Tuesday, April 19, 2011

My Journey To Get A Backpack (& News!)

The following is re-posted. I originally wrote it for Courtney's blog. I have nothing to say right now, so I thought I'd share it with those of you that didn't get to read it the first time. And if you already did see it, jump to the bottom for a couple bits of new news!
 
Hello! I'm R*nda ~ aka the Little Fruit Fly in Rainbow Colored Socks, and I am proud to say that I AM a runner! In 2009 I kept seeing some friends of mine that were suddenly running races of all lengths, including marathons. I wanted to be cool like them and conquer something I've never believed possible. I mean the thought of running was just insane to me. I wasn't a couch potato by any means, but I was certainly NOT a runner! One of them told me about the C25K program. Within one week I had looked into it, bought shoes and registered for two 5Ks. At this point I couldn't even run around the track. My first goal was to run around the block, then a mile, then hit the 5K mark. I figured if I registered for races I would be forced to stick with the plan, or else bomb on race day.

My first race came in December 2009, and despite just getting over H1N1, I ran and loved it. Soon I was on a plane and heading to Florida to run in Disney's 2010 Royal Family Princess and the Frog 5K. My ultimate goal? Run the entire 3.1 miles non-stop. No walking, just pure running the best I could. My end reward would be treating myself to the delicious perfume from Norway at Epcot that I had been drooling over for ages. (To skip to the finish line, I DID get that perfume!)
Before the 2010 Royal Family 5K

My ultimate goal, however, would soon be upgraded before even leaving the Fit For A Princess Expo. I excitedly picked up my packet - only to look at it like it was a mean joke. I got an ugly cotton t-shirt in a clear, plastic, drawstring bag. I went downstairs and saw other runners wearing purple backpacks with the Princess 1/2 Marathon logo on them and was immediately trying to stifle an only-child temper tantrum. I was so embarrassed about my bag that I went down to the ESPN store to buy a backpack to hide it in. When I returned to the expo I proclaimed that in 2011 I would in fact be running the half-marathon and I would get a backpack of my own!

I had one year to be prepared to run 13.1 miles. For me, the entire year would be spent preparing by doing as many 5K and 10K races as I could. Not one to back down from a challenge, I was doing trail races, running up and down mountains, setting multiple PRs for myself, setting an all time worst finish for myself, getting sick at the finish line, jumping in the air through the finish line, running in costume, racing at midnight, traveling around Oregon & Washington on my own just to experience new race settings, racing on the training grounds of my running idol, Steve Prefontaine, and in general having a blast!

Before I knew it, it was officially time to start preparing for the Princess Half Marathon. I hardly recognize myself when I say that I had a fabulous time training for it. Each new distance was amazing to hit - although I won't lie, there were tears during my first 7 mile run. There were so many runs in the dark, alone, in the rain and cold weather, but it was all worth it. Once February 2011 rolled around I was in the zone and ready to tackle Walt Disney World on foot!
Before the 2011 Princess Half!

Seeing as the backpack is what fueled my desire to run, I was filled with pure anticipation upon arriving to the 2011 expo. If I didn't get a backpack I wasn't sure how I would react! Sure enough, I got not only one but TWO backpacks. What?? This year the 5K runners got a backpack, too?? I know I shouldn't pout, but come on! Do you realize how many miles I ran just to try to get that dang backpack? But I wasn't complaining. I proudly wore BOTH of my neon green bags around that expo - and even through the parks for the next couple of days. When race day morning came I was just a bundle of excitement. For the first time in my life I was running with a partner (Hi Lesley!!) and felt really prepared for this new distance. I can't even summarize how much fun I had! All things considered (i.e. the insane heat and humidity that I was not prepared for) I think I had a smile on my face almost the entire time. I went home with about 150 new photos on my camera from that one race alone and so many memories to really last a lifetime!

I guess I have to thank RunDisney for shaming me into running a half marathon! I have absolutely no regrets about the path that got me to this point. I've never felt as healthy as I do now, and I have met so many great runners as a result! As it is now I will be completing 7 half-marathons in 2011 alone, then returning in January to Walt Disney World to meet that same half-marathon course minus the crazy heat! All of this just because of a silly $2 mesh backpack!
 
 
********
And now for today's news!
 

That snippet shows Biker Boy and I are officially registered for the Warrior Dash!!

AND


That snippet shows I am officially registered for the WDW 1/2 Marathon! No, I'm not doing the Tinker Bell 1/2 Marathon. Nothing against Disneyland, Tinker Bell or running.... I just can't do both with them being in the same month, and I have a score to settle with the WDW course. No pictures this time... this is all about running and showing it who's boss!

11 comments:

  1. I don't think I could run the Disney World course and NOT take pictures. I just love that place too much. Good luck!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Woohoo! Good luck on both races! I'm doing the Tough Mudder (similar to WD) in a few weeks and thinking about WDW half next year...I couldn't find it on the site, but I assume they let you stay and play in the park for the rest of the day, right?

    ReplyDelete
  3. WARRIOR DASH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WHOOOOHOOOOOO!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I knew you'd be happy, Rose! We do it just 6 days after the Disneyland Half. You can spend our 13 miles together giving me tips on how to kick ass! I cannot wait to get muddy!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. YEAH Warrior Dash! I've never done it but heard so many great things from people.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I did Warrior Dash last year in Chicago with my running group and had a blast. We are going again this year to the Columbus one. You will have a blast! Thanks for the sweet comments on my blog! Venting helps a little bit ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Warrior Dash was a blast and the only race the boyfriend and I have done together. Well. Not really together, I smoked him ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Liar, liar pants on fire... no way you won't take pictures... no way...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Woohoo for two races!! I'm debating the Tinker Bell half... I will be so impressed if you don't stop for photos at the WDW half! :) I don't think I could.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ah Oh! You are a full-blooded runner!

    ReplyDelete
  11. YAY! Warrior Dash!!!

    I am thinking of doing it again in November - ankle replacement surgery be damned!!!!

    Have fun!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading my little blog, your comments rock my compression socks!! ºoº