Monday, May 23, 2011

Run #4.5 - Aye, Thar Be Big Planes & A Winner Says I

My inspiration for the day, courtesy of Julie!
Like it? You can get one, too!
Not one to slack when I have a goal (even though ultimately I am the biggest slacker I know) I refused to skip my long run on Sunday. I refused to NOT attempt my long run on Sunday might be more accurate. After a yummy egg/bagel sandwich fixed for me by Biker Boy, I put on my running ensemble and we were quickly in the car heading toward the Columbia River. Our plan was to run on this nice, paved path toward the airport, along the river, for 4 miles, turn around, run back. 8 miles. Yeah, I haven't done that since the Eugene Half Marathon ... but I have Seattle to prepare for, and my calendar says Eight! Given that in the past I just SUCK at running with Biker Boy I told him to just go at his own pace and not worry about running at mine. I knew I'd always have him in my sights, and I am a loner, I do better without pressure from others next to me. Of course I've only run with Lesley and Biker Boy, and Lesley helped ... but whatever. Sorry BB - I just cannot keep up with you.

SO, the first mile I felt great. Around .7 I started eyeballing the fields of tall grass. Why? I HAD to go. If I couldn't find a bathroom I was trying to see where I could just nestle in and blend. Fortunate for me, once we crossed the road and hit the path right at the water I saw a boat landing. And what was there? A porta-potty. Woohoo! Hallelujah! I forgot to pause my Garmin while I was scaling down a hill to get to it, but oh well. .... I didn't really feel I needed to count my potty break and wandering around to get to it in my running time. So pit-stop done, back on the path. It was at this point that I started to be fascinated by the planes. I've never been under a plane when it is taking off, and it was pretty cool! The Columbia River and Washington on my left, airplanes on my right, I was really enjoying the path. And then I hit 1.75. Biker Boy was so far ahead, with his music going, he couldn't hear me shout his name. I just had to stop, nearly cry from frustration, and wait for him to come back. I knew I couldn't go any further if I was going to make it back to the car. Talk about disappointment - but at least I gave it a shot, and kept it at an easy effort.

The planes distracted me again - some of them pop up so fast and are silent, then there are those ginormous ones that looked like cruise liners in the sky. I had a blast watching them. Even as we ran back I'd stop and yell for BB to look at the latest one flying overhead. Running again, I was in and out of feeling okay. Then came Queer as Folk on my iPod, a song from my favorite TV show of all time. Fast pace, great memories, it put me in the zone. Forget that I wasn't feeling well, I heard this song and my legs went.... at 9:22 pace for quite a while. Sure, my inspiration was my subconscious desire to be a skinny, smooth, shiny chested gay boy dancing topless in a club under the disco balls and flashing lights, surrounded by other hot, muscular, sweaty men sipping on the latest "must have" cocktails. Oh. My. Gosh. I really AM a gay man in a girl's body -- this is what my #1 gay said last weekend on facebook! Pretty sure I'm just a straight girl, but maybe I was really inspired to run fast and look hot so I could dance with the yummy boys?? Aye aye aye, I need a drink!

3 miles in less than 34 minutes - there was a LOT of walking in that last mile. While I ran I was forcing myself to keep it around 10:15ish (or slower if I could). But there were those fast bursts here and there. Biker Boy and I had a little pep talk while I was trying to mentally keep it together. We discussed how the fitness level is there, my mind is there, I just have to go easy and let my leg heal. So Seattle's goal is still just to finish. I won't cry if I have to walk more than I want. I just want to have a fun Rock 'n' Roll experience, taking in the people and sights. If I can run here and there, that will be great, too!

After the run we took fast showers and went to an old theater to see Pirates: On Stranger Tides in 3-D. I have bad movie luck, and was stuck behind the most annoying dad ever. I swear he was sitting in a booster seat and kept wiggling. I eventually just had to move seats so that I could see the screen. I did the math, his head took up 1/8th of the screen. That's too much. Jack Sparrow is still freaking hot! Loved Barbosa. Penelope Cruz wasn't totally annoying to look at - she had the raddest costumes ever!! Have you gone to the movies right after a run? Yeah, this was my first time .... let's just say we completely inhaled our large, buttered popcorn BEFORE the movie even started!

* * * * * * *

I entered everybody into an excel spreadsheet - so I could do the math right and play fair - and we have a winner of the awesome "Ain't Nothin' Gonna Break My Stride" cup. The winner is.... drum roll please....

Cupcake Runner ~ check out her blog: Running and Cupcakes

*Back story: We "met" via a virtual race that was going on. She won! But I WAS in 2nd place for a while, and it was this race that motivated me to run my ass off and get my current 5K PR and win the age group award in the next race. I still didn't beat her, but I had a great time trying to keep up!



Did you have a good run this weekend?
Are you doing any Rock'n'Roll events this year?
Did you go see Pirates yet?

6 comments:

  1. I did not run this weekend, but I worked in the yard until there were sweat stains on my jeans. Does that count?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, watching jets take off is kinda cool. I used to live near a SAC base and watching B52's do "touch and go's" is still the most amazing thing I have ever seen.

    Good running even if it was tough.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had a decent run this past Sunday. A long run of 3.5 miles :) It was decent. It was painless. So, it must be good.

    My only RnR experience was at New Orleans. Hmmm.. I don't think it lived up to the hype though ....

    I haven't been to the movies in FOREVER. Really.. like years... Yes... And when I get movies from Netflix, you know it is chick flicks and documentaries. I had to watch a semi-thriller this weekend and I was so scared I was about pee my pants!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The last movie I saw in a theater was The King's Speech. Great movie! I really want to see Bridesmaids.

    Seriously, you crack me up. I love your posts!

    I ran a 10K training run on Saturday. I felt sluggish, but that was probably due to the light drizzle that was falling.

    I'm doing RNR Savannah Half in November. So excited for it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. AnonymousMay 25, 2011

    I wasn't planning on seeing Pirates because I was really disappointed with #2 and #3 but I've heard this one is much better. So maybe I will....maybe

    ReplyDelete
  6. This Pirates was soooo much better than the other two sequels. The Boy and I loved it!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading my little blog, your comments rock my compression socks!! ºoº