Friday, May 13, 2011

Run #4.1 - Half Training Resumes ... Sub 30?


*Reposted since Blogger ate it the first time and still hasn't given it back.*

I was supposed to run. I was excited to do it. Then came 5 o'clock and all motivation was out the window. So then I convinced myself I'd do some sort of arm/upper body work out 'cause I seriously need to. The new plan was to get up in the morning and run to make up for today. And then I started reading my twin's blog. How do I have a twin when I'm an only child? I know, seems odd ... but I swear, we are twins! First it was running twins, but then our normal non-running lives seem to be echoing each other as well. Anyway, I was reading Christina's blog and she indirectly motivated me to just get out there and do my run!

I'm so happy I did!

Before the run I went back to my roots. When I first started running I would dance before I left the house. It got my heart pumping, my body all loosened up. The go-to song was always Tina Turner singing Proud Mary. I liked the slow build up before just letting loose. This time I was Dancing With Myself courtesy of the Gleecast. I had so much fun, I did the song twice! And then I was off!

I ignored the rain, threw on a visor to keep my face dry, and was on my way. Three miles were on tap. Originally I wanted 5, but wasn't sure how my knee was going to hold up. The first mile was fabulous! I freaked when I saw how fast I went. So then I went on for mile two. At 1.89 my knee locked up and I had to pause. It was at this moment when Poker Face came on and I stretched out my leg on the bike path, singing some Lady Gaga at just a normal/loud volume. It was the evening, it was raining. I was alone ... just singing in the rain! And then I continued with my run. Unfortunately I had to pause again because my knee hurt so bad and didn't want to bend. Does anybody know what is going on and how to fix this? I suspect it is from running a half marathon followed by a quarter marathon on all non-flat roads where my left leg was always on a slant. 

Anyway, back to this crazy moment! I was trying to not slack. I was fighting through the pain and just focusing on having good form to hopefully not make my knee worse. I looked down and I was at 3.03. Well, I already passed 3 miles and had some steam left in me, saw that I was still sub-30 and I pushed it. I wanted that sub-30 5K. Hot dog, I did it!!*  29:36 .... exactly one minute faster than my current 5K racing PR.

*I can't officially count this because a) it wasn't in a race, and I would LOVE to get sub-30 in a 5K race and b) I had to pause my Garmin a couple of times while trying to regain function in my knee. BUT, as far as running time goes, I did it! This just gave me the boost I needed, and I am excited to try for it again!

My splits were as follows: 9:30, 9:55, 9:23 and then 7:48 for that final 10th. And to think I did over a mile of this with a limp! Negative splits and a sub-30 running time. I won't complain at all! I'm glad this next round of training started off with such a bang!

11 comments:

  1. HUGE HIGH FIVE!!!!

    You need to sign up for a 5k STAT!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is great. I am sorry about your knee. Don't do anything crazy! I don't want you to get injured and have to sit out for awhile. Take care of yourself!

    ReplyDelete
  3. awesome!!!

    your definitely on your way your 4th Half!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice run, that Hippie Chick shirt looks fab u lous.

    When I've had pain in my knee, it's been because of tight quads/calves. Did you get a foam roller yet?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice job on the (unofficial, but just as real!) PR!
    Take care of that knee!
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. hope your knee gets better soon. ive dealt with a pesky case of runner's knee for about a year. could be tight quads. stretch those out really good, maybe try some KT tape to stabilize it some.

    ReplyDelete
  7. A PR is a PR no matter what way you look at it (as long as it was you that ran it)

    Congrats on the faster times :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh my gosh! I had to LOL at the thought you bustin' a move to Proud Mary. How awesome is that!?!? I might have to borrow your power move before I try to tackle my first 5-mile this month. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the idea of dancing around by yourself. Yet, I never think to do it. I used to do this often in the car but I don't think the people on the subway would appreciate it. . . or maybe they would.

    Thanks for reminding me to have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love that you were dancing and dancing to "Proud Mary", I do that song in my Zumba class.

    ReplyDelete
  11. AnonymousMay 18, 2011

    You have more FAST in you than you thought. Way to get outside and run. I hope the knee is okay.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading my little blog, your comments rock my compression socks!! ºoº