Thursday, June 30, 2011

Seattle: Everclear, Bloggers, Hangover

When we left off I had just crossed the finish line in record slow time and had a medal around my neck. Freaking RAD medal, too!  I was quickly given some water and then found myself in line for the official finishers photos. I shared it a couple of posts ago, but I'm adding it again! Up next was food. They had quite a spread, and I grabbed one of everything, skipping the orange and Cytomax. What I wanted more than anything else was the space blanket! Finally, after four half marathons I was wrapping myself in this mysterious invention. Oh my gosh ... LOVE! I actually got quite hot!  

It took a bit, but Biker Boy and I were able to meet up. Turns out he never saw me finish (you know, 'cause I'm such a fast blur at the end there), but he DID get to see Stacie and Jason finish, so that's cool! If you haven't read her blog yet, while Jason was finishing his second half marathon Stacie was finishing her fourth one in June. Let's rephrase that ... her FOURTH half marathon THIS MONTH! Yeah, she rocks!  Once BB and I did meet up (and he gave me the world's largest snickerdoodle cookie from Pike Place Market!!) I was wrapped in my blanket and begging him for a picture with my new favorite toy - the space blanket!


Before I knew it I heard the announcement I was waiting a month for ... Everclear! SWEET!! We hurried over, found a spot of cement that looked comfy and I plopped my ass on the ground for the concert. It was awesome! I've seen Everclear before - going into the concert without being a fan - and left a fan that rushed out to buy a couple albums. It was pretty fun to be at a casual feeling concert with good music and not have to buy a ticket, get there really early, dress up like a groupie, buy a t-shirt, etc... I just chilled with my space blanket, medal and camera and was in heaven!

During the concert I exchanged texts with Stacie and Abby and sure enough was lucky enough to meet up with them! First up was Stacie. Her cool green socks made her easy to spot in the crowd! We exchanged race stories, talked about our upcoming race schedules and of course did the obligatory photo op. You have to, right? It's for the blog, dang it! ;)

RR and Stacie (Impossible is Nothing)
We hardly said good bye to Stacie and Jason when I turned behind me and spotted houndstooth! I spent all morning looking for a houndstooth skirt, and there it was. Who was wearing it? Abby! Abby is the one who, in a post asking what race should I squeeze in for June, suggested this race. The next day I registered for it and totally started stalking her blog. She was visiting the PacNW from New York! Quite the trek she made and I'm so glad we got to meet up! I swear we talked forever. Her BFF was with her as well, having just completed the marathon. Tons of fun, but eventually we had to part ways because I needed to shop!

Abby and RR
Biker Boy and I hit the official merchandise tent one more time, loading up on some last minute things I "had" to have, also earning a free shirt that I gave to BB since he was such a great support staff and cheerleader! We left the concert area (AFTER it was over, obviously) and slowly walked back toward our hotel, catching a bus along the way. Changed clothes in the hotel restroom and then returned to the streets of downtown Seattle for some sightseeing and food. 


You can guarantee I proudly sported my ratty braided hair, finisher's medal, "official" jacket and Nike Pride shirt (it was Pride weekend in Seattle). We ended up near the Pike Place market at a seafood restaurant on a pier. How cool is that? Sat outside right on the water and the weather was perfect. Sadly, however, my body was not. My legs felt fine, it was my insides that hated me. Usually my hangover kicks in the following day, but I was immediately feeling really sick. I had a yummy vegetarian fettuccine but couldn't even put a dent in it. I wanted to take it home, but it wouldn't have made it all the way to Portland. Bummer.

On our walk back we ended up at that strange public transit area again. Here's a picture  that can maybe help explain our confusion? Underground street? Buses? Subway? 


Instead of paying to ride this mystery machine, we got back on the free bus and took it as far as we could toward the Space Needle. When we got there the line was pretty long. And by "pretty long" I mean there was no way this hungover girl was going to stand and wait 40 minutes (after waiting in the line just to buy a freaking ticket) to ride to the top of a building and see water and buildings. I'll do it next time I visit. We did wander around the complex and saw them setting up for the next day's Pride festival. What is it that I always end up by the rainbows and the lovely gays? It's like a magnet!

There is the Space Needle to the left of this paragraph. Biker Boy overheard a bus tour talking about the cool reflection of the Space Needle in this building. We immediately took out our cameras! Such tourists!




Ready for Pride!
I was completely worn out. I wanted to walk down to Pier 70 to reenact the "slap heard 'round the world" from Real World Seattle, but I just didn't have it in me. We had checked out the Underground Tour as well, but they were full until 5. Guess I'll have to go back in 2012!  Hopped on the monorail and went back to the hotel to get the car. I was spent. No more. I needed to go home.

The drive home was easy, but we were both REALLY drowsy. I was asleep on Biker Boy's couch while it was still daylight. I guess I made it until 8pm maybe? Ugh, this was just the worst I've ever felt, internally, after a race ... yet the best I've ever felt physically! Strange!

Very fun trip. Next year we've decided we'll book earlier and stay for TWO nights instead of just one. After all, I HAVE to get "slapped" by that pier or I won't be satisfied! 

Here's some video I took at the concert. Now you can pretend you were there!

8 comments:

  1. Looks like a lot of fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a super cool photo of the Space Needle - I don't think I've ever noticed that before. But the public transit center is the underground bus tunnel (I think its official name is the Metro Bus Tunnel, fancy I know).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very interesting! We were just so confused. We got on after the game and we were outside at this platform. The next thing we knew we were underground!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Man oh man. So many of you went to this! So fun!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ugh... I can't stand stomach issues during or after a race! Looks like you enjoyed your time post-race even if you weren't feeling the greatest. Love the photos!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks like a total blast!

    ReplyDelete
  7. oh no, you missed the Real World re-enactment?!!?

    Looks like you had a great time!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading my little blog, your comments rock my compression socks!! ºoº