Friday, July 22, 2011

Run #5.8 - Last Run + BB=RB?

I really suck at getting up to run. I'm fine for race day, but if it is just a training run before work? Forget about it. I'm terrible! My alarm went off at 5:20. I finally got out of my bed at 5:45. I left the house to run after 6:30. Seriously, SLACKER!!  

The plan was 3 miles. By the time my Garmin found a signal I had lost a few minutes. I got down to the park and paused for water at my usual fountain - I hadn't had any water since yesterday at work. Resumed running and even tackled part of a hill until I hit 1.25. Decided to turn around and adjust my run to 2.5 miles due to time and needing to actually get ready for work. For some reason I decided to haul ass. I was going at 8 minute mile pace. WHAT?? Yeah, so my 2.5 turned into 2 just because I was pooped, thirsty and hungry. That's okay though. I'm not stressed. I mean I can't do anything more to prepare for the Lacamas Lake Half Marathon on Sunday, so no worries.

Walking home the last bit I was passed by a running man in his early 60's, balding, sweating. I'm glad I was at least walking and off the timer when he passed. He was very friendly; we exchanged hellos and good mornings. As I got closer to my house I saw the man I consider to be my Kenyan. Beautiful, dark skin. Tall. Thin. Steady, fast pace. We've only ever crossed paths going in opposite directions, so at least I've never had the humiliation of having him fly by me on the sidewalk. He was on the other side of the main road, but I could clearly make out his shirt. "WIN THE DAY". I loved it! It felt like such a runner/mutual respect moment when we both then made eye contact and waved .... waved across 5 lanes of traffic!  That made me smile. Just that little moment was the perfect way to cap off this round of training!

So next up ... Sunday is my fifth half marathon. But what's that? Breaking news? This just in .... Biker Boy is about to be RUNNER Boy?? Perhaps he was swayed by my facebook poll?  Final vote (I think) was 25 YES and 1 NO ... to the question if BB should run the half marathon on Sunday. Naturally, and to no surprise to me, the one solo NO vote was from S, Just Trying's husband. It totally made me laugh. So much for our Titanic bond, S! ;)  Anyway, on his own accord, Biker Boy DID indeed sign up. He's never run a race in his life. His longest run so far has been with me when we did 8 miles a few weekends ago. I think he probably did closer to 9 that day. So this will be a new experience for him, and I fully expect his time to be much faster than any race I've ever done!  I'm thinking a guest post by Biker Boy of his race report will be in order??

7 comments:

  1. I love seeing other runners when I'm running. It definitely motivates me. Now the little girl who loops the neighborhood in a golf cart... not so much.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If he doesn't guest post I'm going to punch him in the face.

    How's that for incentive?

    ReplyDelete
  3. YES!!! And since we'll see you in 6 weeks you totally CAN punch him!

    ReplyDelete
  4. wow that's commitment to you that he would sign up on such short notice and training. I agree with Rose--- minus the punching!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Don't I have a say in any of this? Can I just tell my story and thoughts to Fly and she can write it all out/ If I do it, it will either read like a biology report or one very long confusing (I tend to jump around) sentence. Just saying.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good luck this weekend to both of you, FF and RB!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes to the guest post. :)
    Because, you know, when Ronda polls to see if BB should do a guest post, we will all say YES!

    And I like BB's spontaneous registering to run a half. Wonderful!

    So, have fun running RR and BB ....

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading my little blog, your comments rock my compression socks!! ºoº