Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Going Postal, Medals and Punctuation

Hello Blog World! I've missed you! I don't even have a set topic, but I just missed writing, so here I am!

First off, I'm about to go postal at work. I can't tell you how frustrating it is to work with a robot that seriously needs to be on medication and/or retire. I'm hoping for retirement, but I honestly believe I will retire before this woman does -- and she's been here 32 years! Pretty sure she'll just die in her chair and we'll watch her get wheeled out, then continue on with our day. If you're my fb friend, she's the one that leaves the 1 square of toilet paper behind... but the record shows one time it was 1/2 of a strip. Half! Anyway.....

And her shirt looks like a table cloth today. 

Okay, so yeah.....

My long run didn't happen this weekend. I was walking the golf course on Saturday and things were fine. Then I had to go down the hill on the 8th hole and my knee froze again. We still has 10 holes to go! Don't worry ... the vodka and the rum helped to soothe away the pain. My mom and I are such twins, we both spent the last 9 holes with the same exact limp. I had intended to run 7 miles on Sunday, but Coach Lesley said to take a break. It is driving me nuts to not run. I haven't gone since my 2 miles on Friday night. Did I even blog that run? OMG, I'm behind! Okay - that will be next. Oopsies! Tonight I resume. I might just go for a 5K again, and see how my knee feels. If all goes well, I'll increase to a 5 mile run on Thursday night.

Last night I began working on my race bib scrapbook. I have had my race box going for a year and a half now. I put my bibs in there (with labels on the back showing the race, date, location and stats - I'm not anal at all!) as well as any little souvenirs and race programs I've accumulated. I was sad just having all of my memories in a box, so I decided to make a scrapbook of my adventure. I say adventure because that is what running is for me. Sure, I've been running for a year and a half now, but at the same time, I've ONLY been running for a year and a half. In comparison to most people, I AM still a newbie.

As I was getting out paper and scrappy supplies I had to pull my medals out and set them aside. For the first page of my book I found a page that seemed very appropriate. I stopped, looked at my medals and read the words on the paper. I've been so hard on myself, so I think it was good to just reflect and see that I did a lot of work to get to where I am. I'm so much better than I ever imagined, yet I have so much more improving to do. Last night I just focused on the past. Where I started, as a girl not able to even run around the block, to where I currently am - training for my 4th half marathon and a non-stop racing schedule going into 2012.


More than some. A lot less than others. I look at this and see it as achieving what I always thought was the impossible. I can't even pick a favorite medal. The Princess & the Frog was my first medal, so obviously it is special to me. Next came the Jingle Bells Run medal ... which is different from the rest in that I earned that by getting first in my age group. Then we have Beauty & the Beast which is my first race with my mom.... awww.  Followed by the Princess Half. Obviously that is a beauty! And a HUGE accomplishment. I love that medal! After that we have the Shamrock 15K bottle opener, which is my first race with a Meniere's attack. So I see that one and see struggle and success! Next up is the Corvallis Half Marathon - the inaugural race, which makes it special to me, especially since it is was in my college town. And then there's the biggie! The Eugene Half Marathon. The medal is heavy and awesome, but the experience was even more so! And the final one for this collection is the Hippie Chick, which was a first quarter marathon for me, and a good mental success!

I guess I should periodically look back and just remember all of these things. This doesn't even count the huge stack of bibs that don't have medals to go with them. I get so busy looking toward the future that I forget that just a short while ago I was picking out my first 5K to race and starting the C25K program.  I guess I really have done a lot of work and I should be proud of that! I can't wait for my photos to come in the mail because I am ready to get to work on my book!

* * * * * * * *

And now I'd like to leave you with a snippet from my work life. This is an e-mail I received in March from the person referenced at the start of this post. I saved it for a rainy day because it is just so brilliantly terrible. I am NOT editing this in any way. This is a simple copy/paste job for your viewing pleasure. Perhaps this can help explain why I feel like I want to work in a plastic bubble some days!


This Thursday and Friday would you please be able to to afternoon break and mail on Friday because Theresa will gone at 2 on Friday
And would you be able to either do switchboard or take water call  on Friday from 2 on

And would you be able to do mail on Thursday

Karen said she could if you could help her on Friday afternoon
Thank you
Linda

**She did NOT get the time off. Was it because she can't form a complete sentence with proper punctuation? Maybe not solely that, but this didn't win her any points!**

13 comments:

  1. i love your medals!!! oh em gee...

    I can't wait to start adding onto my collection!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What does that email even say?! I cannot decipher it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's 6 more medals than I have and 8 more than the people still on the couch. I think you should hang them so you will always see them especially when you're being hard on yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You've accomplished so much! Those medals are terrific.

    And that email? Wow! I feel so bad for people that can't type/write correctly. I think it prevents people from getting promoted (and days off) when they are that inept.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Biker BoyMay 17, 2011

    I think that we need to hang the medals in the TV room...on the wall behind the TV so that they are all out for everybody to see...that would be awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I couldn't even read that email.

    Your medals are awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  7. @Rebecca - Thanks! It started out slow, but then once I got two they started acting like bunnies & multiplying!

    @Giraffy - I THINK she wanted time off? I read this sooooo many times and even forwarded it to my supervisor to see if she made sense of it.

    @Abby - next plan is a medal display! I just have to pick out the perfect one - and soon. There are quite a few more on their way this year.

    @Kim - you have NO idea. I mean this lady is pretty much only allowed to answer phones - and even then she makes it an issue. No promotions in sight. Never! That's how she speaks, too!

    @BB - you could be on to something. I'll have to plan accordingly so that all is balanced as more medals enter my house!

    @Rose - pretty soon we'll be double medal twins! I'll be adding 3 more to the collection Disneyland Half weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Biker BoyMay 17, 2011

    Yeah...I was sent this e-mail when Fly got it and I was so confused on what she wanted...it sort of made my head spin...and that is saying a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ok... apparently, I am such a girly girl.
    Show me the bling and I completely didn't read this post.
    Yep. I read up until the picture of the blings... HOLY SMOKES! I love it. I love them all.
    Don't hate me... but I am still not gonna read this post. I am going to scroll back up and look at your medals!
    Isn't that sheer awesomeness oozing out of this computer screen?

    ReplyDelete
  10. I hope you have those medals displayed prominently because they are awesome. You're awesome! You've come so far on your running journey, and you have nothing but great things ahead of you. :)

    I'm really anal about grammar, spelling and punctuation at my office. I'm called the Grammar Nazi by some of my co-workers. I hate receiving e-mails that are full of spelling and grammatical errors. Ugh!

    ReplyDelete
  11. dear lord that lady sounds crazy! looks like just a stream of thoughts vomited out on email. haha!

    you should be proud of all those medals!! i only have 1 pitiful little one.

    ReplyDelete
  12. AnonymousMay 20, 2011

    Oh Shit! I didn't realize how anal I am. Thanks a lot. Can I borrow some of that toilet paper? Maybe I should go to scrapbook parties and learn how to arrange my bibs that way instead of tossing them into a box.

    ReplyDelete
  13. so jealous of all of your medals!!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading my little blog, your comments rock my compression socks!! ºoº