Friday, April 29, 2011

Run #3.7 - That's All She Wrote, Folks

This is it. Final run before the Eugene Half Marathon! 

I deliberately decided to not run last night, and instead do another morning run. Here are things that went "wrong":
  • I turned on too many space heaters and threw a circuit breaker out of whack. Had to repair that so my computer would turn on again.
  • I forgot to put away a half eaten, yet still in the wrapper, Clif bar. The ants found it. I had to get Raid and go on the attack.
  • Time was ticking. I had to be back home to shower and get ready for work.
  • My body decided it HAD to make a mid-run pit-stop in the park, resulting in a turn around earlier than planned.
  • Thus, resulting in a 2 mile run versus the planned 3 miles.
Here are things that went right:
  • My new Nike running capris that I picked up last night for pretty cheap were VERY comfortable and kept me at a great temperature. (I also snagged a throw away sweatshirt for just $2.98 during my shopping trip!)
  • My legs felt great.
  • No cramping.
  • I was smart and had a pre-run banana!
  • I successfully ran 2 miles in 21 minutes, tackling two short, yet sort of steep hills in the process.
So while I didn't do the 4 miles I originally wanted, nor the 3 that I set out for, I am fine. As they say, anything I do today isn't going to get me any more trained for Sunday. My mental confidence was boosted, I got up and moved, I felt good!
Pre's Rock - Eugene, Oregon

Looking ahead to Sunday, for me, this is just a mental game. I cannot run 13.1 miles non-stop. I know this. I will have to walk here and there, but I want to keep it for as short of a time as possible - ideally just water stops. This is going to be a mental race for me more than physical. As long as I can keep my head in the right place then I will be just fine. Right now I feel in that zone for success!

I'll spend today hydrating, staring at the course map, worrying about where to park so that Biker Boy and I can both get to Hayward Field (any suggestions from you Eugene Marathon pros are welcome!!), thinking about the expo and what I may get, hoping that I will be lucky enough to meet Linda Prefontaine while I am at the expo (cross your fingers for me!) and thinking about my packing list for tonight. Tomorrow morning I'll leave town pretty early to get the expo when it opens. I'll be hitting up the mall for some make-up (because that's important, dammit!) and will also take Biker Boy to Pre's Rock so I can have a little pre-run pep talk with Pre.  And then I'll join the OBC (Oregon Blogger Connection -- shout out!) for dinner before I try to sleep!

Have a great Friday everyone, and I'll see you at the races!  And good luck to everyone racing this weekend. I know there are tons of us, it's going to be exciting Nation wide! Who needs a royal wedding when we have half and full marathons to run?

20 comments:

  1. You are going to be great this weekend - you've put the work in, you're ready to kill it :D.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The confidence boost is what the last run is for anyway...so if you got that, then your run was a success. Good luck!
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are so ready! See you tomorrow night!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I expect you will do better than you think you can. Just remember to have fun. I kinda wish I was going down there, but we got some drinkin' to do on Saturday, so that is out of the question.

    ReplyDelete
  5. sounds like you have a plan and are ready for the race this weekend! :D Good luck!! :) Can't wait to read all about it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good luck this weekend! Julie and I were trying to get down to spectate but it doesn't look like we'll be able to :( We will be running at least a half marathon distance on Saturday though, so we'll send lots of good vibes in preparation for your race :)

    Walking the water stops and running the rest is a good, simple goal to have. That was my goal when I ran Eugene. I didn't meet that goal, but it did keep me running several times when I did want to walk, knowing that a water stop was soon to appear. Above all, though, have fun! You're running in the footsteps of legends!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Can't wait to hear about your race!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This race is going to be awesome. You are going to kick so much butt.

    Keep hydrating!

    ReplyDelete
  9. good luck this weekend, you'll do great!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Good luck..have fun...all that good stuff...

    ReplyDelete
  11. Girl! Forget that Royal Wedding. YOU go run like a 13.1 Princess!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Good luck! You'll do great!

    ReplyDelete
  13. You'll be ready! Just keep to your plan. :)

    I think you can park at 5th street market or gateway mall and catch a bus or shuttle...that might be a best bet? I just had dad drop me off and park a ways away much later.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Good Luck Chickie! You'll do great : )

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is it! It's time to run your ass off! Here's to a great weekend of racing.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'll see you out there -- I'm running the full tomorrow! Best of luck

    ReplyDelete
  17. Have a great time! I will be out there too, running the full. I'm so excited, but scared because of an IT issue...hoping the best for us both!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Good luck!! You are going to do great tomorrow!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Recap time!! How'd it go?! I loved the course and crushed it. I'm thinking likewise for you...can't wait to hear more!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading my little blog, your comments rock my compression socks!! ºoº