Friday, August 26, 2011

I Ride a Wicked Noodle Horse!

Let me tell you .... today was the most fun day of water aerobics ever! I am so glad I am in this class. I think poor water aerobics has been getting a bad rap all these years. I mean everybody laughs at it as this old grandma class, and true, I might be the only non-grandma there, but it is so fun! And a great work out. I've realized that I can just up my intensity level and I feel each move even more. Even just after walking up and down some stairs I was really feeling today's exercises!

Today was a MUCH smaller class - only 5 of us, compared the to the 13 from Monday. I liked the smaller class because we were able to spread out even more (it has never felt crowded), we could socialize easier... and we got to ride our noodle horses!

So those noodle things, we use some that seem to be heavier? sturdier? what is the word? .... than the ones that I see for sale at Wal-Mart type stores for kids to play on. I never understood the noodle. But oh my gosh - I freaking love them now! After our warm-up we put our regular weights on the side and grabbed noodles. The instructor then said, "Okay, I want you to straddle your noodle like a horse!" Of course, being the grown up that I am, I immediately get the giggles over that one.  We ended up swimming laps multiple times - while "riding our horses" - using different leg and arm movements each time. There was so much laughter that it ended up being an abdominal exercise, too! Another woman exercising, not in our class, started loudly singing the Rawhide song which added a lovely effect I think! ;) One lady and I were teased about being behind everybody else (they did have a head start) so naturally the racer in me had to ramp it up into high gear and go flying by everyone. I think I'm going to have to come up with a good pet name for my noodle horse!

Today felt like the best overall workout, but I think that is probably due to my feeling more comfortable and really pushing and making sure I was always doing the moves the right way and making the most use out of my weights. We finished off with some Tai Chi, which was a first for me. And then, as per usual, my favorite thing .... stretching the IT Band. Ah, feels so good!

When class ended we all just lingered and floated. I bonded with the judge and we shared stories of court rooms and trials, etc. I have jury duty next month - perhaps I'll see her in action!

Tomorrow Biker Boy and I are now spontaneously considering a 5K race that is happening here in town. I don't do local races, but the big cheese at work is trying to get me to do it, so I'm considering. Also, tomorrow morning I go to the Y to meet up with a dude and have my weight room orientation. I'm sure he'll just love it if I show up all sweaty and stinky post race, right? 

7 comments:

  1. Which 5K????

    What did you think of Tai chi? I took a term in college and...well...I do not have a chi! ha :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ok this post cracked me up and made me smile. Glad you are enjoying the water aerobics class. The noodle horse thing is too funny! Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. hahaha!! Love it!! This post made me laugh! Sounds like your water aerobics class is a blast!! :)

    High ho silver... away!!! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love how much you are loving this class!!!

    And I am very excited about your gym date tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have a big smile on my face reading this post. I think it is great that you are getting so much out of your Y membership! :)
    Can't wait to read about the 5K and how the sweaty meet/greet with the weights guy turn out. Let us know!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That swimsuit is so cute!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's so cool you're using your Y membership as much as possible. I'm glad you're enjoying your water aerobics class... sounds like a great way to mix people-watching and a good workout!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading my little blog, your comments rock my compression socks!! ºoº