Saturday, April 23, 2011

Run #3.5 - Photo Blog of Failure

I know what I did wrong. In fact, Coach Lesley just wrote a post about it this week.  Things I did right: put on shoes, wore running clothes, grabbed sunglasses and took my Meniere's meds. (Success ... NO dizziness for 2 long runs in a row now!) Things I did wrong: failed on hydrating throughout the week and prior to the run, skipped my pre-run banana and forgot sunblock. Basically, I didn't respect the distance and prepare for a long run.

As my final long run before the Eugene Half, I was very excited to see that it was a beautiful day in Portland. I just knew that Biker Boy and I would have a great 8 miles... his longest run to date (had it happened, but let's not jump ahead). We went downtown and set out to run four miles along the river before turning around and coming back. Moods were high! 


Biker Boy even seemed ready for the miles ... and this was his debut run in his new official running shorts. Yay! Check out his fabulous form? And ignore that he's running the wrong way!


I haven't been this direction in so long, I was really excited when before me I saw a submarine! I mean this was way bigger than those submarines they had back in Disneyland when I was a kid. This was gigantic! ... and not yellow?? Hmmm.


Then I turned around and saw that we were at OMSI! I used to love OMSI when I was young. I totally got geeked out over the space things. Actually, in 6th grade I met Jack Schmitt - one of the astronauts on Apollo 17, the last mission to the moon - at OMSI. 


The path sucked. I am used to being able to run on a path without getting buzzed. Apparently if you weren't in a bike then you shouldn't have been on the path. The only times I felt "safe" were the times I was running on the grass and gravel next to the path. I lost track of how many times I almost got hit by a bicyclist just flying down. It was miserable for me. Funny how this wide path can accommodate cyclists sometimes 2 and 3 across, but heaven forbid a single runner keep both feet in the path. I felt like I had to just balance on the white line and even then I was taking up too much room. This did not make me want to continue long runs up in Portland. *Biker Boy was also disgusted with their behavior, so I was relieved it wasn't me just being a brat.

Well, basically I will say this. . . my run was a failure. My legs and feet started cramping. I was in pure pain. We were only 2.5 miles into our run when I just stopped the timer, moved off of the path and began a potty-mouth rant. I was NOT happy with my body. I couldn't run. I was just hurting. So we walked down through some trails to loosen up my legs and help me calm down. Biker Boy was great. I mean imagine having to put up with me almost in tears because I suck! I wouldn't want to be him.


I decided to continue. I am not a quitter and I wasn't going to end it like this. We continued on. I did feel better, leg wise. I was pretty excited when ahead of me I saw this:


Fun! We didn't go, however. But the whole carnival-like park (that I hear is there year round) was fun to look at. Then suddenly something scary happened. I don't even really know how to describe it. We were about 3.5 miles in (when in reality we should have been 6 miles in, but I was sucking) and my heart just went nuts. I have never felt it do whatever it did, but I got really scared and felt like I was about to collapse. I tried my best to get BB's attention, and then hurried into some shade, sat down and started crying. I don't know what happened, but I know it wasn't supposed to happen!

That break was nice. I got myself calmed down, drank some water and decided to sample the GU I brought along. (Tri Berry, for those of you curious readers.)


It was ... interesting? Better than I expected, but also pretty sweet. Remember I don't eat any candy, nor chocolate, and haven't in 17+ years. So this was a bit much for me and made me really thirsty. Nothing like washing it down with warm water.

We decided to turn around and head back toward the car. I was really shaken by the whole heart pounding thing and just wanted to be at home. Well, then I realized I was battling some GI issues, with NO potty in sight. Great. Running wise I was doing much better. My legs felt better than the first half, so that was a relief. But now I was just hot and my tummy was NOT happy. We ended up just walking the last mile, with a few running gaps here and there. Damn. In the end I ran/walked 6.5 miles in just under an hour and twenty minutes (plus all that time spent freaking out in the woods and wanting to throw myself into the river). Poop.

To boost my spirits, and fill our tummies, we hit up Hopworks for some "epic" nacho fries and hummus. It was yummy and hit the spot. 


So the run was a fail. I will proclaim it the WORST RUN OF MY LIFE. The good part? Every other long run for me is great .... which means the Eugene Half Marathon will be a success!!!

15 comments:

  1. Sorry it wasn't a great run, we all have those days but they are no fun. Don't worry, you will rock the Eugene half regardless!
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. At least you looked adorable? Just remember that as the weather gets warmer you will need even more fuel and hydration. Your next run will be better!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The real bummer to this is that on the other side of the river and South a little ways, the Portland Marathon clinic group was doing free training runs of 6, 8, or 10 miles and I got suckered into doing it the day after I did speed drills. The person who talked me into it is running the Eugene half next week and he needed at least ONE double-digit run before the race.

    And now you know why a large number of bikers are vilified in the Metro area.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's all Triberry's fault. That is my least favorite flavor. No more Triberry for you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Everyone has a bad run now and again, but you're right- you're going to have an awesome Eugene Half! Go get em Girl!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That part of Springwater Corridor trail is so narrow, it really sucks. A fair number of cyclists will call out and warn you they're coming, but a lot of them don't, and they always seem to be the ones going so fast. Assholes. They kept sneaking up on us today and I'd call out "you're just so quiet!"

    Your BP meds might be causing the heart palpitations, particularly if you're dehydrated -- my doctor was just talking with me about that. We drank probably 80 oz each out on our 10+ miler today and still were dehydrated.

    Well, this run being lousy means that you'll rock Eugene -- just wait and see!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh wow, that does sound scary. Glad you were able to calm down. Ugh - at least you got the bad run out of the way. Bring on Eugene!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sorry your run was so sucky! Vanessa's right... you will rock Eugene!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What do u mean you don't eat candy or chocolate???!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Think of all the things you learned about yourself, mean bikers, and how to recover. You got a lot out of this run, just not what you thought going into it. The submarine is way cool , I've never seen one.

    ReplyDelete
  11. The heart thing is scary, I hope you call the doctor and try and get some answers asap.

    Not all runs are going to be rockstar runs, right? I have no doubt in my mind that you are going to ROCK Eugene because you are so bad ass!

    ReplyDelete
  12. awe lady...I'm sorry the run wasn't stellar but at least next week should be awesome!!

    i totally blame the GI issues on the GU! The Heed is better, it has less sugar than GU and supposedly doesn't act the same way as the GU does..

    ReplyDelete
  13. Are you feeling better now??? Your heart thing sounds scary : (

    No chocolate? seriously? why? I'm very intrigued.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Try Sport Beans instead of GU. GU always upsets my stomach, but the beans don't for some reason.

    Bummer about your run - but super awesome about BB being there for you. Got a gem there ya have!

    Happy running and prepare to channel Pre in the half!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Sorry the run wasn't the best. Hope the next one is GREAT though!
    I dig Hammer gels/products, which are a bit more natural than GU.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading my little blog, your comments rock my compression socks!! ºoº