Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Snippets from a Half Marathon

Adding this again 'cause I love it!
*Just as a little factoid, there was a walking division. They started 5 minutes after the runners. I just looked at their chip times. TWENTY-SEVEN walkers finished before I, a "runner", finished the half marathon. Color me impressed! I should have just registered as a walker!

Between Miles 2 and 3 we were in a nice, shady stretch of road. There were no cones on the road, that I recall in THIS particular section, that runners had to be sure NOT to trip over. Come on, haven't you tripped on something during a race? I personally crashed into two girls back to back during the Shamrock 15K. I know one of you ran into a garbage can during a half marathon last November ... and STILL had an amazing finish time. 
 
Anyway .... we are running along and it was really nice. I was fresh, I was running by cool people and enjoying myself. Suddenly "HOOOONNNNKKKK"!!! A car comes up and lays on the horn. My gut reaction was, "Seriously?" with an annoyed tone. I look to my right and there is a truck with lights from traffic control slowly driving through. Behind him? Some jackass old man with his two dogs. And you know what? That jackass was NOT nice to me. I couldn't make out all of his words, but he was saying mean things and complaining about us runners. Thanks a lot, Grandpa!

I continue at my pace, thoroughly annoyed now. In all of my races I've never had a spectator or resident be anything but supportive. I love grandpas. They are my favorite people. This guy was NOT a typical grandpa. Ugh. I guess I've just been lucky so far. I pass by these two guys that were also kind of jittery after the horn. Oh yeah - he kept honking! It wasn't just that one time. He kept doing it for the entire stretch of the road. I never expect that during a race, and obviously neither did the other runners, as I could see everybody ahead jump when he honked at them. So as I pass the two guys I turned back with this confused look. And now here is our amusing conversation:

"Um, is it just me or was that a dickish move?" - me
"Yeah, totally dickish. I need a shower after that one!"
- dude

Ah, loved them. I wish I could have stayed with them, but they were steady and didn't stop for the little potty party at the mile 4 aid station like I did. They cheered me on later in the course though, right when I needed it -- I believe I was facebooking at that moment!

Anyway, that's my story.

I also saw a dog in the lake just standing. I wanted to join him. He was hot so he just walked out until he was comfortable and stood in one spot and smiled. Smart dog!

9 comments:

  1. I totally love that picture!!!

    Honking, really? Bleh.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had a similar experience in a 5k I ran this year. My friend and I were the last two runners and it was pouring rain. The police had "closed" the roads so we could all finish the course because it went through residential and part of the main strip. Apparently, the police got antsy waiting or us because as my friend and I were trying to finish the course, the police started letting cars through!! We almost got hit about 4 times. Awful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. the photo rocks.

    loving the purple socks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. AnonymousJuly 27, 2011

    Dear Grandpa,
    Go be cranky somewhere else.
    Love, Runners

    P.S. Love the outfit, especially the skirt :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. AnonymousJuly 27, 2011

    Oh and btw, I did a tri one time where only one lane of the road was closed for us and I had to ride past a moving semi. AHHHHH

    ReplyDelete
  6. Crabby people at races? Not cool! Your photo- very cool!

    Dogs in lakes can inspire a person to finish and join them :))

    ReplyDelete
  7. That really is a great picture! I'm jealous.

    I can't even imagine if I'm caught in a photo this Saturday how heinous I'm going to look. I'm one of those people that gets really red in the face during any cardio and sweats very 'effectively'.

    ReplyDelete
  8. 1. you look amazing
    2. WAY DICKY (maybe a fly will fall right into his drink)?
    3. Im already considering my Disney outfit :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. That car crap happened to me at RnR Dallas. I refused to move out from in front of the car. Idiot!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading my little blog, your comments rock my compression socks!! ºoº