Monday, April 4, 2011

Run #2.7 - Complete Breakdown

The weather was beautiful! I fixed a yummy breakfast for Biker Boy and myself, then we went out for a run that was planned to be 7, 8 or 9 miles. Ha! I wish. 

This is the first time since doing serious running (post H1N1 in 2009) that I have had a cold. Oh my gosh - I had no idea how hard it was going to be for me. I could NOT breathe at all. Not being able to breathe made my whole body feel like it just couldn't go. We weren't even two miles in when I stopped all together and stood there almost in tears. I just felt like a total failure. I've been in a running funk since the Shamrock 15K and I can't get out of it. I guess all the frustration just came out during this run. Biker Boy was great and just tried to pump me up and remind me that even though I might not be having the best run I am still good. I have run 13.1 before. I'm not on the couch being lazy like a lot of other people. I'm still trying. I appreciated his pep talk. It was a lot cleaner than the words that were coming out of my mouth to myself, that's for sure! And he humored me by pointing out the piles of Canadian Goose poop lining our route. Lovely - but it didn't make me laugh.

We went on a new part of the bike path today since I had company and nice weather. I was finally feeling better, physically, until my stupid Meniere's kicked my ass again! (I do have a doctor's appointment tomorrow, so hopefully we can discuss my recent issues and figure out if I need new meds or what!) I ended up being help up by BB and finally just sat on my ass in the path. Thank goodness it wasn't race day. A few minutes later I was up and we did finish out our run to just 5 miles. I was too scared to do one more loop and be farther from home with no way to get back if I had "the big one". 

I finished 5 miles in 56 minutes and have nothing to brag about really. I finished strong - so I guess that is something. Overall I'm just really disappointed in these last few runs. Since I did the 10 mile run a couple Sunday's ago I feel like I'm going downhill. But history shows that every other long run for me sucks ... which means next Sunday in the Corvallis Half Marathon I will be AWESOME!!

7 comments:

  1. Wait...I thought that you laughed a little when I pointed out the poop...it really is a cyclist thing (not pointing out poop) - you are supposed to point out obstacles in the road (pot holes, glass) when you see them...when we would get punchy on long rides we would just start pointing out everything...so that is why I pointed out the poop...maybe you were laughing at me shaking me arse???? I know that you laughed at least once durning the run...and you did awesome and you are going to kill it this coming weekend!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. hey...we've all been there.

    some good, some bad...it's not giving up right?

    next week you'll do awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Everyone has bad days, and better this past weekend than next! Let your body heal so you can be ready for the weekend. No more training right now is going to make you any faster or bring more endurance. You're going to do great!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh poop. And not being able to breathe is the worst. But you still did 5 miles! There are just plain old bad runs. But you are going to do great next weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey, you did the five miles... those kind of runs are the ones that build character. GOOD JOB!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes - but how could you not take a picture of the poop as a bona-fide blogger!!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading my little blog, your comments rock my compression socks!! ºoº