Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Run #4.15 - The Last Run?

I was up early in the morning to get in another run before Saturday's half marathon. My main goal was to test the Clif gel one more time (strawberry today) and see how my IT band was feeling. The gel went down fairly easy and never came back to haunt me. Hallelujah!

My IT band held up pretty well, but still just shy of 3 miles in I felt it. In total I ran 3 miles in just under 30 minutes. I've marked on my KT tape the spot that I feel it the most. I've got some Arctic Ease here to wrap around my leg. I might just see if the doctor could see me tomorrow at some point to shoot me up before race day. I don't know. I hate going in, and it isn't HORRIBLE pain, but every other run is painful. So really I need one more run before Saturday - to make Saturday feel better. Don't you just love my logic?

Today is the first day of our free concert series in the park I run through. By 6:30am there were already quite a few blankets in place!


For this run I went toward the VA again. I skipped that section when I did the photo run a couple of weeks ago. When I hit the VA I run through what used to be their golf course. The grass is getting longer now, but still nice and open, with big trees giving me shade once in a while!


Today I extended my turn around point just a little farther to show the buildings that I run by. I love these buildings - maybe 'cause they remind me of college. I'm just a sucker for big brick buildings with columns I suppose!


If you ever saw that fairly horrible movie Fire in the Sky, parts of it were filmed right here!  If you haven't seen it, please don't bother. Seriously, it is bad. But they were around our town a lot for it ... so I've only watched bits and pieces to see familiar sights and my dad's friend who walks through one scene.


So I'm not in pain right now. It did start to hurt at the end of the run, but I only ran 3 miles. I have 13.1 on Saturday. What do you pro runners think? Should I go to the doctor this week for a last minute dose of helpfulness? Or am I just screwed no matter what?

** UPDATE!! Thursday at 2pm I'm going in for the all powerful shots. Not Cortisone, but something even better he says! If he got shot up in his back and then won $$$$ at the golf tournament this week, then dang it, Sign Me Up!

9 comments:

  1. Tough call. Is there a downside (other than cost) in going to the doctor? I hope that IT band stays healthy on Saturday!

    p.s. - congrats on holding down the gu. I def couldn't.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I, too, am a sucker for big brick buildings with columns. I think I need to live in one someday :)

    I hope that shot fixes you all up in time for your race!

    ReplyDelete
  3. AnonymousJune 21, 2011

    I hope the shots help you!!!! Good luck!

    Glad to hear you were able to keep the gel down. Have you tried any others? I have a somewhat sensitive stomach and the Gu gels dont bug me at all.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I tried Gu once ... and immediately regretted it. I mean my body hated it so much I couldn't continue running anymore! So far I've done the Clif gel twice and both times without negative consequences! Phew!


    Rose - pick out a blanket - I bet I can slip on down and get it for you before the crowds show up!

    ReplyDelete
  5. AnonymousJune 21, 2011

    The places you run are beautiful! Sounds like your plan to get a shot will have you ready for the race - good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  6. AnonymousJune 21, 2011

    I highly recommend a sports chiro that knows A.R.T. Completely worth every cent. My IT was destroyed post San Diego... and was better in a couple days after my guy worked on it. A.R.T. hurts, but I am definitely back into things much, much faster.

    ReplyDelete
  7. YAY! Glad you have an appointment with your doc.

    I still can't keep GU in - I moved to Sport Beans instead!

    Happy Running!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm with Lesley. I highly recommend ART. A cortisone shot only helps temporarily, and it wears out your cartilage faster, too.

    Love the photos!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading my little blog, your comments rock my compression socks!! ºoº