Saturday, July 16, 2011

Run #5.6 - Who Are All These People?

Thursday night I wanted to run but I have no idea what I did ... for some reason when I got home from my mom's birthday dinner I could not move. I couldn't sit up straight. Putting on my pajamas was hard and getting into my bed almost made me cry. So no running for me. Set an early alarm for Friday, but when I woke up I was still hurting. Cut to Friday after work .... I felt so much better and was putting on my running clothes.

By the time I set out, close to 7pm, the weather had cooled off a hair, although it was still on the warm side for me. It was a brave thing to do, but I went out without anything extra. No compression socks/sleeves, no KT tape, no compression band. Just my legs and my self. I'm happy to report that I never had ANY pain at all!! Halle-freaking-lujah!

When I got to the park I use as my central location I noticed tons of people. What the heck? There were gymnastics girls on the stage by the river. Huh? I got closer and saw popcorn and hot dog vendors.  I had to alter my path because it was blocked. My water stop was on the other side of the masses. I ran around the building, hit the water fountain and paused my Garmin. Face painters?? Who are these people? Why are they here? This is MY path, not theirs!

A few sips of warm fountain water later and I was back on my way. Hit 1.5 and turn around. At 2.1 I end up back at my park and the water fountain. Now I see women in gypsy looking outfits? And even MORE people? I was so confused. Then it hit me. I looked around and spotted 3 faces I knew.  It was Movies in the Park night. Everybody was heading down to watch Marmaduke once it got dark out. The gymnastics girls were pre-show entertainment I guess, and then they were having belly dancers. 

At least it all made sense! I am so used to running on Thursday nights that I forgot it was Friday night and the park would be busy. I did walk down to the area where my co-workers are (my work is in charge of the movies) and said hello and talked running a bit. One woman was in her Vibrams. I checked them out. I think I'll stick with regular shoes. I just can't see myself running in five-fingers ever.

I walked back up to the top of the hill away from the park guests and then began my final .9 mile stretch home. The bad part of this is that the 2 uphills in my route are always on the way home. But I did them, and better than ever! Ooh - and on the first part of my run (on a flat part!) I managed to go sub-8!! Sure it was for only a second or three, but whatever, it counts!

.....p.s. ......  My running pace was 9:36!!!

6 comments:

  1. Great job on the run and movies in the park sound like so much!

    ReplyDelete
  2. AnonymousJuly 16, 2011

    GREAT RUN! Awesome job sounds like you're healed!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice run, speedypants.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would be proud of sub 8 no matter how long it was. Great job!! I love outdoor summer movies :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great run! You are getting fast!

    ReplyDelete
  6. AnonymousJuly 23, 2011

    What? Who's pace is that? Where is my RR? ;-) Awesome.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading my little blog, your comments rock my compression socks!! ºoº