Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Racer Poll + Runner Wants

1st ... Google+. Who's using it? So far I like it. I mean it gives me a little distraction now and then. More people need to get on it though. I look like a freaking Chatty Cathy - surprise surprise. Ooh, can't say that anymore. I type that and hear Casey Anthony saying it from jail. Hm. Okay.....

See that cute one on the left? Yeah, she's totally famous!
2nd ... Let's pretend you are a NEW runner. You've never done a race, but you have a BIG one scheduled. Let's say your friend (who is really super cool and I'm not being biased because I am talking about myself) is putting together a little gift bag/survival kit. It would include things that you wish you had known about before you ran your first races. Like iFitness belts. I had a Spi belt, but won an iFitness one through Giraffy's blog and I freaking LOVE it! Double pockets. Stays in place. Must-have! Other things ... fuels? Sports Beans? GU? How about the current issue of Runner's World? Not just because it is the half marathon edition, but how about because it has awesome fellow bloggers in it!  So I ask you fellow runners of all different experience levels .... What do you wish you had known about? I know I wish I had tried compression socks/sleeves way earlier. I ran for over a year before buying some and I just love them. Any and all suggestions are welcome! I want to help make this a cool little something and motivator and also show my support in the crazy endeavor of preparing for your first race (which happens to be a half marathon). So thanks in advance. I know you'll offer up things I hadn't even thought of!

3rd .... Role Call! There are some big races coming up for me, and I just kinda want to know who is doing them as well!  First up is Lacamas Lake Half Marathon. I might be solo in this one since it is small and in what looks to be a tiny Washington town.  Disneyland Half and 5K .... who's down?? I know there are a few of us getting our Coast to Coast medal that weekend. So check in and tell me you'll be there!  Portland Marathon. I'm running the half. Any other Pacific NW runners planning on being there as well?  VIVA LAS VEGAS!! I am sooo excited about the Rock'n'Roll Las Vegas Half Marathon. I wanted to do it last year but was waiting for the Princess to be my first half marathon. So now finally I have it in my focus. Who else will be there??  And the last big one in the coming months (sure, I plan ahead and may be searching for plane tickets) ... Walt Disney World in January. Are you running in any of the races?  Smaller races - Prefontaine Memorial and Warrior Dash in Portland. Anyone registered for that? Do it. Sign up. You know you want to.

31 comments:

  1. Just joined google+ yesterday, still trying to work it all out.

    I think a survival kit is awesome- definitely would have helped me when I started out as well- great suggestion

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the survival kit! Headbands, hair ties, and a handheld are my three must-haves!

    As we've discussed, I cannot wait for Disneyland!! #1 is running the 5K, and I'm kind of freaked out because it never occured to me that I wouldn't be able to meet her at the finish line. Eek.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, I noticed that the start and finish aren't the same. Well Biker Boy will be at the "wherever area" since he isn't running it. Rose and I will be at the finish. I bet #1 finishes before we do, however.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Headbands - good idea!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sunscreen, chapstick, and no slip hairties!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Giraffy - maybe we can meet up before the 5K and I can meet #1 and if we get along I could meet her at the finish and hang with her. Kids seems to like me...just an idea.

    And I would like - running socks, handheld water bottle thing, decent ear buds, snacks, hair bands are a must for me, and I think that just a general check list of items that could help out if I got into it would be cool too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. BB ... you CAN'T meet #1 at the finish. YOU can't get to the finish. You can hang with Giraffy!

    And when you grow long hair, I'll get you headbands.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I bet I could figure out a way to get to the finish...I have ways you know.

    And I guess that I will just have to grow out my hair! Challenge Excepted.

    ReplyDelete
  9. BB -challenge NOT accepted! NO growing out of your locks again. No more Jew fro! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. BB - If you find a way to sneak to the finish line, I'm tagging along :D.

    FF - I bet she does finish. I tried telling her this isn't really a RACE, but. She's a little competitive. To quote her, she's going to "dominate".

    ReplyDelete
  11. We should start taking bets now. How much faster will #1 finish than Ronda & Rose??

    I give her at least 10 minutes on us. At least! Heck I just hope Rose and I can maintain the 16 minute mile on that one!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ha. Shall we create a "Guess #1's Time" challenge?! I think that deserves a giveaway....

    ReplyDelete
  13. Totally!

    I already have a clear vision of her at that race. Rose & I will be there, in costumes of reptilian nature, and #1 will be dressed for speed. She'll be nervous, but focused and not trying to shower her nerves. (I'll be nervous that I'll have to pee and will be in a costume unable to go). She'll cross the finish line at a fast pace, forgetting to ham it up for the camera because she is trying to pass someone at the end. I'll just be trying to finish. She'll be showered and eating by the time Rose and I hit the 3 mile mark.

    I don't have an active imagination at all.

    ReplyDelete
  14. OMG, I'm dying. You summed up her 5K in june perfectly. Chick was in the food line when I wandered off the course :D. EVERY picture of her, she's totally focused on running. It's hysterical.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Lacamas Lake isn't in a small town, it's in a suburb of Vancouver which is really a big suburb of Portland. Small town atmosphere like Oregon City with a little downtown area, but not small like you're thinking. It's all just part of the sprawl. Parts of the course are really beautiful around the lake. Parts of the course would be beautiful country road-type stuff except for the exhaust fumes of the people on the country roads.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks, Cilley - good to know! I seriously registered without even really knowing a thing about the race. I just saw Lake and Medal and was sold!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Someone gave me some toilet paper before my first race. Probably the best tip ever for understocked porta-potties.

    I wish I had a Bondi Band right from the beginning. And do you think someone could've told me about biofreeze while I was writhing in pain? Would've like that little tidbit.

    And I can't even tell you how bad I want to go to Vegas for that race. I just don't think its in the cards :(

    ReplyDelete
  18. Good tips, Kelly! You just gave me a little idea on something!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Body glide. I had serious chaffing from a Target sports bra in my first long race.

    I'm a southern runner but I'm running the Portland 1/2.

    ReplyDelete
  20. AnonymousJuly 12, 2011

    Throw in some nipple band-aids for me :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. I would love to run the RocknRoll Vegas but I'm not sure it's in the budget this year..

    I'm just beyond thrilled I'm mentally back in the running game... it's been what...3 or 4 months?!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I'm not a racer yet, but I second the BodyGlide comment. If I don't have it, I don't run!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Body Glide, chapstick, Powerade powder, iTunes gift card, Chocolate #9 (I like it better than GU).

    Really, we're not running together again until next May at this rate...

    ReplyDelete
  24. Giraffy and Fruit Fly I am in for Disneyland and would love to meet you ladies! Fruit Fly am also doing the Disney marathon in January and either watching or volunteering for the Half. Bloggers in real life, how fun!

    ReplyDelete
  25. a) I'm on Google+ and don't get it yet
    b) I'm not famous, but I appreciate you saying so
    c) that is one of the most UNCUTE pictures of me ever =)

    ReplyDelete
  26. Body Glide, comfortable running socks, something to keep your hair back (I personally use clips or bobby pins b/c my hair is short), Clif Shot Bloks, iPod ('cuz I can't live w/o my tunes!). Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  27. The survival kit needs sweaty bands, good running socks, a pacing band or tat.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Gummy Bears!! They were my saving grace at the hardest of times. Headbands for SURE- but for the sake of cost- DON'T buy the sweaty bands! I have made identical ones that are cheaper!! 2 for $20 rather than $15 a piece! Fruit- email me for deets on Facebook and I can hook your little gift basket up! PLUS- I am donating all of the proceeds to The Leukemia & Lymphoma society! My friends love them, and are demanding more! :)

    ReplyDelete
  29. Just thought of something else.. you need to add something that has 13.1 on it.

    ReplyDelete
  30. AnonymousJuly 14, 2011

    Vaseline/tape/gauze - it can be used for anything! I use it to protect my flat feet from blistering. Vaseline also works better than body glide and is WAY cheaper.

    Sport beans rock - I compared their stats to gu - the same or better, without that nasty slimy feeling.

    A visor! I can't run in a hat, makes my head too hot, but now I won't run without my visor! Keeps the sun off of my face (and it's pink!)

    ReplyDelete
  31. I know not of this google+ thing...better check it out. :)

    SURE HOPE you and I will see each other at the PRE memorial!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading my little blog, your comments rock my compression socks!! ºoº