nice group of people. Just know that mud gets slick... so if you have some major race right after it, you'll probably want to go uber-slow and cautiously... just enjoy it and laugh and take fun photos!

    ReplyDelete
  6. And to Biker Boy... really? You're going to make her choose? No bueno... certainly BOTH are in order!!! ;-) You have met RR, right? You think she'll be able to choose? She wants to do it ALL.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lesley - I am not sure why...but I have an issue with paying to do things... I don't even pay to do bike events...I did suggest to Fly that we put up a request for donations for me for the Lacamas half...I figure that it would be worth $1 for people to hear how much I suffer...I mean I'd pay a $1 to read that story....

    ReplyDelete
  8. 1. Shoes, I was a Brooks loyalist for years, but they pissed me off. I'm running in Saucony's now, and they're rad. I was thisclose to some Asics. I also have some Adidas that I won (!!), that I'm going to try rotating in this week. So... go to a store, try on a billion pairs, make a giant mess, and pick the ones that feel like THE ONE.

    2. A mud run sounds like FUN the day after a race! Get the legs moving, and just play! Do it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. We did one of the muddy bike/runs in January. It was awesome! Here's my blog entry all about it...http://clareisrunning.blogspot.com/2011/01/florida-dirty-duo.html. You should definitely do one!
    Clare
    www.clareisrunning.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. My motto: The more shoes the better...

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love my Mizunos...they are so light. I like my Brooks, but love my Mizunos!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I rotate between two pairs of different brands and styles--Asics and Saucony. I like the Asics, but LOVE my Sauconys!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I was an Asics girl for the longest time but then I tried Saucony and now I rotate between them.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I rotate a pair of Nikes and a pair of Sauconys, I love rotating them. I would have more shoes if given the chance, love having lots of running shoes to pick from.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I started with Saucony, then Nike, and now Brooks. I think I finally found what works, so I'm sticking to it.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I wear Saucony Originals. Have been eyeing a pair of Saucony ProGrid Kinvaras though (in bright pink). I love their shoes!

    And if you want to try the Muddy Buddy, I say why not?! Have a blast!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Shoes are so personal. I've found only a few that work for me and right now I'm alternating between Saucony and Brooks. Before Nike changed their Lunar Glide series and moved away from Bowerman, I liked them. I've never rotated until about a month ago and always did fine on one pair, so I don't think you can really go wrong.

    ABSOLUTELY do both. Muddy Buddys are all about having fun!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love my brooks! I have several shoes I alternated between though! Focus on what you know and have learned about yourself as a runner...your strengths...the positives and try to get read of that worry and fear. Do what you can do and see it as a fun challenge...like a video game...ha...just settle in and talk positive to yourself! You can do this!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Dirty=Fun

    ReplyDelete
  20. I alternate between Asiscs 2150's and Mizuno Wave Aspires. They are different and I like that although I am starting to lean more towards the Mizunos.

    I would recommend getting 2 different pairs and alternating if you're not sure. And if you get 2 pairs you can get different colors so you match everything :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. I am such a Newton convert! In fact I got rid of all my other running shoes!!!!!

    As for the Muddy Buddy / Warrior Dash -

    DO IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    even if you have to tap one of your girlfriends instead of Biker Boy

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading my little blog, your comments rock my compression socks!! ºoº