Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Why Fruit Fly?


At our blogger dinner last Saturday --- after I met Pre's sister!! --- and the night before the Eugene Half Marathon  --- I was asked "Why Fruit Fly?"

Obviously Fruit Fly is NOT my birthday name, although if it was, then I'd have FFF as initials, and that would be kind of funny. I'd be a Fun Fearless Female! So, why? I will tell you!

Initially my blog started out with a different background and a different name. It had MY name in it. To make a long, scary story short, I had to give it a complete make-over. New address, new background, new name. Same blog, just with all identifying details removed.  In older posts I would use *** in my name to avoid Google searches and Google alerts. I had some unwanted visitors that made me very uneasy, especially given the fact that earlier in my life my mom had to talk with a local police detective about what our options were given the nature of the e-mails I was being sent from this person I avoid.

SO, in order to continue blogging and interactive with the non-stalker types, I needed a new name! 

Clark & Mike with their drinks. FruitFly with nothing. :(
I thought about myself. My interests, hobbies, a way to describe Me!  I have many friends that are boys that like boys. I have friends and family that are girls that like girls. Where I live isn't as open minded and as accepting as I am, so I enjoy displaying my support. Rainbow socks? Why yes, I do wear them .... I have oodles of rainbow accessories ready for any night out - especially a night with the boys where we go watch the boys that dress as girls. (Rainbows = P.R.I.D.E. = Get it?)

My two main men, Mike & Clark, know I am their #1 hag. I seriously adore them so much. They live in Chicago now, so those of you in that area be watching for me to come for a visit and a race some time!  They always call me their hag. That's what I am. I do that roll fabulously!

But there are two other divine men that I love to hang out with when I'm in Vegas or they are in Oregon. The super sexy Alex and Daniel. Alex and Daniel do NOT like the term hag. It isn't pretty enough. They prefer "fruit fly". I agree. It is really cute - just like them!
That's Daniel, my honorary boyfriend, in the black and Alex, his boyfriend, in the red. I actually met Alex first - and he set Daniel and I up on a "date" to watch him perform. It was love at first sight! If you'd like to see them sans make-up and dresses, just scroll down my side bar and you'll see a photo of them. They are too much fun. Any of you running the Vegas RnR Half - join me for their show that weekend. It is a BLAST!!

Anyway ... that's how I came to be the Little Fruit Fly in Rainbow Colored Socks!

And just for fun .... let's have a couple more photos of the men that indirectly gave me my name!
Daniel as Jessica Rabbit
Alex as Celine Dion
**Alex's Cher ROCKS!! If the video doesn't work, will someone please let me know? Thanks!**

15 comments:

  1. AWESOME. I love these pictures. Jessica Rabbit is fiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiine.

    ReplyDelete
  2. great explanation- didn't know what the term 'fruit fly' meant, makes sense. also your video DOES work!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Interesting. I always wondered. Your friends look FUN!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are too funny. I had a feeling the first time I looked at your blog that was the basis for the name. You may want to remind your faithful readers to refrain from using your real name in comments...just in case.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well everybody spells it wrong ... so I don't correct them! They are my own censors that way!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Are you coming up for the Rum Run? Mojitos and beer before 10 am! I love running!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm still undecided. It DOES sound very tempting though! The Parrothead in me sees "rum" and gets excited!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'll load a small MP3 player with Jimmy Buffet songs and we can run singing them the whole way.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ooh this is so tempting! If I didn't break my coconut bra at Jimmy's concert I would totally run in it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am hoping people were too busy to see me in my helmet because they were hurrying to work! I bet the Eugene meetup was a blast. Everyone seems to be writing about your boyfriend.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Too funny! I always wondered where the name came from. (Maybe her parents were super hippies?)
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I think the name is perfect....unique and fun like you! And I agree that your friends look like alot of fun.

    ReplyDelete
  13. So fun! You need to go visit them in Chgo!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Awesome to know where you got the name and a bit of history, lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  15. AnonymousMay 08, 2011

    I love knowing where you got your name! I took my mom to a show similar to Daniel & Alex's show - the Edwards Twins. One of the best shows I've ever seen in my life!!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading my little blog, your comments rock my compression socks!! ºoº