Monday, June 6, 2011

Run #4.10 - I'm Taking You With Me!

The ideal distance was 10 miles. The goal was 5 miles, 6 if all went well. The result was 4 miles in 41 minutes (plus photo time) - which I am okay with! Only 70º outside, I was melting! This girl sucks at warm weather running, and I haven't had a run that was this hot since the Princess Half Marathon in February. (For the record, February was actually worse.) Speaking of Princesses, during this run I decided that my goal for each long run was to remind myself of one reason why I run. What is it that I love about this crazy sport that has me running with all kinds of expensive tape scattered across my leg? For this run I thought about how I love meeting fellow runners, in particularly fellow blogging runners! At the Princess Half alone I met Lesley, Lucy, Courtney, Megan, Becka, Heather, Brooke and Katye! So I used the Princess Half as an awesome memory to get me through 4 long, sweaty miles. What a fun experience that weekend was, right?!?

I also decided to document my route. Today instead of babbling about how my leg held up pretty well, and had I not been dying from the heat I bet I could have done 5 miles, I'm inviting you to run along with me! Ready? Garmins on? And .... let's .... GO!

Left my house and hit the main road (we'll see that later). Cross the river, down the bike path, under the bridge and behold .... the park!

This is where I use the potty, if need be, and refill my water bottle. Continuing on, I pass the train and head toward the golf course. The golf course is on my right, the YMCA, sand volleyball courts and baseball fields are to my left.

After passing through all of that and going by the tennis courts I round the corner and get a chance to see the beautiful valley I live in. Let's just pause here and enjoy, mmkay?

Continuing on I say good bye to the golf course and hello to the duck pond! Hello Duck Pond!

And here are some of the ducks. (Sadly the babies weren't near me today.)

Next to the pond I pick up the pace when I go by the Skate Park. I don't want those kids that think I'm some strange old lady to think I'm a slow strange old lady!

Then it is on to one of the four major roads in town. I didn't take photos here because, again, I want to always keep moving here and pick up my pace so that I look awesome!

On a mid-week run I usually turn through the VA area, but not this time. (We'll cover that in another run!) For this run I continued straight and rejoined the bike path. The cemetery where my family members now reside is just across the freeway and the path continues in front of me. To the right is the VA grounds where I used to go to Vacation Bible School when I was much younger.

Once into the wooded area (where I refuse to run when it isn't the middle of the weekend day because I don't want to be attacked - plus it is very "Blair Witch Project" feeling, which I secretly totally enjoy) you don't notice the outside world at all. The path is peaceful, filled with fellow runners, people walking their dogs and groups of young guys playing disc golf.

Leaving the woods I run down a small hill and return back toward the other entrance to the VA and the City golf course. This is where I have been known to belt out some Lady Gaga and dance when alone during a rainy run.

I find myself running by the train (as seen in last week's long run) back where I started - at the park. This is the band shell where we have free concerts in the summer. Stay tuned for reviews of Pink Martini and Big Bad Voodoo Daddy later this year! (SO Excited!!)

Refill my water, throw some water on my head, arms, shoulders and legs, and I continue back up the path to the bridge. Nearly 4 miles in, I'm sure I've sweat off about twenty-pounds (if only!). I can barely even smile at this point. There's the river. There's me. There's me sweating by the river. Any questions?

Finally I hit the hill on the major road. To get home I always hit this hill - either running, or walking after my run is done. Today I happened to finish my 4 miles right at the base - phew! The fire station is across the street by a park. It looks like bean dip.


And that is a typical run for my weekend when I am home. The alternate route, which I will share later this week probably, is my normal path - and I believe I had to run that loop 4 times in a row while prepping for the Princess Half. It was a little tedious - but I like to feel safe and stick to places I know --- and near bathrooms, just in case!

10 comments:

  1. GIRLY WHOS GETTING FAST?! What do you do with all that clean air!?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fun to see your running route.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i love the idea of pictures:) your route is so green!!! great job. Any pain today??

    ReplyDelete
  4. AnonymousJune 06, 2011

    I love the photo running route blog! Great idea! It looks beautiful there!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a beautiful place to run! Thanks for sharing. I've been wanting to post some pictures of where I run, so I better do that soon!

    You totally would not like running in Minnesota in the summer. Today the temps hit 90 degrees... yuck!

    ReplyDelete
  6. When are the shows?!? You could convince me to drive a ways to see either of those two bands, especially for that price...heck, I might be inclined to bring a few (dozen) gelatin confections.

    ReplyDelete
  7. @Rene - not "pain" but just occasional stiffness in my left leg.

    @Natty - I'm not sure of the exact dates. Tuesday's in July I think. Maybe one in August? I'll hook you up with the info!

    ReplyDelete
  8. AnonymousJune 07, 2011

    Very scenic. Thanks for the tour of your run. We went from all rain and storms to 90s. It absolutely sucks!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. heh heh - I got mentioned!!!!

    It was so awesome to have met you for the Princess though.

    Maybe in 2013??

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading my little blog, your comments rock my compression socks!! ºoº