Thursday, July 28, 2011

Here She Comes to Save the Day!

It was just about 9am and the blond girl hopped into the junky blue Ford car that she drives for work. Just a regular day with a regular trip to the post office and bank. The weather was typical for Oregon this summer - overcast with a slight breeze. The girl pulled into the post office's back loading dock, rang the buzzer and continued listening to the radio while waiting for someone to bring her the mail. Shortly, a small man with white hair came out and was as friendly as ever. He gave her the mail, and as she walked toward the car he said to her, "smells like some one's having a fire this morning." She paused, also noticed the smell of smoke and said, "Yeah, it sure does. Heck, I wouldn't mind sitting by a lovely fireplace right now!" They chuckled, said good bye and parted ways.

As the girl began to back out of the loading dock something caught her eye. "Hm, is there normally steam coming from that back corner?" she thought to herself. "No, I don't think so. Wait a minute, could there ...." Afraid to finish her thought, instead of leaving to the left, the very attractive blond girl turned right. After just a few seconds she looked back to the origin of this steam/smoke cloud and sure enough what she hoped wasn't happening was. The ever so brave, very attractive, intelligent blond girl hurried out of the road way, pulled over (so as not to break the law) and pulled out her phone.

9-1-1, what is your emergency?
Hi! Yeah, the post office is on fire!
The what?? Which one?
THE post office! The main one on Kane Street. I am staring at it right now. It is at the back of the building, right next to some one's car!
Ok. We'll send someone there right away. Can I get your name?
R____
And your last?
F_______
And your number?
5__-___-____
Thank you. So do you live over there? Were you walking by?
I work for the ____. I was just there picking up our mail and saw it when I pulled out to leave!
Alright. Thank you. We may call you later.

The blond, very attractive, intelligent, brave, fast-thinking girl realized what happened. Once again she was a hero! She has AGAIN saved the city from fire! Soon she saw the first police car arrive and rush to help clear the scene. Feeling confident that it would be alright (Heaven forbid this week's Oil Can Henry's coupons be destroyed in the fire!), the heroine of our story continued on to the bank to continue with her daily routine. Sirens started blazing, the fire department was on there way. All was saved!

In the end, the moral of the story is, don't smoke. And if you do, don't toss your cigarette aside haphazardly. You just might set your place of employment on fire, and the Fruit Fly might not always be there to save the day!


**Because I can't save everyone, as much as I would like to (my superhero cape and mask are in the works, FYI) I leave you with this last message.... especially important for those of us that run in the sun! WEAR YOUR SUNSCREEN!!! I just learned yesterday that someone I've known since kindergarten, that I share step-cousins with, has just been diagnosed with stage 4 melanoma and it has moved into his lungs. He is 33. I know we get in a hurry sometimes and just rush out of the house, or we leave before the sun is really out. Let's all slow down, lather up and be sure to take care of ourselves!

13 comments:

  1. thats two heroic civil duties in the past 6 months. you must be a superhero or something!

    skin cancer is super scary! i try my best to coat myself in SPF everyday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE all the adjectives you used to describe that girl. I believe they are totally appropriate!

    Yikes on skin cancer. I also just found out yesterday that a former co-worker at the newspaper has cancer. She is not even 30 years old. Something about cancer in her female organ(s), rare, only 1 in 400. Docs believed they caught it in the early stages and will start chemo soon. Makes you think, right?

    ReplyDelete
  3. AnonymousJuly 28, 2011

    Did you ever know that you're my hero? You're everything I wish I could be. ;)

    Cancer SUCKS! :( Prayers for your friend

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's time for our attractive super hero to get a key to the city!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You my friend, are a true american hero. When are the going to give you the key to the city?

    So sorry to hear about your friend. Skin cancer sucks. My friend just had some pre cancerous stuff taken off her back. Sunscreen is our bff.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My great-uncle lost his nose to skin cancer, I never met him but it made quite the impression on my mom so preventing skin cancer has always been a big deal in my house. Imagine having no nose just because you wanted a little sun!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm very fair skinned so I really try to wear sunscreen all the time.

    YOU ARE MY HEEEEEEERO!

    ReplyDelete
  8. ugh, I hate hearing stories like that about skin cancer : (

    But nice job saving the day!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh! You are FREAKING AWESOME!!!

    I ought to send you my cape for a while :) That deserves it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. AnonymousJuly 29, 2011

    Haha, you are a hero! An dskin cancer is NO good :(

    Whitney

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hey hero- you won my recycled giveaway! I will be making a run to post office on monday to mail out some other things, so if you email me at jamesondirect@yahoo.com where you would like the running tank sent to, I will add that to the list of things that goes out at the beginning of the week :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. You are awesome! I agree with Kim... you should totally get a key to the city!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading my little blog, your comments rock my compression socks!! ºoº