Sunday, April 17, 2011

Run #3.3 - Run Long and Taper

Oh happy day. I ran 10 miles! I did NOT get dizzy! I did NOT throw up! I did not cry. I did not whine. I did not feel miserable.  .... I ignored doctor's orders!

I can't even say how relieved I was to just run without issues! Last year when my doctor put me on daily meds for Meniere's Disease he said I should probably not take them before my long runs or races because the whole point of the medicine is to drain water out of  me. That means I am going to the bathroom all freaking day!  Well, as seen in my last month of racing/running, I've been really struggling with dizziness on the long runs, resulting in nausea and a very hard time running continually. So today I decided to take my meds anyway. As other runners pointed out, it would be faster to hit a potty or two versus be forced to walk half of a race. I'm so glad I made the decision to take that little turquoise pill!

Actually, during today's run I could tell it had been a while since I was running long distances non-stop. I was feeling it in my legs, let's ignore that I just ran a half marathon and never rested after it, mmkay? Overall it was a really nice final double digit run before Eugene! Instead of music, I ran to the Larry Miller podcast (I seriously love him!), the Adam Carolla podcast (I love him even more!!) and a running podcast. The running one talked about proper form. I enjoyed hearing that. I found myself trying to mimic what he was saying and I actually felt a little stronger overall. Could be mind or matter, but that's okay by me!

Along the way I had paused at the duck pond to watch two Canadian Geese with their furry, yellow little babies swimming around. Then when I started up again I looked over in the store parking lot ... and I saw this beautiful face!


My little daughter, Lady, was "shopping" with her grandpa. He dognapped her during his dump run - we have since been reunited at her grammy's house for some post race tortellini.  So that run was lovely! I did 10 miles in 1 hour 46 minutes. If you'll recall, my half marathon last Sunday took 2 hours 43 minutes. I'd say I'm improving a bit!

After running, as I mentioned, I came out to my mom's for some serial killer documentaries and pasta. My step-dad talked through our serial killer shows, so we'll try that again later. I was also quizzed incessantly about Biker Boy, who is now taxiing away from the terminal at LAX and on his way back to Portland after a week in Mexico! I also tried to catch up on blogs because I am so far behind.  I read about Rose going to a pickled egg eating contest. This was my reaction:


It is a little dark. Basically that is me sans any make up at all, in Biker Boy's clothes with completely unbrushed hair. I am soooo sexy on Sunday afternoons! And that is me looking completely grossed out. The winner ate 41 eggs  - plus some before and after. I enjoy scrambled eggs and hard boiled eggs, but 40+ pickled quail eggs? I think it was quail ... that's a bit much!

And my poor shoes, they were so fresh and so clean, until 2.8 miles into today's run.


Speaking of clothing, I did my run today in my shirt for the Eugene Half Marathon. I'm happy to report it was a winner! No irritation, completely comfortable, not too hot, not too cold. What a relief! Now if only May 1st would get here. Well, okay, April 30th. I'm ready for the expo and bloggy dinner!

13 comments:

  1. Nice run! You are going to kill Eugene!

    ReplyDelete
  2. gross lol... that would've been my reaction too! lol...

    you are going to rock eugene!! yay for no dizziness! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can just tell that Eugene will be an awesome race for you.

    What running podcast do you listen to?

    ReplyDelete
  4. So glad to hear that the meds provided some relief and you are kickin' ass! The dirt on the shoes give them character and make them even cooler in my opinion.

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Richelle ... I had to cheat and look it up. I only listen to it once every couple of months, but I like it. The podcast is Phedippidations. The guy has a good sense of humor and doesn't take himself too seriously at all. I like that.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great run, glad it went well!
    I had the same reaction to those eggs...blech!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I had the same reaction.
    Great run!! You will do great in Eugene.
    PS. your puppy is c.u.t.e.

    ReplyDelete
  8. So glad the meds helped!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nice job. It was a successful double digit Sunday for both of us!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Super run! It great to have that last long run before the big event go so effortlessly.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great run!! And hooray for no dizziness! You are so going to rock Eugene!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sooo glad to hear that you didn't have the dizzy problems on this run!!!

    I know you are gonna kill the half coming up!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading my little blog, your comments rock my compression socks!! ºoº